back to article Google behavioral ad targeter is a Smart Ass

Google is handling its interest-based advertising behavioral ad targeting from a custom-built ad server known internally as Smart Ass, or smart ad serving system. According to a former Google employee, the system was under development as far back as 2006, and a second person with knowledge of the server says it was deployed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Go

Google Knows More...

...about you than you do.

When you see head hunter ads, you know you are getting fired^K^K^K^K^Kdownsiz^K^K^K^Koptomized.

2. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Grenade

Fine Google

You have a server named "Smart Ass", I have a pit bull named "Minority Report".

Please deliver my mail.

3. Dale 3

Adblock

Does Smart Ass detect the use of Adblock and then not serve up any ads at all, since my behaviour is clearly that I am not interested in any of them?

4. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    FAIL

Handy

Search for enough pr0n and Google will conveniently advertise sources for you automatically. Thanks.

And that also reveals the fundamental problem of any "interest related" advertising; pages which may be visited, information which may be sought reflect just a subset of what an on-line user's interests are in the real world. That presumptions read into what on-line activity means are often false.

Of course advertisers may not care, arguing that an ad to someone who may be interested is better than advertising to someone who may not be, but the whole caboodle could come crashing down if targeting doesn't result in revenue.

I'm quite surprised that anyone even clicks on adverts anyway. There are some excellent adverts I've seen but few I can recall what they were advertising or brand. Perhaps I'm just immune to adverts ?

5. Hollerith 1

wayback machine

I do a lot of research on a wide range of new topics, and so what I searched for yesterday is pretty much not what I am searching for today. Ads served up for yesterday's search patterns are going to be cold porridge as far as I am concerned. I guess I am in a sub-set, and that everybody else always searches for the same things day in, day out...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Gosh!

Google works so hard and I don't even look at those ads!. Man, what a waste of brilliant intelligence, energy and technical resources.

7. Graham Marsden

"a browser plug-in that kept your opt-out"

Where can we get this...!

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Let me see

All ad* and double* are redirected to Local Host in my hosts file.

I wonder where Google's wonderful tracking service goes from there ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like