back to article Security firms plot revamp to minimise false alarms

Increased incidents of false positives have encouraged anti-virus firms to re-evaluate their signature update process. Last week, misfiring updates from Symantec falsely categorised Spotify and Adobe Flash as malicious in two separate incidents. The week before a ropey update from Kaspersky Lab falsely flogged Google AdWords …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pctechxp
    Grenade

KAV got something right for a change

Google Adwords IS malware and should be wiped from the face of the web.

You can't trust a company with the motto 'don't be evil' but in the same way you can't trust one with the motto 'think different'

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Fasle negatives

are what I worry about more.

However, I was inconvenienced - at work - when F-Secure decided that a file in an older edition of the AutoHotkey Windows macro script and automation tool was nasty, which as far as I know it isn't.

3. Graham Marsden

So why not just...

... have all the employees of your Anti-Virus company download the updates first? There should be sufficient computers of various configurations and installations amongst them to pick up most of the duff update problems.

And it would give your workers a much greater incentive to ensure that these sort of glitches don't happen in the first place!

This topic is closed for new posts.