back to article Buddy unveils Metro e-car

Norwegian electric vehicle (EV) maker Buddy has whipped the dust sheets off its latest car, the Metro. Buddy_Metro_004 Buddy's Metro: a three-seater coated in durable Telene plastic Buddy officially unveiled its Metro at the recent 24th Electric Vehicle Symposium in Stavanger, Norway in the presence of such luminaries as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Down

As usual....

Speed: Inadequate.

Range: Inadequate.

Price: Ridiculous.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Eeek!

There was a period in the seventies and eighties when serveral British startups decided that what we really needed was to transfer the running gear from our aging rust buckets (usually BL products) to one of their GRP body shells. The big selling point of these conversions was usually that they were so much better styled and more practical than the originals. In reality they were usually pig ugly with straight lines and sharp angles.

This looks like it was styled by one of those guys.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Designed..

by an engineer, not a designer.

Functional, but looks shite.

4. Peter Bond
    Thumb Up

if Ikea made cars...

If I could buy one flat pack from my local Ikea for £6k I'd be interested!

5. David Edwards

Paint it orange

Black stripe and its a 4 wheeled bond bug!

6. Albert Gonzalez
    Flame

A brief cost analysis

Price of vehicle 15200€

Number of recharges : 500 max

km per charge : about 100

kWh of a charge : 13,1 kWh

cost of kWh : 0,095€ / kWh

Max km of the power pack: 50000km

Electricity consumed : 6550kWh

Cost of electricity (100% charger efficiency) : 622€

Cost of energy + vehicle : 15822€

Cost per km : 0,31€/km

So the only interesting point is the energy cost.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Ugly

Looks like a bad prop for the first Star Trek series.

8. Geoff Mackenzie

That's uglier ...

... than my old Metro.

9. Dave
    Boffin

Maths

The range is nice and easy to work out:

13KWh battery / 13kW motor = 1hour at full throttle

Should be okay for most folk as a commuter car if those numbers for the battery are accurate.

What's the recharge time, though?

10. Steve Todd
    Stop

This is the sort of thing that gives EVs a bad name

Spectacularly ugly, poor range, poor acceleration, poor top speed and too expensive. To be at all competitive with a petrol town car you need a 30KW motor (40BHP equivalent) and a 160KM (100 mile) range. You'd also want to get a decent design house involved for the bodywork and the price down to the £10K mark (still £4k more than a petrol model).

11. Captain Hogwash
    Thumb Up

Finally!

Car designers have caught up with 1960s sci-fi movie aesthetics.

12. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: Paint it orange

I thought that. It looks like someone's taken a Bond Bug, parked it with its nose against a wall and then rammed it up the arse with a Foden truck.

13. Dr. Mouse

Too expensive.

As you can get a small petrol city car, which will have much more range and performance, and will not need expensive battery replacement after a couple of years, would probably work out cheaper over the 1-2years life of this thing. You would save about £7000 by going for something like an Aygo. Thats about 7000l petrol at current prices, 1540 gallons, or approx 90,000 miles (60mpg Aygo 'combined' economy), plus you would be able to take it on the motorway without being scared ****less (and a danger to everyone else)

They need the cost to be down in the £6-10k range before it will be even close to worth it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're all being too hard on the designer

One of the things the designer mentioned in his brief for this horrible-looking thing was that it had t be big enough to carry two people and

A CASE OF BEER

This guy is clearly thinking clearly, we should encourage more engineers to work this way. So the next space shuttle must carry 7 astronauts into orbit for seven days, return safely in any weather and be capable of stowing a case of beer. The US Army's next robot must survive dangerous combat conditions and not spill a single bottle of beer...

15. Pete James

Speechless

Yet more proof that the future of private transport is chock-full of opportunists. That is a truly dreadful piece of work, horrifically overpriced and blissfully free of a single redeeming feature.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cornering Issues?

It looks like they dont do curves..

17. Parax
    Alert

a new definition...

...of FUGLY!

18. Stu
    Alert

Whoever the hell...

...it is that invented the fugly smart-car shape design need locking up.

And those who copy said design need shooting.

Just reminds me of a fatal shunt accident I saw involving two lorries and a saloon car on the M1, they must've thought it'd be a great idea to reproduce the look of carnage.

Quite sick.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Actually

I quite like the look of it; it's almost retro futurist :)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Good god

As first efforts go...this thing is Shite. Capital S too.

Whatever spec sheet the guy used, it's going in the bin. Here - try this one:

range: 200miles+ please

Acceleration: 0-60 in <13sec please

Top speed: 70mph+ please

Battery life: 5yrs+ please, with < 5% degradation

Price: < £8,000 please

looks: anything better than this. Oh dear yes.

Stop, because they should have. Very early on.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Looks like...

...the love child of a Smart Fortwo and a Bond Bug, but crippled with some sort of horrible birth defect.

As the kids today would say, FAIL. This is just following the fine, unsuccessful tradition of making an electric vehicle that has limited range, limited speed, limited acceleration, takes all night to recharge and tries to look all futuristic (but ends up just being weird and ugly), then selling it at the sort of price that makes your eyes burst when you look at the price tag.

This topic is closed for new posts.