back to article Premium line complaints drop by more than half

UK punters are more than twice as happy with premium-rate services than they were last year, according to the industry regulator PhonepayPlus. The figures come with the regulator's quarterly report for the last three months of 2009, showing a major improvement over the same period of 2008 (pdf). Back in 2008, complaints about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rpjs

Regulation working?

Or is that most people don't realise that "PhonePayplus" is actually the regulator to which they can complain and not some sort of advocacy group for the trade?

1. LinkOfHyrule

Wouldn't surprise me

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Not many folk probably knew about ICTIS (or whatever that heck it was called) and now that the've changed their name something that what frankly sounds fourty-years out of date (I mean payphones? Who remembers those? Garlic bread? Bukaroo?) I'm not surprised no one complains/bothers to get refunds.

Or maybe its just that most people who have bad (i.e. un-horny) service on a hand shandy line are too embarrassed to complain! I mean, have they ever had a complaint from someone saying the women on the naughty-housewives line were crap?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My thoughts exactly.

My first thought was just that. Nobody knows who "PhonePayPlus" are.

2. Lionel Baden

hell i used to work for jamster

And ive never even heard of them.

granted was a couple of years ago when they were spamming the adverts we just got lots of watchdog complaints

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Rasczak
      Boffin

Not banned, some regulation

According to http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/output/087-Number-Range.aspx 0871, 0872 and 0873 are now classed as premium rate so you can complain in the same way as for 09 numbers.

084 numbers don't seem to be covered.

0845 and 0870 are included in inclusive calls on BT landlines and some other providers.

4. Alan Denman

Mobile phone Regulation conspiracy

It is an establishment con

If you have no landline you might be paying 35p per minute for things like NHS direct (0845).

A money making racket putting valuable services out of reach of those who most need it!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Complaints happen..

Made a few myself to the various regulators - depending on which aspect of the operation was in breach of the various codes. Usually get a result.

There are even helpful websites out there that you can post news of the various scams to.

Sadly no one seems to be able/willing to bar the serial offenders from operating these lines which is what is really needed.

6. Andy Hards
    Thumb Down

@how about "customer service" 084/087 ripoffs?

Espescially the ones where they connect you and basically keep you on hold then after 15 mins cut you off and tell you to try again.

7. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Mathematically illiterate first paragraph

Phone users are not "twice as happy with premium-rate services than they were last year". I suspect that a majority then and now are not happy with premium-rate services at all, but are not using the services, so it doesn't become an issue. The regulator changing name - which I hadn't noticed myself, I would have been looking for the old one - also may have cut the rate of complaints. Maybe only half as many people are using premium services this year and the rate of dissatisfaction is unchanged.

1. Rasczak
      Headmaster

Name Change ?

The name change was over 2 years ago, October 2007, as mentioned in this very tome, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/19/icstis_rebrand_phonepayplus/ so that is unlikely to be attributable to any downturn in complaints from 2008 to 2009.

That said you are on to something with the semantics, not so much phone users are twice as happy, probably closer to half as unhappy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like