back to article Google accused of scrubbing bloody Berlusconi pics

Move over, Facebook. Now Google is caught in the middle of Italy's epic row over Sunday's violent assault on Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Bloggers, netizens, and at least one news organization are claiming that the web giant has removed images of a bloodied Berlusconi from the Italian incarnation of Google Image search. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Conspiracy or cover-up ?

The same thing happened when Lynndie England came to public attention over the Abu Ghraib torture scandal. Specific search on Lynndie England or Abu Ghraib turned up absolutely zilch, though it is reported such searches had worked previously, and seems unlikely Google Images would not have indexed Abu Ghraib at all before then.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is this a surprise?

Did you honestly think that they only do it in China?

That was why some of us made such a fuss when they started in China. Of course, most people scoffed in derision and disbelief.

Some people are altogether too trusting.

3. Richard 102

Living dangersously, Johnny

Maroni was quoted as saying "That bastage is a farging ice hole!"

4. Neoc

None at all...

"Berlusconi was hospitalised after a man with a history of psychological problems hit him in the face with a statuette of the Milan cathedral"

Which is slightly better than Colonel Mustard with the Candlestick in the Conservatory.

5. ratfox

Who knows?

Those who complain might have found the pictures on Google news before, where they are very easy indeed to find...

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Big Brother

The Truth, the Whole Truth and Everything in the Truth.

""Berlusconi was hospitalised after a man with a history of psychological problems hit him in the face with a statuette of the Milan cathedral"

Which is slightly better than Colonel Mustard with the Candlestick in the Conservatory." .... Neoc Posted Thursday 17th December 2009 00:03 GMT

I must admit that I did have a titter at that offering from Neoc. :-) And was wondering whether the exact truth would be further served with a report saying ..."Berlusconi, a man with a history of psychological problems, was hospitalised after a statuette of the Milan cathedral hit him in the face."

7. ShaggyDoggy

Yes

When they blocked in China

I remained silent; I was not Chinese.

When they blocked in Italy

I remained silent; I was not Italian.

1. Cameron Colley

Next up: Australia.

Then the UK.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just use Bing

its there even if its harderto find.

9. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Why is Google Image Search behind the times?

If Google is still pretending to be a search engine, rather than an aggregator used by the "SEO" industry to pump their sewage/wares, then it seems perfectly reasonably to me that an image might have to be around for a while before it had established itself as "relevant" to a particular query.

Perhaps the question we should be asking is why are the other search engines lamely equating "new" with "what you wanted".

But in fact I'm not asking either question, because this is just one data point and I'd rather base my criticisms of search engines on a little more than that.

10. Il Midga di Macaroni
    Paris Hilton

Why shoot the messenger?

Would you blame a newsagent for selling a newspaper that runs an anti-government story? It's a classic case of DUH, do we understand these newfangled computer thingies people?

Also, what gives a prime minister the right to try to remove his own photos from the net? There might be photos out there of me that I don't want a million people to see, can I take Google to court about them?

Paris because she's smarter than this lot.

11. teddy
    Thumb Up

Google did remove the images

The day before yesterday that images WERE there, i've seen them with my eyes.

Alas, I didn't take any screenshot, but a lot of people can testify the same, check on

http://www.alla-fonte.it/

http://www.sconfini.eu/

if you can read italian

12. Jay Castle
    Joke

Glorious!

"On Sunday, Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was hospitalized after a man with a history of psychological problems hit him in the face with a statuette of the Milan cathedral."

I just cannot get the grin off my face every time I read that! The fact that it was a statuette of the Milan cathedral makes him sounds crazy, but I think he just has a fine appreciation of comedy.

Choice of missile = inSPIREd......oh, I made a funny!

13. Mark Flingstone
    WTF?

Photos are still there, pals...

Really?

http://images.google.de/images?q=berlusconi+photos+cathedral&gbv=1&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=li

2nd picture top left

Check your settings for explicit content...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like