back to article Feds investigate theft of $3m from NY school

The FBI and New York state police are investigating the online theft of more than $3m from a small school district in the western part of the state. All but $497,200 was eventually recovered after an employee at Norwich, New York-based NBT Bank alerted officials at Duanesburg Central School District to the unusually large …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lglethal Silver badge
    Joke

Let me be the first to say...

Wont someone please think of the children! =P

2. Llanfair

Problem with online banks

Many of them will only work with Internet Explorer. That means the only way you can use them is with a Windows PC. I personally think there should be something like a driving license for computer users where they show they know all about computer security and are willing to keep things up to date and run virus scans. Otherwise they need to disable monetary transactions via online banking.

3. Edwin

Windows?

I think recommending against windows for online banking goes a little far.

Two-factor authentication should be mandatory for online banking, a practice I believe US banks still don't all follow.

Granted, this leaves the door open for man-in-the-middle attacks, but I suspect these are much, much harder to perpetrate.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

shouldn't the banks pay back the money stolen

if it was in the banks care when it was stolen, then the bank should suffer the loss and not the small business's, schools, etc. i mean whats the point of using a bank then?? cash would be safer.

5. Carter Cole
    FAIL

it was a phish email...

they got an email from a rich foreign investor who wanted to give some funds to the kids but needed the collateral to make the transfer

This topic is closed for new posts.