back to article YouTube clarifies ban on privacy, harassment and threats

YouTube has clarified the conditions under which it would remove videos that invade people's privacy or harass, impersonate or threaten them. YouTube maintains 'community guidelines' and removes videos that are flagged by users as violating them. According to the site: "YouTube staff review flagged videos 24 hours a day, seven …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reason...

Only Google should have access to all your personal information.

2. Baying Lynch Mob
    Grenade

Comments

I think the horse bolted long ago with regards to the Comments area on youtube. Unless they're going to expand the purpose of the "report as spam" button to cover blatant abuse, and employ a whole load more moderators, the current culture is geared too much towards deliberately offensive idiocy (mixed with all-out trolling) for this policy to make a dent.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you're on UFool you are an ass

Only Fools are on UFool so how can they not be an ass?

4. Ian Ferguson

"Don't leave threatening comments on other people's videos."

Good heavens, does that mean I will be forced to stop posting insightful criticism such as "LOL UR A MORONN"?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

"Muslim Demographics" hate video

I wonder it they will take down the "Muslim Demographics" video with these clarified guidelines. It has just been examined by the BBC (and previously by snopes).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8189231.stm

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/demographics.asp

6. Atrox666
    FAIL

One more step toward irrelivancy

As soon as they get functional controls in place everyone will go elsewhere.

The internet was so popular because it was a new frontier. Then you get all the sniveling little bitches that can only get through life by playing lawyer ball and hiding behind rules and regulations. When those whining turds have all the rules they need to get by then the venue is effectively destroyed and people lose interest. Much like the real world which is run by lawyers, Judges, executives and politicians. All professional sniveling turds. None of which make any net contribution to humanity.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@Atrox666

How, precisely, would you suggest that we administer our legal system without lawyers and judges, oh brilliant one? Or do you honestly think that everything would run much better without one?

Sad face because there's no rolling eyes icon.

8. r 13

I agree

the internet is dieing, it was fun because it sort of worked and when it didn't people self regulated.

Now it doesnt sort of work, or indeed work and is full of what makes the press and media crappy in this country - or indeed any country.

9. jon 77

yes, most is carp...

how about the false & misleading video titles??? some read just like the spam I get...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Err

"Those guidelines banned videos containing sex or nudity; hate speech; shocking or disgusting content; dangerous or illegal acts; copyright violations or inappropriate material involving children."

Yet (to my knowledge, I'm not going looking for it) they still host the video of Saddam Hussain being hanged, and the video mentioned above full of lies about how the Muslims will take over Europe by breeding out the white/Christians. (NB: It's worth listening to last week's 'more or less' on Radio 4 for a pretty comprehensive debunking of this video.) Oh and they still host a whole load of videos of gang members bigging each other up or dissing other gangs. Nice.

Maybe their business model should have involved some sort of moderation of all videos posted, but this would have required even more money, which any fule kno you tube doesn't have any of.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Atrox666

I wonder if you would go on the internet at all if the famouse bash,org "device to stab people in the face over the internet" existed.

Too many people think they can do or say what they lik ejust because they are on the internet.

Oh well.

12. William Towle
    Unhappy

Re: Err

Fraser> "Maybe their business model should have involved some sort of moderation of all videos posted, but this would have required even more money, which any fule kno you tube doesn't have any of.

"

With you on the "more proactive moderation". Based on what has become unavailable from my carefully-playlisted bookmarks and comparing to what's still there, it isn't even clear any effort is being spent on making sure people who click "flag this" have done so deliberately.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@William

Yup, it's a pretty typical Google method of doing things, automate everything, no actual people should be employed by Google to keep a service going (although allow joe public to do the work, if they want). This really bit them in the bottom when Michael Jackson died and they thought they were under attack because of the increase in searches for his name.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like