back to article Canon EOS 500D

Digital SLRs are generally aimed at three distinct groups: beginners, advanced users and pros. Occasionally, a model emerges that doesn’t fit so neatly into any of these categories. Take the Canon EOS 500D – a high-end, entry level DSLR perhaps? Then again, it could also be a low-end, mid-range camera. So is the EOS 500D simply …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Willis
    Unhappy

Caution with US/Asian cameras and warrenties

Buying the Rebel from the USA is a great idea, save a fortune.

But beware Cannon and warranties, Cannon UK will more often than not refuse to repair a none EU purchased and warrentied camera under warrenty cover.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"To avoid falling into the camcorder tax band..."

What the -hell-?

Signed,

An American

3. Anomalous Cowherd Silver badge
    Thumb Down

8 Pages of review

And you spend 4 lines summarizing the video? Four lines? The rest of it is pretty familiar to any Canon user - the video is the interesting bit...

4. John

sample shots

liking the composition of the sample shots more and more.

hopefully when my 400D croaks I'll either be rich enough for a proper camera or the manufacturers will have sorted out their video offerings.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trade offs

It's a bandwidth issue - to get full 1080p at 30fps requires a lot of processing in realtime, and also a very fast SD card. Also a sensor capable of getting that amount of data out at the required rate. That costs.

720p should be good enough for most people I would have thought. Still better than a lot of older camcorders, from something really designed for stills. Not too shoddy.

Mind you, it'll be on your mobile phone next year, and you get those free with your cornflakes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Somewhere inbetween...

In future reviews a sample shot at say ISO 1600 on a tripod at night would be nice, to see noise comparisons with the handheld shot

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Canon pricing

Canon always launches cameras at stupidly high prices, only to cut them back to more sensible levels within weeks. The 500D is no different. It can currently be had, with the 18-55 mm IS kit lens, for £700 online. Still a hefty mark-up on the US equivalent price of £600, but much better than the ridiculous £900 at launch.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Tax before or after..

in the UK VAT is included in the US sales tax is added, it might be wise to compare the tax free price in both cases..

Additionally tell us something about Focus in Video mode... is it fixed/manual/automatic?!?!

Doubt I'll be upgrading my 450 just yet..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Audio??

'And it would useful if Canon had included an external mic socket on this model.'

so no Audio then?? or is there just a builtin Mic??

10. Neill Mitchell
    Thumb Up

They have just slahsed the price

You can pick up the 500D lens kit for £639 or body only for £599. This is the new High Street price as well. This makes the 500D a much more attractive proposition.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical...

Even at £639 (or body only for £599) it still seems the lens is only worth £40 or that the body only is a rip-off.. It looks like its getting to the point where they are going to start screwing the upgrade market.. since lens's dont change much, its going to nbe a new body every other year with another single desirable feature added and something else toned down only to become the new feature when they put it back in a future model...

This topic is closed for new posts.