back to article Loch Ness Monster surfaces on Google Earth

Scotland's Loch Ness is doubtless braced for a stampede of Nessie-spotters after a reader of UK tabloid The Sun provided Google Earth evidence of the existence of the Scottish lake's elusive leviathan: Loch Ness showing possible Nessie sighting A closer look (.kmz here) reveals the astounding truth: A close-up of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Its a boat...

Or a giant squid.

But cleary - its a boat with either 2 or 3 props on the back just starting up and causing a wake.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

*Sigh* its a boat.

Unless nessie is powered by outbaord motor. At planing speed hence the set back bow wave.

3. Martin Lyne

Clearly

Clearly a squared off back and a wake. Who's first reaction is "monster" then "maybe it's a boat on this famous tourist attraction". Sigh.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its a bloody boat

Sorry thats a boat....

The limbs just look like the wake coming off the back of it....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

Cthulhu fhtagn!

Nessie? No way. It's the Great Cthulhu!

I, for one, welcome our new Old One overlord (who in fact, always was).

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fail

Obviously just a RIB with a wake behind it???

7. Michael Smith
    Black Helicopters

Looks more like a squid to me

Maybe we have been wrong about the monster all along?

8. PJ H
    FAIL

Sun readers...

"Eagle-eyed security guard Jason Cooke, 25, from Nottingham, enthused [in The Sun]: "I couldn't believe it. It's just like the descriptions of Nessie.""

Idiot.

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

ne fule kno...

clearly this is nessie, you can tell by the pixels.

or a boat.

PS. Let me be the first to welcome our wake making overlords.

10. SteveK

Here be titles

"It's just like the descriptions of Nessie"

Really? I always understood Nessie to be .. well, more sea-monster-like, and less boat-shaped.

Steve.

11. lansalot

errrr

Sorry, local hotel-owners. I call boat/wake on that one...

Actually, it's a bit late in the season to be Nessie-spotting anyway. You really need to get these done around March/April time, so as to hook the summer traffic. Poor show, hotel owners !

12. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

No it bloody isn't

>"It's just like the descriptions of Nessie."

NO IT BLOODY ISN'T you completely blind hysterical deslusional sod, since when the fuck was Nessie supposed to look like a giant squid? Cretin.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

looks like a boat to me..

pirates!!!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

eagle eyed?

My first thought was "Oh look, a boat."

Paris, 'cause even she knows what a boat looks like.

15. Hollerith 1

It's obvious...

...that it's a giant virus. Look at the flagella whipping the water. Clearly a giant invasion of something or other from outer space, swimming straight for the great hubs of our current civilisation, e.g. Inverness.

I for one, etc.

16. BenN
    Black Helicopters

And on Google Maps...

For thos without Google Earth installed...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=loch+ness,+scotland&sll=57.214761,-4.570479&sspn=0.002208,0.004801&ie=UTF8&cd=1&rq=1&ev=zo&radius=0.09&ll=57.214369,-4.570436&spn=0.002208,0.004801&t=h&z=18

17. Tim Bergel
    FAIL

What?

> "I couldn't believe it. It's just like the descriptions of Nessie."

No it isn't. If anything that looks like some sort of squid, whereas all the descriptions of Nessie talk of an animal with tail, (usually) four legs with flukes and a head on a long neck - no head & neck in that pic.

Anyway it looks just like a boat & wake to me...

18. Dave 64 Silver badge
    Coat

bullseye

In the words of the great Jim Bowen: "It's a speedboat"

19. Josco
    FAIL

It's a boat, any one can see that!

It's also a quiet Friday.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

All hail the miracle of Google Earth

First it detects an invasion of giant insects, then it solves the mystery of UFOs, then it finds Atlantis, and now the Loch Ness Monster, all without stopping the steady stream of giant, rude graffiti. Is there nothing Google Earth can't do on a slow news day?

21. Rob
    WTF?

Confusing

I can see how it would be confused with Nessie if you've never seen a boat before.

22. RichardB

maybe a boat - but

... what about the long object up and to the right of the arrow tail?

23. Graham Bartlett
    Linux

Eh?

"Just like the reports?" Last I heard, Nessie was supposed to be a plesiosaur kind of thing. That looks like a giant albino squid. Of course, a giant albino squid could well live in Loch Ness - there's no less evidence for that than there is for the plesiosaur, after all.

(And that's not a penguin, it's a plesiosaur with a grin.)

24. James Farrell
    Welcome

That's not Nessie

Its the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If...

If we ended the lives of all the bellend Sun readers like Jason Cooke, 25, from Nottingham and dumped the bodies in Loch Ness, would the floating corpses spell out "STUPID" when viewed from the air?

Enquiring minds demand answers.

26. The First Dave
    Boffin

Idiots

I checked Nessie's shared calendar, and it stated that she was visiting Norway that week, so she wasn't even in the loch when that photo was taken. (You do know that it is connected to both the Irish and North Seas?)

27. m_fkill
    FAIL

Isn't that a boat?

Nessie is a bit to the left

28. Rod MacLean
    FAIL

El Reg has goofed here

The thing with the arrow pointing at it is a BOAT.

The supposed image of Nessie is to the left and slightly up and looks like two large wakes which are not caused by anything visible in the image.

You've cocked up and so now I'm cancelling my subscription!

