back to article Opera unleashes final Opera Mini 5 and Opera Mobile 10

Opera has released final versions of its Opera Mini 5 browser for Java-based phones and BlackBerries and its Opera Mobile 10 browser for Symbian S60-based devices and Windows Mobile phones. Opera Mini is the Norwegian outfit's low-bandwidth mobile browser - a lightweight Opera incarnation that taps into proxy servers that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

EU Courts Time

Think Opera should be pushing the EU to ensure it's availability on the iPhone. The current apps market is obviously a monopoly and needs some nudging in the right direction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

God no

because it will end up with the same farce as is happening with ie and Micro$haft

the EU cannot be trusted to find its way out of a paper bag even if they have a miners helmet, a lamp on the helmet and a map, with a sat nav device, and a compass (both of which work).

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

EU courts?

You are both drunk or something.

Opera never went to the courts. All they did was to report Microsoft's criminal activity.

Apple didn't break any laws, unlike Microsoft, which abused its OS dominance to destroy competition in the browser market.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

EU courts?

Apple are quite blatantly restricting Opera from being installed on the iPad-mini.

What is good for M$ is good for crApple.

1. Anonymous Coward
            FAIL

Monopoly

Microsoft has a 90-95% market share. Apple has nowhere near that. At best, the iPhone has a market share of 10-50%, and Android is quickly taking over.

2. Mr Brush
    Thumb Up

Very impressed with mini5 beta ...

... but it does hang around in memory after quiting on my Hero, using up ~10Mb of valuable RAM.

Here's hoping the final version doesn't do this, I can't see it in the market yet.

I know I can use a task killer to get rid, but the app should really quit cleanly, or at least offer me the option of turning off background running if it is doing some random sync thing that I don't need.

Obviously this won't be a problem if there's an iPhone version due to the lack of third party multitasking. *runs*

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I want Beta 2 back!

Terrific, so far I've had to take the battery out of my Blackberry twice because the browser has locked up. And to add insult to injury it now doesn't work with First Direct Internet Banking...

Cut and paste would have been useful as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ok its not as bad as I first thought.

Right, now I've been using it a bit its growing on me as it seems to be more stable now and I've also discovered that it does have a 'cut and paste' feature after all. It's a bit clunky mind as its obviously been designed with touch screen in mind. If you press '1' you get a pop up to select text.

Still not happy about my Internet Banking not working though, as with Beta 2 I could for the first time bank from my phone, but now its gone again....

BB Bold 9700 btw.

4. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Replaces 4.2, but not 5beta2?

My complaint is that it attempts to replace 4.2 but does not touch 5beta2 on my Java phones (SonyEricsson K790a and K850i, running Java Platform 7 and 8, respectively.) This is a minor concern as I happen to rather like 4.2 and am not ready to just jump on-board without testing the final release's feed functionality (which was all but missing in the betas,) amongst other things.

Though, it is comforting to know that I can remove 5 and go back to 4.2 and not lose anything thanks to the synchronization feature. That is very handy, especially when running multiple devices and having to deal with the occasional must-reflash-the-firmware-to-get-my-SonyEricsson-working-again-because-they-won't-release-any-more-bug-fixes scenario.

Yeah, SE, I am looking squarely at you for abandoning devices and carrying bugs from one JP version to the next.

Paris, looking squarely at you, too.

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Paris Hilton

Works nicely so far, much like the beta

Eh, it works pretty much like the beta2 release, and I particularly like the download manager, although it does seem to be slower than 4.2 at downloading large files (25MB MP3,) and at drastically affects the phone performance as a whole at speed.

Getting to feeds is not easy. The *0 shortcut is gone, so it now takes at least two movements: #5 to get to bookmarks, and then moving the pointer and selecting Feeds. Bring back *0, please.

The tabs are handy, and it even seems to handle pop-ups and framed pages (like Horde/IMP) pretty well.

Paris, handles pop-ups pretty well.

5. Paul Bottomley
    Stop

Opera is Norwegian??

Forgive my interruption to this "aTypical debate", but for those of you punting the "Opera, EU, Microsoft, apple" take them to court, might want to consider that Norway isn’t in the EU.

6. MarkOne
    Thumb Up

Opera really is the biz...

With Mini 5 and Opera 10.50 being the best in field, it's good times at Opera. They just need to get their marketshare and public awareness up.

10.50 already spanked Chrome and everything else. Opera 10.51 is even better still..

http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/results.action?key=3BK8

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like