back to article Feds force Googlebooks privacy promise

Under pressure from the US Federal Trade Commission, Google has released a privacy policy specifically for Google Book Search, that digital library service poised on the brink of monopoly. Late Thursday afternoon, after an earlier conversion with the Mountain View web giant, the FTC posted an open letter urging Google to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Daniel 1

This is the problem

Many objectors think Google wants to own the books. They don't they'll give the entire repository away for free, if the can (simply because it's the best way they'll have of making sure no one else can own the books).

No. The scary bit, is that they want own the FACT that you're interested in the book. That's what Google takes ownership of: your browsing habits. They give you more to browse, they record what you browse. =The record of what you browse is more salable to them than the actual things you browse are. Why sell someone's body, when you can have their soul?

2. Thomas 18
    Happy

I'm happy....

as long as they have a download all button, I need to punish my ISP for throttling me at weekends anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like