Nessie was actually spotted for real last week at a BBQ. Elvis was singing as Michael Jackson and Lord Lucan took rides around the garden on her back...

29. Raspy32

Haha....

Even worse that the guard...."Researcher Adrian Shine, of the Loch Ness Project, told the paper: "This is really intriguing. It needs further study.""

Err.....save your time and money mate....it's a boat.

30. Peter Ford

Not Nessie, but much scarier!

Looks more like a squid than a plesiosaur: every time I saw Nessie she was a dark colour that wouldn't show up on a Google Earth photo very well.

'Course, it could be a rare albino Nessie...

Or worse (looking squid-like) ... no that's too horrible to contemplate...

Really, it just looks like a pale-coloured motor boat with a couple of waves of breaking wash trailing behind it.

31. Dave 64 Silver badge
    Coat

bullseye

In the words of the great Jim Bowen: "It's a speedboat"

32. ilikejam

Boat

Boat.

I've said 'boat' in my head too many times and now the word's lost its meaning.

Boat. Boat. Boat? Boat. Booooooooat. Boaaaat. Boat. Nope. Nothing.

I want to go home.

33. DaveEdi
    Happy

Lock Ness Easter Bunny

There is no monster. It's a bunny wabbit.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/R0IUGnQhT9cp0bxWeD6RHQ?feat=directlink

34. Andy Livingstone

I'd rather believe

in the existence of Nessie and flying saucers than in the existence of one iota of common sense in the whole of Whitehall.

After all, Nessie is seen more often.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

oh noes! monsters!

check out the Thames,and other popular bodies of water there are some really big "monsters" in there, they must be attracted by all the humans.

36. The elephant in the room
    Paris Hilton

Bat-eyed more like

With observation skills like that I bet when this security guard isnt misinterpreting aerial photos he spends his time harrassing "terrorist" photographers while right in front of his nose men wearing black & white stripey tops & eye masks load whatever he's supposed to be guarding into bags labelled "swag".

Paris, because she can tell the the difference between a monster tentacle and a boatload of seamen.

37. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Welcome...?

I, for one, (don't) welcome our brain-dead, blind, tabloid-thumbing, retarded security guards who can't tell a shitty little boat from a (supposedly) bloody great big aquatic dinosaur. After all, why would a boat be out on a loch....? Twat.

I really hope, for the sake of humanity, that this man hasn't yet had the opportunity to procreate, nor will he ever. Why is the world so full of total morons!?

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Nessie

That's not Nessie, that's The Spaghetti Monster. This is Nessie: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=57.378094~-4.343183&style=a&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

39. alan 39
    Thumb Up

Damn right its a boat

But you guys all missed the fact that nessie was driving (piloting) it :)

Alan

40. dervheid
    Stop

IT'S

A

BOAT

FFS!

Someone should've gone to Specsavers!

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could it be...

A giant mutant sperm, perhaps?

42. Graham Marsden
    Coat

The Flying Spaghetti Monster...?

... shurely that's its cousin, the Swimming Spaghetti Monster!

43. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

You guys are all wrong

Its white--its in the water--IT MUST BE MOBY DICK!!! That crafty whale is clearly taking a shortcut between the Irish and North Seas by going through the Loch. The fact that he made it into Britain undetected would be in keeping with the usual level of professional competence I keep hearing attributed to Her Majesty's immigration officials.

You can mail me the requisite $20 Spanish gold piece to me care of Ishmael, Spouter's Inn, Nantucket Massachusetts, United States of America.

Mines the oilskin jacket draped over the casket-shaped lifebuoy

44. Steve Brooks

Bing (Crosby) maps FAIL!

"This is Nessie: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=57.378094~-4.343183&style=a&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1"

Ok so just for the heck of it I checked it out, Bing Maps, hah. I think its called Bing maps because the (low resolution) maps were relevant when Bing Crosby was a big star, now they just show old roads that either no longer exist or have been replaced by 6 lane highways, so its hardly going to be a useful tool to spot anything that happened in, say, the last 30 years!

45. David Walker

Clearly a sperm

Anonymous coward is correct - it is clearly a giant sperm - although sadly extra flagella are a sure sign of genetic defects. Makes me wonder what the Scots are up to in the lake. Had the same problem with a hot tub in a condo I used to live in - always closed off when the sperm count got too high....

46. Mark Wills
    WTF?

Progress

Clearly Nessie has moved into the 20th (or 21st) century and embraced fossil fuel powered combustion engine based outboard motors. Smart.

The fact that the bloke is a total dick is obvious. The fact that the SUN published it, tells you all you need to know, about it, and its readership.

So, beloved El Reg, why did you go with it? Honestly, can't we just ignore these idiots, maybe they'll go away?

47. Alex 3
    Flame

FOOLS!

Der.....

It is clearly the monster - whoever says it is a boat is talking out of their ass. Everybody KNOWS the monster is REAL, boats are NOT REAL.

Those pointing out is a boat really need to get their eyes examined....

48. Max_Normal

But we are surrounded by REAL monsters. You only have to look.

Those Reg readers interested in cryptozoology might also be interested in two nests of mighty silver birds that were recently discovered by a Scotsman visiting the south of England, one near Gatwick in Sussex, the other near Heathrow.

49. Witty username
    Black Helicopters

Its a weather balloon

You saw nothing. go back to sleep.

This topic is closed for new posts.