back to article 'Norfolk Broads Idiot' nailed on YouTube

The powers that be are poised to deliver a financial keelhauling to the 'Norfolk Broads Idiot' who appeared on YouTube apparently attempting to secure a Darwin Award: The video was captured on 23 June near Oulton Broad, Suffolk, the Telegraph reports. The Broads Authority was suitably unimpressed with the escapade, with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Col 4

Spot the idiot;

"Norfolk Broad Idiot"

"near Suffolk".

2. Greg J Preece

Auto cutoff not working?

Last I checked, you couldn't keep the throttle on a small outboard running without your hand being present. Automatic cutoff or a sping-loaded throttle. Could just be the type of outboards I use.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Where's the British spirit gone?

In the good old days that dipshit would have been clubbed to death with an ore while still in the water.

4. John Colman
    Dead Vulture

Lucky guy!

He is extremely lucky he wasn't killed. With the speed that the boat was running, the prop would have literally shredded him...

5. John Macintyre

fines

and an extra £1000 for being a complete twat? They need to introduce that, they might just get it approved.....

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pink shirt!

Prolly from Essex.

7. kissingthecarpet
    Pirate

My venture scout unit

was blacklisted by Hoseasons for sinking another boat the year before I joined - the crew of the other boat, a family, were having breakfast as the huge lump of metal on the front of the very large & heavy narrowboat smashed into the side of their boat. Apparently, the look on their faces through the window as they realised they were sinking was well worth it, heh heh - I wish I'd been there

8. Paul Naylor
    FAIL

What a cock

'Nuff said

9. Diccon
    WTF?

Why

was he swimming towards the boat once he was in the water?!! To call him a fuckwit would be generous.

10. dunncha
    Happy

Never mind the Fines

Just give him his Darwin medal and let the eejit get on with it.

I won't be too long before he gets his full status

11. Mike Smith
    Dead Vulture

Can I be the first to suggest

Normal For Norfolk?

Gravestone, because he came very very near to needing one.

12. Tom yng Nghymru

FFS

As an RYA powerboat instructor it always amazes me that you don't need any form of training or assessment to take a boat out in this country.

13. IT_Frogman

Unsurprising

I was on holiday on the Broads a couple of weeks ago. Especially up near Horning and Wroxham there seemed to be a massive population of day rental boats driven by pissed up lads who had the boats running at full tilt all the time. The broads authority patrols seemed fairly powerless to do anything. We were moored at Wroxham broad one afternoon and the patrol boat had to warn endless people about speeding.

Although just as bad were the £250k gin palaces that come in through the sea locks in Yarmouth and Lowestoft and think 5 or 6mph is for wimps.

Had one come past me like he was on fire - the ocean going gin palaces are 800bhp twin engined jobbies that'll do 20-30knots easily

All the rental boats are limited to about 10mph, but none of them have a speedo, so if you're doing 1900 revs with the tide you can be doing 8mph, but maybe only 4mph if you're going against the tide. I took a little GPS with me to check my speed as they radar check you everywhere!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

He's obviously not from Norfolk

He'd have been easily able to swim away from the boat with the advanced finger/toe webbing and extra finger combo that natives of that region are born with.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Badgers

Release the 4chan /b/tards

Anonymous is legion

16. Adrian Jooste
    FAIL

Damn shame...

This country is turning into a smaller version of america with just as many idiots. I reckon we're fast approaching 45/55 plonker/gent ratio per square mile on average. Just wait until the generation brought up by their 16 year old parents start going on summer holidays...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

darwin award

His ability to reproduce could well have been one of the first things to get the chop.

I wonder if the idiot drives cars?

18. Rob Beard
    Pirate

Re: He's obviously not from Norfolk

Nah, maybe his webbed fingers were sliced off.

What a numpty!

Made me laugh though.

Rob

19. PerfectBlue

To right

"His ability to reproduce could well have been one of the first things to get the chop."

