back to article Computer forensics tool for banks aims to trace Trojans

Transaction security firm Trusteer has launched a remote forensics service designed to allow banks to diagnose if a client's PC has been infected with malware following incidents of suspected fraud. The Flashlight service is designed to allow strains of malware to be quickly identified without having to physically examine a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re; Rapport offering

HSBC keep pushing this on their on line banking service - right next to McAfee

You'd expect them to detect being accessed via Linux (dedicated install for online banking at that), realise no b****** use as it doesn't support Linux and it can only make them look less than computer literate

1. Andrew 47
      Megaphone

linux moron

Right, so you expect them to bother to put in application logic to filter out the offer of the software for the miniscule percentage of linux users on the internet banking. You're taking the piss.

Now, if you were getting an "upgrade your browser" message because it didn't recognise the user agent, that would be a different story.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Linux ... Moron ...

No.

Just ...

No.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re :

"Consumers wanting to safely connect to their internet banking service should use Linux or the Apple iPhone, according to a detective inspector from the NSW Police, who was giving evidence on behalf of the NSW Government at the public hearing into Cybercrime today in Sydney."

3. Anonymous Coward
        Grenade

Windows Moron

Nuff said.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Flame

Not sure what planet you are on Andrew

But they have taken the effort to list Linux as being not compatible in the FAQs

They seem to have failed to provide a way for me to stop the message coming up about downloading it - it comes up almost every time I try logging on

and I use Windows more than I use Linux (but use which ever is available)- but I keep a dedicated boot for things I do not want compromised - so it only visits a few selected websites and Linux is cheaper and easier to do that on

Finally being someone who writes software for a living - I hate seeing code that seems to ignore the basic requirements of usability

2. Oninoshiko
    Boffin

anyone else misread that as

fleshlight?

(maybe i need new glasses)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Is not compatible with Zone Alarm or Avast installations

Anyone can download Trusteer's Rapport plug-in [1] and it's write up sounded so good I thought I would give it a whirl, but then I discover it is not compatible with Zone Alarm or Avast [2].

[1] http://www.trusteer.com/webform/download-rapport

[2] http://consumers.trusteer.com/za-avast

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is not compatible with Zone Alarm + Avast (Combined)

Re-read your second link - it is only when both Zone Alarm and Avast are installed that there is a problem.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

browser lock-down technology ?

How about keeping executable code and data seperate, and using embedded hardware to set executable memory as read only.

6. JP19

Malware

Rapport behaves pretty much like a trojan. I never tried it, someone who has tells me it is difficult to remove (because like a trojan it doesn't want to be disabled or removed).

Now they want it to collect data and phone home, looking even more like malware.

All these add on security things are going to conflict with measures you take to avoid what they try to protect you from. I notice Halifax online banking has some invisible Flash things which I assume are some attempt at enhanced security but my enhanced security blocks them anyway.

If I was really worried about online banking security (and maybe I should be) then VMWare player and a little appliance dedicated to the task seems like a good solution, sadly with all the crap banks put on the web pages it would probably need one of the 'big' browsers with their big set of vulnerabilities.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like