back to article Sheep ad not cruel, bleats Samsung

Samsung has shorn off criticism from animal rights group PETA that its latest TV advert is cruel to sheep. Can't see the video? Download Flash Player from Adobe.com The ad for Samsung LED TVs saw sheep fitted with nets of “Smart LEDs” – as used in the TVs – and then herded around a field, in the usual way. But PETA’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. SuperTim
    Thumb Up

Mmmmm....Meat!

Sorry, PETA, but i think you are losing the battle for credibility.

Now i am off to eat some questionably killed meat........Slurp!

2. Lionel Baden

whoa !

that was cool :)

3. Richard
    Coat

”sentient, intelligent and complex”

To be fair, compared to the average PETA spokesperson, the average ovine looks like Marilyn vos Savant.

I don't eat PETA reps because there's no meat on them...

4. Stef
    Alert

Sentient sheep?`

Sentient sheep?

Oh my god!!!! We are about to be overthrown as the dominant species on the planet.

All must bow to our woolly overlords.

So, does this guy have regular conversations with the sentient sheep? Is clinical insanity a prerequisite for working at PETA?

5. Dave Harris
    Happy

That is

absolutely brilliant

How the hell did they come up with the Mona Lisa idea?

6. Thomas Swann
    IT Angle

”sentient, intelligent and complex”

Um... ok.

Well, as someone who grew up on a sheep farm I have to say that this would be one statement that perfectly describes whatever the complete opposite of a sheep is.

Intelligent? SRSLY

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What cruel evil people would do this?

Inflicting PETA on the world that is!!

Mines the sheepskin one with the LED's on it

8. Steve
    Happy

Surely I'm not the first to say....

Baaaaa d article!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sentient, intelligent and complex?

So the opposite of PETA members then

Pathetic Egotistical Tofu Afficionados

10. Graeme McKeague
    Coat

Sheep intelligent?? dont make me laugh

"She also claimed that the woolly wonders are… ahem… ”sentient, intelligent and complex” animals."

yea surrrrre go back to the city leave us country folk be! dont talk about sheep until you have worked with them for the last 10 years - and im only 22!

I have seen sheep run full force into gates when there is an open one right beside it - fools!

I seen this a while back and they are really well trained dogs to do that!

Congrats to the farmers

Mines the one hangin on the crook with the baler twine hanging out of it

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Huh?

I've seen the advert a few weeks ago. Are we really supposed to be believing that the unconvincing distant shots of "LED-clad" sheep are actually something other than distant shots of ordinary sheep with a bit of CGI post-production to prettify them up? Maybe it looks much more convincing in non-Flash form with decent TV-like resolution?

Penguin, just cos I likes animals.

12. Alan Esworthy
    Flame

PETA

I'm not one for locking up people who are "a danger to themselves and others" but PETA makes me re-examine that position from time to time. These are, after all, the people who euthanize almost all of the dogs and cats and other animals they "rescue." One might wish that they would find something useful and productive to do with their time such as sanitizing telephones.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Baaah!

Those women over at PETA need to suck a fat one and realize how good meat can be.

14. Jamie
    Linux

yadda yadda yadda

Only thing worst than PETA is GreenPeace or IFAW.

15. Duncan Robertson
    Thumb Up

Funniest video in a long time

I thought this was the funniest video I have seen in a long time. Particularly struck a chord being a resident of North East Scotland - where men are men and sheep are scared!

16. breakfast Silver badge
    Flame

Causing undue stress

Why is it whenever I see PETA's name mentioned it's in another ridiculous publicity-grabbing stunt seemingly designed to fill me entirely with rage and hate for them and all their repugnant bunny-fascist kindred?

They're like some bizarre political Mr Bean with their sanctimonious outrage and their bizarre and irrelevant campaigns about... well, nothing as far as I can tell. There are people out there in the real world suffering. There are animals out there in the real world suffering.

Sheep, being moved around by sheepdogs, are about as low on the scale of animal cruelty as you can get. It's like a homelessness charity campaigning on behalf of people who, although they have a home and live quite comfortably in general, have cheap shoes.

Seriously, PETA, you're causing me more stress just by being so irritatingly, horrifyingly stupid than any number of the animals in whose "favour" you have campaigned. There are lions starving in some parts of the world and I can think of a great way that you could help.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In response to PETA's complaint...

...I'm going to go kick a barn owl to death*. For fun.

* - Not really.

18. Craig
    Thumb Up

Thats....

Awesome!!!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Yeah right

Ok PETA is now bitching about sheep being moved around... by a sheep dog. Now granted it's not their usual herding pattern but cruel?? No not in the least. The more PETA bleats (no pun intended) over non issues like this only serve to make them look like nothing more than publicity junkies doing anything they can to get a fix.

20. Roger Lancefield
    Joke

Animals don't have rights...

...they have flavour.

21. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Alternative backronym

People Eating Tasty Animals

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stressed?

Sentient, intelligent and complex? I think someone at PETA has watched the film "Black Sheet" too many times!

As for sheep being stressed by the sheepdogs that are used to move them around - bollocks! They grow up around them, they are used to it.

Re:Duncan Robertson

"I thought this was the funniest video I have seen in a long time. Particularly struck a chord being a resident of North East Scotland - where men are men and sheep are scared!"

Having grown up on a Farm in a few miles out of Buckie and then moved to the north west (full of sheep) I had the same thoughts.

;)

Mines the one with the matching wellies!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mmmm...

... pass the mint sauce.

