back to article Segway inventor builds shoe-controlled bionic arm

Famous inventor Dean Kamen has developed a revolutionary new bionic arm for use by US troops injured in combat. The arm, now in beta testing, is manipulated from a foot-operated control panel inside one of the user's shoes and employs a vibrating feedback mechanism. The DEKA prosthetic arm being trialled by the VA's Frederick …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hold a pencil..

yep thats great.. now what? hit it with a hammer?

although undoubtedly better than what went before implying that users can write with it is just misleading and wrong. there is still a very long way to go. Its good to see Dean still works on the humanitarian side of business.

2. Rowan Moore
    Thumb Up

If it's controlled by your foot doesn't that mean that ....

...whilst out walking you're likely to poke yourself in the eye, throttle innocent passers-by, poke the arseholes of nearby dogs etc etc?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Better still

Attach all the prosthetics together and send them into battle instead of soldiers then only civilians will get hurt! and to save on man power control them by a big computer, we could call it sky net.......

4. Andy ORourke
    Happy

@ Rowan Moore

You sir owe me 1 keyboard & monitor

5. Elmer Phud
    Happy

Other uses.

Training for drinking.

Bring the bottle towads you, move it away, bring it towards you, move it away. Repeat.

Get rid of bottle.

6. Dick Emery

@Rowan

You beat me to the punchline!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Could be worse...

The equivalent version for those who've lost legs in land-mine explosions is a hand-controlled foot. The only problem is you can't have a wank without running round the bedroom.

8. Mike
    Joke

and for 6 million

you get an eye, two legs, an arm and a reinforced spine..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Ash would be proud

(crushes a flagon) "Groovy."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Issue them immediately.

All members of congress should have one fitted immediately!!!!!!!

11. John Smith Gold badge
    Boffin

Isn't the usual aim to blow soldiers legs off?

My recollection of the Viet Nam era dangers to US troops were land mines popping up to knee or groin height and literally chopping them off at the knees.

Still seems a popular attack mode for people who don't like Uncle Sam abroad.

12. Marvin the Martian
    Stop

Editing error.

Challenge of the day: invent things *less* useful than a segway. Indulge me.

Indeed. So the sentence should read "Of bloody course more useful than a segway!".

13. Rob
    Coat

Red Dwarf

Pick up the ball!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like