back to article Europe calls for rules on RFID chips

The European Commission has put out a series of recommendations to protect European citizens from the privacy risks associated with RFID chips. Radio Frequency IDentification chips are used across the continent. Applications include Oyster travel cards, building access cards and for tracking inventory. Retailers are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christoph

The consumers don't know

"dependent on acceptance from consumers" - but how can the consumers object when they don't know about the tags and have no way to find out?

Is anyone producing a cheap gadget to detect these tags?

It would be nice to be able to zap them automatically as well, but of course someone would use that in a tube carriage to zap everyone's Oysters.

2. Pat
    Black Helicopters

Faraday Wallet anyone?

http://www.difrwear.com/

Very good quality and works well.

3. EnricoSuarve
    Pirate

Not if this goverment has anything to say

Jacqui Smith cornered outside her main residence, a small B&B in Westminster run by her cousin's brother's dog, stated to journalists this morning, "This changes nothing - as with the DNA database our government will completely ignore Brussels, the plan to tag, bag and control the peons goes on as before, a-ha, a-hah-hah, a-ha-ha-MU-Har!!!", before a minder assisted her into her waiting hearse

Which brings me to another topic - why are we supposed to fear losing sovereignty to Brussels? It sure seems that most of the legislation that actually protects our liberties (or at least tries to) is originating from there at the moment. I'm more worried about what damage Brown and his crew can do with their remaining powers

Rather than devolve away from Brussels, can we devolve Westminster away from the rest of the UK?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

Why would I ever be accepting of data on me being obtainable at a distance by people I don't know, without having given my explicit permission ? IMO it matters not how useful some may find these things, their activity is inherently wrong.

5. Alan
    Coat

Why worry about this?

The way the UK government is going, we'll all be implanted with one of these chips before long anyway so the government will be able to track all of us all of the time.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Got a point

If every item in my bag has a rfid chip. I dont want some tech savvy mugger knowing what i just bought. How much it cost. And maybe how i paid for it with his little handheld rfid "skimmer"

He can just scan all the bags until he finds someone with something in it of value to him

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Re: The consumers don't know

The short answer is no.

The long answer involves what type of RFID is being used (UHF, HF, active, passive etc) and what protocols are being used and what you consider to be cheap.

If you are that concerned that anything of note could be gleaned by reading any tags that may be about your person then simply wrap your self in tin foil. That should make you "invisible" to the system....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this the same EU ..

.. that mandated RFID as a data carrier in EU state passports?

That's a bit late IMHO, but better late than never..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like