back to article Avatar renders this earthly life meaningless

James Cameron's 3D sci-fi romp Avatar appears to have deeply affected some cinemagoers who've found that life on Earth doesn't measure up to the prospect of living on utopian world Pandora. CNN reports that net forums are awash with dark musings on the impossibility of visiting the virtual planet, with those most deeply …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Michaelvbboyle
    Coat

What the...?

Straight-jackets-R-us would have a field day with that lot. Send 'em in..

Problem solved.

Mines the coat, with a few extra straps for that secure, restrained feeling.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Trolled

They have trolls on Pandora don't they?

3. El Richard Thomas
    Thumb Up

Lucy in the sky with diamonds

"All of a sudden the world was as real as my own. At the end I stood up and started telling the people that they were the bad guys and were killing the Na’vi everyday with their western society."

I haven't had acid that good for a looooong time!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Lucy and such

I didn't plan to watch this film. But if it's THAT good and at a quite competitive price compared to good acid I'll think again. Will there be flash backs too? Judging from those comments probably yes!

2. Inachu
      FAIL

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

The symbolic political undertones of this movie and what we are doing in Afganistan is very similar. We would do anything even rape lil girl if the survival of USA was at stake.

4. Pete 43
    Grenade

Easy, buy the DVD

Then enter the dream world at any time (sad b'stards)

5. DZ-Jay

Re: Bootnote

Lester,

I think that last one in the Bootnotes was someone's attempt at irony. It's funny, really, how he managed to cramp all sad Slashdot geek stereotypes into one single comment: 35 years old living in parents' basement, taking sci-fi movies too seriously, playing WoW, having a "guild wife" (wtf?), talking about hitler, etc.

+1 Funny.

-dZ.

1. pedrodude
      WTF?

Gotta be...

... a wind-up. All of it really. There just can't be anyone THIS stupid. (Just gotta keep repeating that to myself!)

1. Bassey

Has to be

Reminds me of the reviews of the £600+ HDMI cable. Good stuff

6. seanj
    Go

Tips for avoiding the "Pandora blues"...

Get a fucking life, seems to be surprisingly missing from that list.

As for the bootnote - love it, hilarious stuff, piss-taking at it's finest. Probably better entertainment than seeing the film itself, so I hear...

1. FSS
      Thumb Down

Marketing

This is really only good marketing. Avatar was a success even before launch (no one knew the story then). I remember watching Bones on television before the movie launch and there was a scene were people are painted and dressed like the Navi in front of the movie theater (before the actual movie launch!). So they were saying that it was a cult BEFORE being launched!

This is only VERY VERY GOOD propaganda. It is, sadly, a syntom of the times and how society are really made of IDIOTS that can be so easily manipulated to think that an unreleased movie is already a cult.

In fact, the story is nothing new (exactly what Americans did to Indians on the West or Spanish did to Maias and Incas on Latin America), but just with the SCI FI background added (gentle & inteligent aliens, some beautiful alien women, a crappy and unfounded love story, the bad guy that turns unexplicably good, a bit of ecology).

Nothing really new or interesting.

It is a sign of the times how people can even believe that that are lots of desperate souls crippled by this wonderful story that wanted to die and appear on Pandora. It is scary the level of manipulation we had these days. And how people are eager to fall for that (perhaps because we were made believe that that is so little we can do to change the reality we live in...)

1. seanj
        WTF?

wtf?

What in the name of Satan's ringpiece are you talking about, and why in reply to my post, and more importantly - if it was you - why give my comment a negative rating?

I am well aware that the post quoted in Bootnotes was clearly a fake - it's what I was alluding to, rather clearly I thought, when I said "piss-taking at it's finest".

I have no idea what you're talking about, what it has to do with me, and frankly, I feel like I need to go home and wash the stink of your reply off my body with wire wool and bleach. Please kindly try to refrain from spouting shit anywhere near my posts in future, and I'll do you the same courtesy.

