back to article Cisco beefs up fixed port Ethernet switches

Switch maker and server wannabe Cisco Systems is making big bets that video streaming over the internet will be the next killer app - and one that will drive its revenue and profits in the new decade as voice over IP did in the prior one. Today Cisco put some new fixed-port Ethernet switches into the field to support video …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Murray Fraser
    Unhappy

Not 10 Gigabit switches

Both switches come with either 24 or 48 ** 10/100/1000 ** ports

eg.. not 10 gigabit switches, they just support 2 * 10 gig uplinks.

1. Sean Bergeron

Please

Because hosts with 10g are just so prevalent in most enterprises. Hell, I've yet to see a single facility wired completely for gigabit.

What disturbs me about these is the 1100W power. It's almost to the point where you'll have to start taking switch and router power/heat into as much as you do servers. Make that noisy HP server look downright miserly.....

2. Grumpy Fellow
    Coat

... Slower Gigabit Ethernet?

I realize that this article has a marketing slant, but that oxymoron woke me up!

<Mines the one with the pocket full of BNC T-connectors and 50 ohm terminators.>

3. Adam 73
    WTF?

Errrrr.............

"to share each others' power supplies through a feature called StackPower. This provides even more resiliency in the network gear, and it will be interesting to see if server and storage array makers offer similar capability soon."

Errrr sorry to break this to you, but isnt this what blade servers do ................?

Adam

4. DRendar
    Thumb Up

I don't want a damn titile!

"Some models are designed for Layer 2 in the network (LAN Base) while others are designed for Layer 3 (IP Base)."

Not quite - you are referring to the software version. there are three - LAN Base, IP Base and IP Services... The HARDWARE is identical - just as you can buy an IP Base 3750 now and drop IP services onto it without so much as a peep from it.

Yes it breaks some kind of licensing rule, but when you have a network of hundreds of the buggers, and a hardware support contract approaching £millions. The odd IOS upgrade is overlooked.

"The 3750-X also supports Cisco's StackWise Plus clustering technology for switches, which allows for up to nine switches to be lashed together as a logical group with a master node switch being designated as the king of the routing table for the group and updating the others."

Erm NO. Stackwise allows you to 'lash' up to 9 devices together into one logical DEVICE with a 64Gb backplane, not group of switches. It has naff all to do with clustering. When a device is added to the stack it becomes an actual part of it, so put two 48 port switches in a stack and you get one 96port switch, not two switches controlled by one of them.

"This means a switch in the group of nine can be taken down and replaced without network traffic being affected."

Other than the devices attached to the unit you're replacing! LOL

And as long as you have multiple uplinks from multiple members of the stack

It's great news about the 2960-S though - FINALLY CISCO!! you've got stackable edge switches.

About F***ing time!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like