Maybe the courts should do that instead of fining him. The least mentally able are often the most likely to breed these days. Maybe nature needs a helping hand in reversing the trend.

20. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Spot the idiot;

It's you, isn't it?

"The Norfolk Broads" is a pretty generic term which can entirely reasonably be used to refer to the whole spread of the Broads across Norfolk and Suffolk. I was able to understand that. The author who wrote the story was able to understand that. Even the guy who posted the YouTube video understands that. It's only you who's the odd one out here...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Greg J Preece

We have a Yamaha 4hp outboard and it's throttle does not spring shut and hasn't since we bought it. I can't remember if the old one did - I suppose some do some don't.

Frankly it's a pity he didn't lose and arm or leg as an example!

22. Mike 61
    Grenade

In the US

at least everywhere I have been, that kind of dumbass stunt would have gotten him a nice set of bracelet's and "hauled up before the beak" (if I have that term correct). We have sheriff patrol boats, and if you give them too much trouble they will haul you out of the drink with a gaff. Or just shoot you to avoid the paperwork.

23. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Re: Spot the idiot

I spotted the idiot: it was "Col 4".

The Norfolk Broads are on the border of Norfolk and Suffolk, so he could easily be on the Norfolk Broads in Suffolk. There was some idiotic scheme to rename the broads to the "Norfolk and Suffolk Broads"; I've got no idea how far they got with that but I don't really care either.

@AC 10:46:

What sort of ore? iron ore?

Perhaps you meant an oar?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Adrian Jooste

Those who can have already left. And judging by the incompetants running the brewery, and a majority of Sun comic & Daily Fail readers, idiots already outnumber the rest.

Don't forget, common sense was outlawed years ago.

25. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

God ... You couldn't make it up

I've was going to say I've never seen anything so fucking galactically stupid in my life. I was literally cringing just waiting for the moment the stupid fucker would be shredded. How he escaped this fate I will never know.

I saw someone literally turned into fishfood within seconds before my my very eyes -- years ago in Florida -- in a situation almost identical to this. There wasn't enough left to fill a bucket.

This idiot will surely get it in some other monstrously stupid fashion soon, I bet. Lets just hope he doesn't take some innocent bystander with him when he does. That boat could have easily crippled or killed someone else unlucky enough to be passing by this dumb bastard in that situation.

I agree. People this criminally stupid/negligent should be castrated.

26. This post has been deleted by its author

27. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Norfolk Broads

No this is nothing new on the Norfolk Broads, the place as become a super highway for boats.

And of course with little law enforcement, what does anyone expect.

The Broads is the National Park family but doesn't get the same protection.

National Parks are protected by the Sanford principle which basically puts the conservation of the natural environment as a priority over eveything else.

The Broads are completely different the special legislation gives the navigation of the waterways equal or better status than the conservation and the wildlife.

So today we look at a place that is on the verge of being destroyed.

But is doesn't matter as long as the local economy is doing well.

28. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Norfolk Broads(not a National Park)

The Broads has become one glorious lawless motorised waterway where this type of incident is nothing unusual.

Unlike the true National parks the Broads suffers from lack of protection due special legislation that quite frankly encourages the commercial exploitation of this wonderful waterway.

While the enviroment and widlife suffers, no one gives a stuff as long as they are ripping the place apart and making money.

Something needs to be done.

29. Broadsman

Normal For The Broads

Normal for Norfolk Broads.

The Broads has been denied The National Park that would have given the area more protection.

30. cor
    Stop

F@ckwit

I can't believe these retards are allowed in control of powered boats.

In this country (NL) you will get a hefty fine and possible seizure of your boat by the police if you don't have your deadmans cord tied on your wrist.

However, in above situation this Darwin candidate would prolly have been troutbait after one of the 300 footers (barges with up to 2x 1000 bhp) had finished with him.

Just imagine your kids were swimming nearby...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like