back to article Zend squeezes PHP into business suit

Zend Technologies has announced the latest version of its open-source framework for PHP, offering improved support for Microsoft and Novell environments. The changes are part of what Zend called more of a business focus, which encompasses updates to help those building and plumbing web services and enterprise applications into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Registered Correction?

Gavin,

Surely, to be much more accurate, even though it be an inconvenient truth, the statement "Microsoft worked with Zend in the past to improve the performance of PHP running on Windows, rather than see PHP applications deployed on Linux." should be written/overwritten/rewritten to read .... Zend worked with Microsoft in the past to improve the performance of Windows running on PHP, rather than see PHP applications deployed on Linux.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

the language is still terrible. It's for kids who cant be bothered to do things properly in java or .NET. I spent years on php, got very good at it too. Then realised it's horribly slow, has GLARING holes like no support for longints on 32 bit without some serious hacking and it's about as secure as windows ME.

3. Man Outraged
    Badgers

@meh

If you really want to do things properly then /shurely/ you should write everything in C, C++ or Objective C!

As an old hand raised on 8080, Z80 and 6800 assembler I've heard it over and over again. A new language comes along to make life easier and a load of the old reactionary self-preservation society members make their case for keeping things the way they are.

Believe it or not young whippersnapper they said exactly the same about Java!

As for the glaring holes about support for longints - what is a long int anyway? I'll tell you what it is on a 32-bit platform - it's the same as an int!

I'd like to think I've moved with the times and I'm pretty impressed with PHP. It certainly is not slow compared to rivals such as C# ASP.

4. The Other Steve
    FAIL

almost, but not entirely, quite unlike perl

If you are tied to the horrible abortion of a "language" php and it's attendant coterie of minimum wage, low skill, crayon wielding web monkeys for anything that could plausibly be described as 'business critical' then you are in seriously deep shit and no amount of spending on 'frameworks' is going to pull you out.

Like basket weaving and visual basic, php was never meant to escape from its primary role as a tool for pacifying the mentally ill into the wider community.

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Meh?

"It's for kids who cant be bothered to do things properly in "

No it's for web developers who recognise that sometimes a client wants a website set up quickly on a budget of less than £50,000. Round my way, .NET developers think they're worth upwards of £100,000 grand a year. They're not.

"Then realised it's horribly slow, "

Ah, you don't know how to code then.

"has GLARING holes like no support for longints on 32 bit "

If you want to talk integer size, then both Java and .NET fail miserably against the mighty python's unlimited integer size.

"without some serious hacking "

What, you mean installing an extension? Yeah, serious hacking that.

"and it's about as secure as windows ME."

Ah, you don't know how to code securely then, without lots and lots and lots of tools pointing out all your mistakes to you. Or perhaps you just don't know how to set up a webserver properly.

And you clearly haven't been paying attention to the news and all the .NET apps that have suddenly been found to be insecure.

6. Tom Chiverton 1

"default choice"

PHP is the default choice for web apps eh ? Not round these 'ere parts it aint, stranger.

7. CD001

fnar

lovin' the PHP haters - still writing assembly with Win 3.1 are we?

If you're coding for a web environment; on a FreeBSD server for instance, PHP is perfectly adequate - as long as you trust no-one (including client programmers) and fully sanitise everything but then, that's the same with any language. Yes, I could do all this in C++ or Java... but what's the point? We'd have to find client programmers that could understand those languages then.

PHP's interpreter is quicker than Ruby's and you don't necessarily have the inherent Mono overhead (remember kids - no .NET outside Windows) or even, if you don't want it, Zend Framework - PHP has grown up a lot since version 4 especially in the OOP department; granted it's not Java but it has traded in its Army Boots, Anarchist's T-Shirt and Vodka-Redbull for some comfy sneakers, a shirt and black coffee (although most PHP coders haven't yet).

Of course, what do I know, as I'm just a mentally ill, crayon wielding, web monkey... and worse still, by choice - you can keep your MFCs with C++ been there, done that and I'd rather be a web monkey. Funny thing is, my PHP code seems to fall over a lot less than the crap written by external contractors to run on the back office Win systems - but that's a whole other rant :)

8. Matthew Ellen

Framework?

Since when was AJAX a framework? JQuery perhaps. That's a rival with Dojo, I believe. AJAX is what Dojo and JQuery help out with.

AJAX is just an idea, a label for a style of technology.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

php-based drupal runs some well known sites

One of the best, free, opensource website content management systems/web service frameworks, drupal, is based on PHP.

And drupal runs on the most minimum of shared hosting platforms up to high grade dedicated servers.

www.drupal.org

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Re: php-based drupal runs some well known sites

Maybe so, but it still doesn't change the fact that PHP is a bastardised version of Perl, no matter how much Zend want to dress it up.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Fail Yourself, Steve

"If you are tied to the horrible abortion of a "language" php and it's attendant coterie of minimum wage, low skill, crayon wielding web monkeys"

Yeah, I don't think I'm worth £100,000 a year. I do, however, make a lot of money from clients who've suffered at the hands of perl devs, Java devs and .NET devs but turning out high quality, secure, lightweight websites that are delivered quickly don't require thousands on extra hardware and software licenses.

You seem to have mistaken El Reg for slashdot.

12. Man Outraged
    Flame

@Simon Ward - SO WHAT!

So what if PHP is just a bastardised version of Perl? Having written a fair bit of perl CGI in the 90's give me PHP anyday...

What is it with all these PHP haters? Enjoy life!

13. Aaron 10
    Gates Horns

PHP > .NET

Who are these lubed-up Microsoft whores that think a proprietary standard that only runs on Microsoft web servers is better than an open standard that (now) supports ActiveDirectory and eDirectory authentication? Good God, people! Do you enjoy being lashed to Steve Ballmer's rump, forced to eat the pus from his back for nutrients?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like