back to article Microsoft rolls Netflix into Windows Media Center

Microsoft snuggled a little closer to its US movies-on-demand buddy Netflix on Wednesday by rolling the firm's streaming content into Windows Media Center. Netflix subscribers can now access the company's library of streaming movies and TV shows right on the media dashboard built into Vista Home Premium and Ultimate. Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Grant
    Gates Horns

Netflix and Microsoft; no suprise

Just happens that the CEO of netflix is on the board of MS; and surprise, surprise, Microsoft plays nice with Netflix and Netflix suddenly decides that Silverlight is better than sliced bread.

Meanwhile Neflix clients have to put up with yet another plug in that they didn't ask for, because of these sorts of executive back-scratching deals. And Microsoft partners who might offer streaming get screwed.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003637478_msftboard27.html

2. l3bowsk1
    Thumb Up

I for one welcome our new streaming overlords.

"After all, why not just browse the content directly from Netflix's website if you're stuck on the PC in the first place?"

I'll tell you why - ever since I "upgraded" to Netflix's SIlverlight player, every time I play a Netflix movie on my Vista Premium HTPC from Netflix's site, the player crashes from fullscreen to windowed mode every time Windows remarks on even the most unremarkable events ("would you like to clean your desktop?" No - I only have 5 icons on my desktop for a reason, you twit.).

You try making it through 30 Days of Night when fullscreen playback dies more often than the characters in the damn movie.

Having native Netflix Silverlight support right in WMC means that Windows event notifications are suppressed and I can enjoy the streaming goodness in all its fuzzy, 480p glory.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing to Watch

Do many people even look at what little is available on Netflix streaming?

Next to nothing. What's there isn't worth watching.

4. Mark Aggleton

Help

No anti MS comments yet, where are you all

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Media what ?

never use the crap.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Pointless News

Once again, a .co.uk site basically telling us of a corporation introducing a service that isn't available to the UK. Talk about ironic.

Same thing has been happening for ages with Sony's mysterious PS3 Movie Download channel, only available in the US. There may be red-tape (licensing and royalties issues) but why do these corporations sit around for so long on getting these services over to Europe. Unless you have BT Vision, the true internet movie rental service is failing in the UK and Europe as there are no decent suppliers.

7. PushF12
    Gates Horns

Silverlight buggered Netflix on my Mac and Linux home theatre

Netflix worked fine on my Power Mac and on my Linux home theater kit until they broke the streaming service with Silverlight.

If Netflix streaming is embedded in the Windows Media Player, then maybe I can get it through WINE.

I wonder what it is like to work for a company where you can just bribe your shitty products into the market.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not much point supporting on the Extenders

when Linksys and HP have both discontinued their extenders :-(

Extenders are a great idea, but poorly implemented.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@l3bowsk1

How many event notifications do you GET, anyway? Seems like turning the stuff off is your first step to happiness. The damned things are obnoxious no matter WHEN they happen!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like