back to article Google jettisons radio broadcasting biz

Google has offloaded its radio automation business, six months after telling the world that its radio efforts "haven't had the impact we hoped for." On Wednesday, San Francisco-based startup WideOrbit announced it had acquired the assets to Google's radio automation biz, including three software products for driving radio …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

No surprise

Having spent a previous life working in the radio industry I found it odd that Google decided to enter the radio automation market. There simply aren't that many radio stations and there are long established and trusted companies selling their own systems. In addition in a cash strapped industry it's not hard to find systems that are 10 years old that are still doing a sterling performence. One station I know of had it's RCS system installed in 1996 and it was only replaced last year. MSDOS based, aside from the occasional HD in the SCSI array falling over it hadn't missed a beat in all that time.

So why Google wanted to enter a market that is cash strapped and sewn up is beyond me, espcially when the radio advertising market has been in terminal decline for the past few years, way beyond the current recession.

2. Rob Davis

Google's radio broadcasting business demise due to its core business - online advertising

Why is radio advertising in decline? Because the money is going to online advertising instead - of which Google is the leader.

So their core business likely reduced the market for their radio venture.

This topic is closed for new posts.