24. David

@Duncan Robertson

That must be 'cos you scots are all pug ugly and utterly charmless: In Cumbria, Men are men and the sheep wear lipstick and mascara and SHAVE.

Dirty Dave.

25. Dave
    Thumb Up

cool!

How awesome was that?! :)

26. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I'm a member of P.E.T.A.

People Eating Tasty Animals

See Also: Vegetarian

Old Native American word for poor hunter.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Brilliant

Where can I get a high quality video of that?

28. raving angry loony

bullcrap

Sometimes PETA has a point. Other times they really need to get their heads out of the bovine excrement. This complaint is of the latter type.

PETA should stick to complaining about practices that really are cruel, and not just a bunch of sheep, dogs and men having a roll in the hay. field.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Vegetables Are What Food Eats

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39180

The dirty little secret about vegetarians?

Well, let's just say that their fingers are in a constant state of being pulled...

Mine's the one with the scorchmarks on the back...

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By The Way...

The video isn't faked. Those sheepdogs are freakin' amazing.

31. Doug Glass
    Go

Frakk PETA

I am a true animal lover. I love my mutton right next to the mash potatoes and gravy.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mmmm

Whatever - PETA do some good things for the downtrodden beasts on this planet, but this is taking the piss, as someone else said, damages their cred. I don't see any any animals being hurt for this shit - although TBH, it kind of looked OK at first, and then I realised it was just an advert for f*cking Samsung, and I immediately stopped being impressed. Don't know why, it just loses any meaning or gravity for me when you know it had such massive funding and resources behind it, and all to sell some crappy TVs. Just me, picky I know, but there you go.

Had it just been a bunch of shepherds doing it for a laugh it would have been truly stunning. Also I'm not convinced there was NO fakery going on....not at all.... (and yes sheepdogs are "freakin` amazing`, but still, definitely some CGI going on there...)

33. Mike
    Thumb Up

In Alberta

There is plenty of room for all God's creatures - right beside the mashed potatoes.

34. Openminded Cynic
    Go

Yummeh

I think sheep would suffer a lot less stress if they weren't all made of lamb chops and wooly jumpers.

35. James O'Brien
    Flame

@A few of you

@Sentient sheep?

"All must bow to our woolly overlords."

Damn the time difference for allowing you to beat me to that :)

@breakfast

"Why is it whenever I see PETA's name mentioned it's in another ridiculous publicity-grabbing stunt seemingly designed to fill me entirely with rage and hate for them and all their repugnant bunny-fascist kindred?"

Probably because it does the same in most if not all of us here? I cant stand those idiots in anything about the only joy I get from them is watching them makes constant asses of themselves and their "cause"(whatever that is really)

@Roger Lancefield

"...they have flavour."

The more flavor the better they taste too :)

Now who wants to join me in clubbing some of those deadly vicious baby harp seals?

/Flames because I like mine charred

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re 'By The Way...'

> The video isn't faked. Those sheepdogs are freakin' amazing.

Some of it is pretty badly faked (e.g. the movement of the 'walking' at the start) . (Or I missed the sarcasm and I've been trolled.)

I suspect that they originally planned to do it all for real but someone decided it wasn't impressive enough and needed some post-production.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

It is fake; proof enclosed

Sorry to burst the collective bubble of innocence, but I'm afraid it quite definitely is fake:

http://www.moving-picture.com/index.php/digital/571-samsung-extreme-sheep-led-art.html

My understanding is the close-up shots are real (colour grading and general touch-ups notwithstanding), but the full-hill shots are using considerable CG trickery. Sorry!

38. Sureo

Smelly stuff

What a load of BS .... er, SS?

39. raving angry loony

an udder thing

The idiots at PETA should be thanking the lads (and dogs) for exercising the poor things. Otherwise they'd just be barely moving, chowing down, getting fat and lazy with bad hearts.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Mmm...Fresh Crow

The original viral was sent by someone from Wales, and he swore it was real.

I like fresh crow with egg on face.

I'll send your URI right back at the sheep-lover...

41. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The Heck With PETA Dumbasses And Their Outrage Over Fake Sheep

Did you check out the Carousel ad? Those guys are good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ3D4CqHbJM

42. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So it's been CGI-faked ...

Sheeproll anyone ? :D

(and for those of you that don't get the joke - it's like a Rickroll, but then with more bleating, wool and a field)

43. Seán

@Jamie

Greenpeace are not "worst"[sic] than PETA I think you've confused knuckledragging with righteous indignation.

44. AngrySup
    Dead Vulture

But what's the velocity

of a sheep in a vacuum? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/vulture_central_standards/page2.html

45. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

PETA is full of ......

Shyte!

Anyway, the scronym should be PITA (as in PAIN IN THE ASS!)

46. Greg Adams
    Happy

Sheeproll, eh?

Can I get some jelly to go with that sheeproll? Mmm, murder.

47. Charles Smith
    Go

Thank you PETA

Excellent work PETA, without your efforts I would have missed seeing a brilliant advert. It is so good when these nutters actually have some use in society.

48. Ed

PETA

PETA need to STFU

Bunch of whiney ass bitch's

49. Kurt Faasse
    Paris Hilton

C.H.U.D. anyone?

Perhaps we should just eat human beings. There are too many of the pesky things as it is, and they seem to be the source of all the world's faults. Also, I've read the meat is particularly sweet. And recommended by Jonathan Swift and Rod Serling.

50. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Graeme McKeague

"I have seen sheep run full force into gates when there is an open one right beside it - fools!"

I've seen people do that.

If I wrote what I wanted to about PETA I'd have been baaaaaaa 'd

Yes, the sheepskin one please.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like