back to article Google tests TV set-top search, says report

Google is privately testing a television set-top box that lets users search satellite TV programming as well as video websites like its very own YouTube, according to a new report. Citing "people familiar with the matter," The Wall Street Journal reports that Mountain View is testing this Google software-powered set-top box in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tanuki
    Thumb Down

How quaint.

This is utterly last-millennium thinking.

The future is 'TV' stripped of ads, BitTorrent or other P2P as the transport mechanism, and with subtitles provided by one of a hundred fansubbing groups.

I'm in the UK. Here we have the BBC "TV-licence" tax on anyone who receives broadcast- or cable-TV. I'm happy to get my 'TV' a day or so behind via the 'net - and so not have broadcast receiving gear.

Truth is, too, that none of the Japanese anime series I really want are ever going to see broadcast in the UK. So here's to the hordes of fansubbers - and up yours BBC/Google!

2. Mike Flugennock
    Joke

Television?

What is this "television" you speak of? Your word is strange to me.

3. Timo

Over The Top - FTW

The truth is that "it just works" will win for the majority of the market.

<br>The fact that google will do it might mean that it will work. Most people will overlook the fact that they are helping you to see what you want, in exchange for one more sliver of your privacy.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wha ....

Advertising meets youtube meets TV ...

At the risk of overdramatizing my feelings.

I'd rather be dead.

5. Richard Lea

Makes Sense

Google signing up IPL

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like