back to article 'Ring-wing' robo-sub smart swarm lands £6m oil deal

An upstart startup founded by BAE Systems engineers, let go following a corporate reorganisation, says that it has won a large oil-industry deal for its underwater ring-wing robot swarm technology. GO Science, in its own words, was formed in 2002 by engineers who "left BAE Systems at Filton with many years of successful …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heh

They should take it to the yanks they'll go for any crazy idea on the off chance it'll work, no point wasting your time with the MoD.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Jawohl Herr Ka-Leun

kept on reading "right-wing sub".

Mine's the black leather 1940s cut one with the epaulettes, thank you. Auf wiedersehen .

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Sod the size of the car!

That's one heck of a pond he's got in his back garden......

4. D@v3
    Grenade

i wonder

if this could eventually develop into something like this...

http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/RA2:Sea_Wing

5. Columbus
    Welcome

Hulahoops

I for one welcome our autonomous tasty potato based snack overlords

*can't work out why they don't go soggy in the water though*, Think I will have little lie down

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Ring wings finally actually used

Since first investigate IIR by NACA (no that's not a mis spelling of NASA) in the 1950s.

7. James Pickett

Splash

"under-liquid"

What liquids are they planning to operate in, other than water? Is one of these things going to appear in my tea..?

8. Bug
    Boffin

But ours can swim in molten NaK alloy!

James Pickett:

Possibly they are thinking of space exploration, on one of the Jovian or Saturnian moons that appears to have an ocean. If you spend zillions of dollars getting the thing there, 33% more mission endurance after it arrives is well worth it.

Or, they could be thinking of the robots that inspect the interior of pipelines. (Much cheaper if you don't have to empty the pipe first.)

But most likely, it is just typical engineer / scientist thoroughness: in their models, the liquid is just a set of density and viscosity parameters, and the model can optimise the design for any such set of parameters. It doesn't interest them that most parameter sets represent liquids of no practical importance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like