back to article Toshiba launches first domestic fuel-cell charger

Toshiba has launched its first direct methanol fuel-cell (DMFC) product: Dynario, an external power source for “mobile digital consumer products”. Toshiba_Dynario_001 Toshiba's Dynario makes power from highly-concentrated methanol Once filled with an injection of methanol solution, Dynario is able to generate electricity …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom_

Baffled

Why would I want this?

2. Tim 30
    Grenade

Shame you can't transport it

Yes Mr Security Guard@Airport, please will you let me on with my bottle of highly charged methanol so I can recharge my mp3 player mod flight?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Important question

So when my phone/device isn't attached, does it still generate electricity or is there some sort of "off" switch for the chemical process? Or does the device require a "load" (in the electronic sense) in order to activate?

I guess I'm not totally sure how fuel cells work exactly (other than something to do with Hydrogen atoms passing through a membrane and magic).

4. JasonW
    Boffin

Concentrated Methanol?

Seems the standard industrial grade is 99.95% pure methanol (25 litres for under £20 *retail* since you ask) - how much more concentrated is this Toshiba stuff?

5. mmiied
    Stop

plane

I dought they will let you fly with that

6. 4HiMarks

compatible fuels

So will it run on other fuels? Ethanol, say or isopropyl alcohol? What about gasoline (petrol)? How much are they charging for the refills?

7. SmallYellowFuzzyDuck, how pweety!
    Pint

Methanol!

I will drink to that!

8. James 5
    Flame

Highly concentrated methanol....

... I can just see people trying to get that past the staff at their local chemists !

I guess it'd be pretty flammable as well. Perhaps not wise to leave too close to your hot battery laptop !

9. Alan Esworthy
    Pint

expensive

Expensive but intriguing, and promising as a first-generation consumer product. I won't consider buying anything like this, though, until I can use 40% ethanol as fuel.

Maybe with a slice of lime.

10. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Is that 7ml to recharge a phone or 25ml?

If the latter, two spare batteries would be much cheaper. When was the last time you had no access to the mains for two weeks, but still had a signal on your phone?

Fuel cells were proposed as a way to power laptops. (Laptops were the precursor to notebooks and could be used on your lap without overheating.) Methanol boils of 65⁰ and has a flash point of 79⁰C. Fuel cells for notebooks could be spectacular.

11. pjnola

This is great!

Now I can remove all of those stupid electrical outlets in my house!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No thanks...

I've always believed fuel cells have a domestic future. But this isn't it. Bottles of methanol, injected into a $200+ unit? Over the cost and life of the unit, this has to be the most expensive way of recharging a cellphone ever invented!! And including its manufacture, disposal and refuelling, probably on a par environmentally with an open coal fire.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

well thats good for the environment...

...until you think - hang on you've got to keep buying plastic refill bottle and someones got to generate the methanol from something.

Whats wrong with dynamo (wind-up) charger if you really are that far from a plug socket? Seriously, am I missing something here?

14. ian 22
    Coat

Time to clean out the old cupboard

Could I charge my laptop with this 50-year old Scotch I don't know what to do with?

Mine's the one with the bottle of Auld Rotgut in the pocket...

15. h 6
    Thumb Up

The point

I think the point of this device is to charge your mobe (old word I like) without an outlet, say hiking in the mountains for several days.

16. 100113.1537
    Thumb Up

Methanol - liquid fuel of the future?

Although some of these comments are funny, I think methanol to power fuel cells has a future. Methanol is flammable and difficult to get onto a plane (although 50ml would fit into the little plastic bags and not be checked), but it isn't explosive per se (same as petrol) and used in a fuel cell has a good energy to weight ratio.

In answer to the comments above, it isn't a chemical reaction and so it doesn't 'carry-on' when not plugged in to anything and you can't substitute ethanol (which has much better uses anyway - hic). A few companies have trialled fuel cells for laptops and if you replace the battery with them, they run quite cool (no explosion issues). Used as suggested above, they don't get close to the (hot) batteries so the safety thing isn't too bad.

Right now, this is a gimmick with the only real application lightweight generation of low currents when separated from main electricity (the US Army is interested to replace batteries in field kit). On a larger scale, it beats the home Hydrogen generators that Honda are selling with their fuel cell cars. In addition Hydrogen is much more dangerous and heavier to transport.

The big question is the grade of methanol - someone pointed out how cheap the standard grade is to buy and if you can use that then we are not too far (just one order of magnitued) from a viable option. I thought the actual fuel cell used quite a dilute solution to generate Hydrogen for the actual reaction so perhaps the grade is only important from the point of view of reducing weight.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

RE:.Concentrated Methanol?

No bet you have to use the toshiba stuff, it will have additives to improve the life of your expensive bit of kit (like shell fuel!)

OR it could just be regular Methanol in an expensive bottle - Nah could be

18. Pete 43
    Pint

Does that mean...

The hacks at El Reg will be able to charge their mobiles by opening a vein?

19. Alex 0.1
    Thumb Down

Any real purpose?

>>Toshiba claimed this enables Dynario to generate enough power to charge two mobile phones.

At 150x21x74mm, this thing is about 20 times the volume of a BL-5C (generic Nokia battery used across a fair portion of their phones) and at £191 is almost 50 times the price (£4 for a genuine nokia battery from a lot of outlets), AND needs the bulk + cost of fuel on top of it.

So, i'm kind of curious as to what the benefit of this product is if it's being marketed as an emergency phone charger. Instead of having this product you could simply carry 20 backup batteries for 20 "recharges" instead of 2, and save £110 in the process!

Guess it's okay if you have some form of crippled device that doesn't include a user-swappable battery (now where would we find one of those?), but hell, there're plenty of battery-based emergency phone chargers with charging adaptors for all major phones, that achieve far better energy density than this and cost far far less.

The future of fuel cells? Great! Right now? Hard to see why this thing ever made it past a concept model.

20. miknik
    Thumb Up

You have to laugh...

at everyone moaning about this. Bet they would be the sort of people who berated the TV when it first came out for being bulky and only in black and white.

21. Simon B
    FAIL

£200 for a battery charger?

£200 for a battery charger? no thanks.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@miknik - You Have to Laugh...

Mate - even as a tech-mad young lad - I DID berate the TV when it first came out as a 12" 405-line B&W single channel £100 (1000s in today's money) eyesore! I let the tech-mad nerds queue for them, and didn't buy one for 2 decades until I had multi-channels and affordable prices. I still don't have HD flat-screen, and won't be buying until I see something on those screens worth watching. 'Concept models' belong in labs, not our homes.

To be fair, it's probably earlier buyers who establish markets, eventually bring down prices. In which case, please be my guest...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

So what are the chances of scaling this up so we can run a car off similar fuel cells?

I mean it wouldn't take too much to change the infrastructure from petrol to methanol, would it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like