7. Stephen Hunt
    Troll

Trolling

I think a few Troll's may be inhabiting these Avatar forums (along with some PR guru's.)

8. Simon C

oh dear

looks like Darwin awards may have their yearly quota in a month or two.

I've yet to see Avatar and its nice to see that people are experiencing the film as I expect James Cameron (initials JC - coincedence?) hoped it would be.

But what keeps movies magic is that when the lights go up and the auditorium empties, you are back in real life.

I'm often morbidly amused by people and their death rantings.....I find it amusing that people's hold on reality is so stretched that these people are broken by a bloody movie.

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

I wouldn't bother

> I've yet to see Avatar

Every few years there's a film that comes along and resonates with the emotionally stunted and impressionable types. Whether it was Bambi, Watership Down, Harry Potter or whatever doesn't matter, there will always be a ready supply of children of all ages for whom a simple, sentimental and superficial story will turn into something greater.

So far as the effects go, I didn't see the 3D version, but they weren't amazingly better than what we're used to from Jurassic Park, or if you've watched _Sanctuary_ on the telly. Despite what all the studio/media hype says. Not better - just bloody everywhere and much more expensive.

Forget the hype, forget the effects, the story isn't much and has very little depth (and is one that's been presented many times before: mostly by Disney). By the time this hits the TV channels everyone will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

huh?

that film was a boring piece of crap. no real storyline and heaps of really cheap plot-devices. I've never seen anything just as kitchy as Pandora for quite some time. I think my eyes would likely hurt after some hours if i had to stay in that place for to long.

1. joe90
      Thumb Down

.. was it just me...

Was it just me who fell asleep during the film?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MST3K Mantra

Is just a show, you should relax now...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra

11. Studley
    Unhappy

I know how they feel

Ever since The Matrix, I've been ingesting red pills but I'm yet to wake up from this hellish dream-world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Yeah but...

... i bet you've had some fantastic nights! ;)

Hmmm I feel the need to make a trip to Amsterdam...

12. Tim Hall
    Paris Hilton

God help us when the WoW movie comes out...

If Avatar freaked these people out, what is going to happen when the World of Warcraft movie comes out? There are millions of WoW junkies who live in WoW already. If they see something even half the standard of Avatar they will probably be so depressed with they "real lives" that they will top themselves.

It's the new natural selection!

1. Mike Hanna

Stunning idea!

Perhaps we should take all the warnings off sharp / poisonous / bottomless pit things too.

2. Glyn 2
      WTF?

what

I thought avatar *was* the WoW game, it looked like it from the trailers

Apart from looking like all too heartsy carp!

3. Scott 71

@Tim Hall

The World of Warcraft makes planet Earth look like a paradise. Azeroth is a craptactular cesspit of overpopulated, diseased wildlife in various stages of perpetual killing rages, blighted countryside, dozens of factions of species with higher cognitive functions that want to kill everyone and everything else and rule the world, and thousands of mercenaries who roam the countryside, killing each other and everything they happen across in hopes of obtaining a little coin, trinkets, or shiny new armor that will make them even better at killing everything.

Nobody in their right mind would want to live there.

1. lglethal Silver badge
        Joke

@ Scott71

You obviously dont know any WoW addicts...

Oh wait you said people in their right mind - yep your correct...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

buddy went to see it, his comments weer along the lines of "highlights - collecting left over candy"

14. Scottvet

Want to be a Na'vi?

Just hold your breath for a minute or so, your face will turn blue so you will be part way there at least !!! LOL

Scott

15. Martin 19
    FAIL

Good riddance

To all the naive morons who feel that way about Avatar: Kill yourselves now. It'd be wonderful for the rest of us for you to stop trying to impose your fantasies on everybody else, and I'm sure that the loss of you would be good for the 'carbon footprint' or somesuch.

Go on, do it.

16. I Am Fledge
    Stop

Or....

"The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth"

Wasn't most of the movie filmed in New Zealand?

