back to article Kyocera Mita FS-2020D

Kyocera Mita makes a range of laser printers and multi-functionals from personal one-per-desk models right up to big-league machines that can handle small-run production print jobs. The FS-2020D is a ‘team’ printer, so medium-size groups of workers are the users it's been developed for. There are a few things it needs to do to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim

Costs

Out of curiosity, how much is a new drum, if the old one should happen to fail after 3 yrs& a month?

Tim#3

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Dead Vulture

Advertising

There's an ad next to this article that says "Follow Reg Hardware on Twitter".

Et tu Brute?

3. Sam

Destruction testing

Is it Gordon Brown proof?

4. Dave

counterfeit cartridges

Shame on El Reg for not even commenting on the "counterfeit cartridges" claim. If the printer manufacturers put half as much effort into making all of their cartridges to a common standard, as they currently put into deliberatly making them non-standard, then the world would be a better place for all.

Of course different companies make their toner to different standards, but at the moment we have no way to compare - if everyone used standard cartridges, then they might actually have to compete on quality.

5. Adam White

Looks cheap and nasty

I wonder if I can still get consumables for an old Kyocera FS-3750, those things we built like a tank.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: costs

We sell Kyocera printers to some of our larger clients, and while they start crying for maintainance kit after 300.000 pages, they keep working (I know one FS-1920 is at 440.000 pages now, and there's another above 400.000). The maintainance kits for these are around 500€. I don't see the kits for 2020D yet, but I'd imagine they cost about the same, so it's probably better to buy a new printer once the old one stops working (and that means actually stops working, not just crying that it wants MK).

7. Simon Williams
    Boffin

@Dave

Not sure what you mean by a common standard. The cartridge is an integral part of a printer's mechanism, so if you're advocating a single cartridge which can fit a number of different models from different makers, you're crying in the wind. The print engine is what differentiates between makes and that design freedom is heavily guarded by manufacturers.

There's often some commonality between models in a single manufacturer's range, though, and that was why we picked out the fact that Kyocera Mita was deliberately making them different, to make it harder for counterfeiters.

This topic is closed for new posts.