back to article Microsoft banner ads vanish from Facebook

Microsoft will no longer handle display ads on Facebook, as the companies rejiggered the advertising pact they announced in 2007 when Redmond stuffed $240m into the social-networking site. "We made the mutual decision that Facebook would take over responsibility for selling display advertisements on its own site," reads a blog …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Phillips
    Stop

Er...

"...help customers make faster, smarter decisions."

I highly doubt any ad pusher is concerned about *smarter* decisions.

2. DelM
    Linux

What ads?

There are ads on Facebook? I haven't seen them since the last big UI reorg...

... and maybe that's why FB does UI changes, just to try to catch AdBlock+. But not this time...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

What facebook?

This *thing* is actually used by people even in the tech community?

Go on, vote me down.

2. Eddy Ito

New UI today

Disabled account tomorrow. They seem to be pushing the games people play over things you might want to know. The latest UI shuffle dumps the option of having the things you are interested in, like the status of your friends, and forces "News Feeds" which are just ads for the facebook games people play. It's back to playing 'block this application' or working through the friends menu to find status updates. That or dump friendster 2.0 altogether.

1. Gulfie
        FAIL

And you expect charity?

Big sites cost big money to run. You can't really expect them not to re-stack the cards in their favour on a regular basis, when everybody gets to use the site for nothing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: What ads?

"I haven't seen them since the last big UI reorg..."

I haven't seen any ever, on any website, if you have then your browser is set up incorrectly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

blah blah blah

blah blah blah Firefox blah blah blah Adblock blah blah blah...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes,

you are a pompous twit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Facebook?

Isn't that the gentle art of 'stuffing a book into someone's face'?

Seriously, who in their right mind uses that steaming pile of cow dung of a web site?

Maybe if you are one of the millions who watches the Superbowl on US TV just for the adverts.

Even amongst my kids, Facebook is so'yesterday'. Bibo is a dinosaur. The cool kids are just twittering to each other. Just the sado's & billy no mates use it.

Paris, because she knows a lost cause when she sees it.

5. ChrisInBelgium
    Thumb Up

Indeed

Adblock Plus. Simply the best Add-on ever. Haven't seen any annoying ads ever since installing that one. It's like the karate Kid's wax-on, wax-off. Add-on, ad-off ;-)

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Ads on FailBook?

Naff rantings by half-witted eejits isn't enough?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Search

"But Microsoft will continue to provide search technology on Facebook ..."

So that is why I can't find anyone on Facebook!

8. Alastair 7

'Does anyone use Facebook', blah blah

I'm in the tech community and I use Facebook. Not so that I can play shitty games, or answer stupid quizzes about people, but because it's useful to communicate with friends, share photos, videos, links, etc. with them.

Go ahead, vote me down based on your arbitrary reasoning of what people should and shouldn't like.

1. Bilgepipe
      Thumb Up

Up Vote

At least you have a genuine use for it outside of pimping yourself and playing crap quizzes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

If you insist

bye bye.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Good To See.....

.....that some fellow Registerarians (do you guys have corkscrew hair?) also think FB is pants and don't use it.

Paris because you just know where this discussion is headed when words like 'pants' enter the conversation.

10. Rod MacLean
    WTF?

Part of that made no sense to me

"Our two companies will soon provide Facebook users with a more complete search experience by providing full access to great Bing features beyond a set of links, including richer answers combined with tools that help customers make faster, smarter decisions,"

What the f**k?

People only search for one thing on Facebook - friends of theirs.

In what way do they need something more than links to the profiles of any matches? What are the tools that will help them make "faster, smarter decisions"?

I mean, if someone is looking for Mary Telford (just a random name) then when they find a few matches, they'll open each one in a new tab and then go through the tabs, closing the ones that are not the person they're looking for.

What a MS going to do? Get it to probe your mind so that it can decide on your behalf?!?

1. justsaying

New MS search will add value

"I mean, if someone is looking for Mary Telford (just a random name) then when they find a few matches, they'll open each one in a new tab and then go through the tabs, closing the ones that are not the person they're looking for."

While typing in "Mary Telford" a little paper clip will pop up and say "I see you're searching for new victims to stalk. Have you tried groomingfornewbs.com?". In this way Microsoft make their pennies on the click and the user gets a better service. This is why MS are the world's largest tech corp. They give you what you want even if you don't want it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like