1. David Given
      FAIL

Re Neq Zealand

After LoTR came out, I read one rant by someone who kept complaining about the 'obviously fake CGI mountains composited into the backgrounds of every scene'.

Sigh.

17. Owen Parry 1
    FAIL

Strong Feelings

...for a remake of Disney's Pocahontas.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Awww

I wuz gonna say that!

18. JeffShortland
    FAIL

Well, at least it's not Twilight.

I really used to bother me that people got that wrapped up in an obviously superficial film, aimed to simply punt CGI and tape it to a mildly engaging story. but hey, its the ADHD generation, and whatever keeps them going for more than 30 seconds at a time has it's merits.

Honestly though, Every year there is a film that makes us look completely stupid as a society. when it wasn't potter, it was star wars, when it wasn't star wars, it was narnia, when it wasn't narnia, it was twilight, and now its avatar. It'll be something else in a few months ( like WoW.. which at least will be easily ruined by Ewe Bole).

Avatar = Ferngully + CGI + blue tits

/coments.

19. Gianni Straniero

Cheap therapy

Once the daily trips to the IMAX start getting prohibitively expensive, they can just grab an old VHS of Pocahontas and watch that with some blue-tinted specs:

http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/

20. I Am Fledge

Ok..

Ok I take that back... there was no 'filming' in New Zealand... but a lot of the CGI was done there...

I'd still disagree that theres "NOTHING on earth like Pandora" (sticking to the New Zealand point):

http://www.rhinocarhire.com/images/CountryImages/400x500/New-Zealand-Mountains.jpg

http://www.truenz.co.nz/walking/images/WhirinakiRainforestGuidedWalks2.jpg

http://www.touristmaker.com/images/new-zealand/new-zealand-forest.jpg

Maybe these loons should try living in the trees there...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

That's nice and all...

But does it glow? Do you have sentient trees? How about horses that plug into your head?

21. JetSetJim
    FAIL

Is it me?

Or was some wag on FailBlog spot on?

http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/

22. nichomach

@Tim Hall

Were you suggesting that this was a problem...?

23. Tom 15
    FAIL

Meh

I felt quite suicidal myself after Avatar, mainly because it was distinctly average. Even the 3D, which everyone goes on and on about was much better in Up a few months before.

24. Mike Kamermans
    WTF?

How long will this article-style trend last?

Just curious, how much longer will we be saying articles of the kind "funky title! A said ..., B said ..., over on forum X, C said ..., the end, we didn't bother embedding this information in a proper article because just quoting seventeen different other websites consitutes a post, right?"

It's not like we didn't know how to write articles with what people said they'd do, or without quoting, in the past...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear me, how sad, never mind....

Seems to me the people concerned were deeply inadequate long before they entered the cinema...

26. andy gibson
    Happy

"I'd do anything to be in Pandora"

Speaking as someone who avidly watched ITV's "Secret Diary of Adrian Mole" in the 80's, I used to think that a lot too.

1. Sir Smokesalot
      Thumb Up

@Andy Gibson

LOL - Brought memories flooding back there.

2. Ceiling Cat

@Andy

Wow. Nice reference.

I wish they'd showes that here in canada. Never did see anything past the first few episodes.

27. Victor 2
    Troll

trolling

they see me trolling, they hatin'...

1. NB
      Happy

trolling

rickrolling, trying to catch me typin' dirty...

28. Matthew Barker
    WTF?

Sounds like...

we need to have mandatory community service for everyone after high school so they can build roads, parks, spend time outside and see that they can act rather than be the pathetic passive gits they've made themselves into.

Sounds like it's time for a new 12-step group for the internet-affected.

29. Binky

CNN the trusted new source

Turns out CNN kinda exaggerated a bit - http://www.jgc.org/blog/2010/01/cnncom-jumps-shark-by-writing-story.html

30. Daniel Wilkie
    Grenade

Well

I still think the best way to sum up that film was Fern Gully crossed with Dances with Wolves.

Take that as you will

No I did not like it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or

Dances with Smurfs

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.