back to article DDoS attack scrooges Amazon and others

Service to Amazon, Wal-Mart and several other shopping sites was briefly blocked on Wednesday evening when their DNS provider was hit by a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack. Neustar, which provides DNS services to high profile website addresses under the UltraDNS brand, said the flood of malicious traffic, just two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Ho Ho Ho

I 'twas laughing all the way through the article.

That was their fault that they didn't shop earlier.

2. Steve Foster
    FAIL

Huh?

The inability to reach the authoritative DNS servers for domain X is not the same thing as "domain X is down". I'm sure Amazon's servers were all fine, and working normally.

And for a large site like Amazon, surely their key DNS records would be sitting in cache on many ISPs DNS servers - or do UltraDNS deliberately set ridiculously low TTLs?

1. JRallo
      Alert

Yes, it seems their TTL is very low...

60secs by my digs...

3. Renato
    Coat

Cloud

And that's why you shouldn't rely on 3rd parties for sensitive things: a DDoS on a Amazon's 3rd party (4th party?) resulted on Amazon's cloud being inaccessible for {some|many} users.

Coat: first the clouds come, then they rain.

4. Eddie Johnson
    Badgers

@Steve Foster

"And for a large site like Amazon, surely their key DNS records would be sitting in cache on many ISPs DNS servers - or do UltraDNS deliberately set ridiculously low TTLs?"

Everyone does thanks to this wonderful "dynamic web" being rammed down our throats. Every site I check on is hopping all over the damn internet every 5 minutes - and I don't mean just moving around within a /16 or /24 block . Anyone related to Akamai is the worst. This is the biggest nightmare with Windows update, MS uses a dozen different domains that never stay in the same place for writing decent firewall and proxy rules.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like