back to article Canonical punts Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope

Canonical this afternoon debuted its Ubuntu 9.04 release of Linux, the tenth release since the company founded the Ubuntu project in October 2004. This iteration of Ubuntu, code-named “Jaunty Jackalope,” comes with mixes designed specifically for three platforms: netbooks, desktops, and servers. Ubuntu is a normal release, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Better yet..

Wait until May 5th and get a real, business capable OS (Windows 7). I am really, MySQL? After Oracle has just bought Sun? Yeah, like that will be around a long time.

And $900 a seat a year for support? Well, I guess that blows the budget for the staff retraining program. I hope the users like the command line, they'll have to get used to it. A lot.

[I shall now sit back and watch the flame war :oP]

2. Johannes Simeonidis
    Happy

Ubuntu naming convention

Hello,

# The seventh release (Gutsy Gibbon) was released in October 2007, release number 7.10.

# The eighth release (Hardy Heron) was released in April 2008, release number 8.04 LTS.

The above is a copypasta from the following link: http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/faq

So Karmic Koala will be Ubuntu 9.10 and not 10.09.

Be sure to give it a try. I've been running Kubuntu 9.04 since the beta release and am loving every minute of it.

Br,

Johannes

3. Neil
    Linux

10.09 - confused?

> Ubuntu is a normal release, meaning that it will eventually be replaced

> by Ubuntu 10.09 eighteen month from now (in October 2010).

Don't you mean "9.04 is a normal release"? And eighteen months from April 2009 is October 2010, but this would mean the replacement version is 10.10 not 10.09 (Ubuntu versioning is based on <year>.<month> of release, typically every 6 months)

4. Suburban Inmate
    Stop

I remember the last Ubuntu release.

It was far beyond EPIC FAIL in terms of (un)usability and hardware (un)recognition. That's after I gave your OS an entire day (11 hours) of learning Linux and following RAID installation instructions that only a skilled hardware nerd could follow.

Final chance Canonical! Pass now or forever FAIL. Oh and where the fuck is the "Devil Tux" icon?

5. Henry Wertz Gold badge

Jumped the gun a little

Canonical's actually jumped the gun a little.. they have a release on their home page saying Ubuntu 9.04 is available, but it's actually available April 23rd. The release candidate should be fine to download and try out though -- as long as it doesn't have any showstopper bugs keeping it from installing or running to begin with, if you run the updates you're up to date either way.

6. Steve Foster

Arrived?

Hmmm, must be some sort of time warp at Vulture Central then, since for the rest of us "arrived" really means "coming Thursday 23rd (if our servers can keep up with demand)".

7. Wila
    Linux

not release until april 23

From http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-9.04-desktop

<quote>LONDON, April 20, 2009 – Canonical, the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, announced today that Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition is free to download from Thursday 23 April. Also announced were the simultaneous releases of Ubuntu 9.04 Server Edition and Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix (UNR) </quote>

Almost released then eh?

8. Macka
    Thumb Up

The future of Ubuntu Server

Getting Ubuntu Server certified on vendor hardware is the first important step. Without that it won't even make any enterprise corporate short list. Next comes application support: is it certified for Oracle 11g RAC for example? Pass that test in a big enough way for vendors to see customer interest and then the vendors will start to front the support themselves and back it off to Canonical, just like they do with Redhat right now. When Ubuntu Server gets to this point then it's playing with the big boys and should be ready to start making money. There's just once last piece of the puzzle. What does Ubuntu have that compares to Novell's Zenworks, or Redhat's RHN Satellite, or the upstream Spacewalk? Automated installs with Kickstart is a great start; but strong patch management is the final piece in the puzzle. Corporations want to patch their systems in a controlled and tested way before rolling out into production. i.e. collect all patches for a quarter; load them onto a test server; test and QA and if it's all good then patch the production systems to the same level. Wash, rinse, repeat! When Ubuntu Server has all this, then it can compete head on with the best. I look forward to it.

An no (anticipating some smart ass comment) rolling your own via your own clever scripting (while perfectly possible) doesn't cut it. IT dept heads need to know that when you leave, the methods supporting their business are skills they can recruit against, or get people trained on. So it has to be a well supported solution direct from Ubuntu / Canonical.

9. Lager And Crisps
    Gates Halo

...first post, LOL!!!

Microsofties are patrolling all the tech sites I see. Rooting tooting for the off, the Windows 7 release date are we? They nearly always go by the name of "Anonymous Coward", could be coincidence I guess.

Either that or Bill Gates has too much time on his hands these days.

Come back Bill, all is forgotten...

10. Kwac
    Gates Halo

Command line?

What's that?

Oh, I've checked Amazon and found a book to explain it all to me "Windows Administration at the Command Line for Windows Vista, Windows 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000" by John Paul Mueller.

Wonder if I can do this on Ubuntu; dumb question, of course I can't - its all point and click.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Not quite there - a familiar story?

I've used it on and off for two years but with regards to web design there's not enough good quality paid apps available for me to be able to make the permanent switch and please don't talk about WINE or virtual desktops because that means I'd have to use Windows based software, which is precisely the reason why I bought a Mac.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Downloading now..

if you do a

sudo update-manager -d

9.04 is there for the taking..

13. elderlybloke
    Gates Horns

to Anon . coward - Post no 1

Boo Boo Boo.

14. Grant

1st poster

Post & runs; I presume astro-turfers get paid, but paid enough to really believe the stuff being spouted?. Doesn't even irritate me too much as its not like I have to choose between Win7 and Ubuntu - the latter being free and runs fine on my VM.

As for MySQL ... yes, it will be around for a long time. With MySQL having 11m seats, mostly in simple LAMP sites, Oracle will no doubt keep it as the low-end RDB to complement there high-end solutions; and the beauty of MySQL is that unlike say SQLServer, it is open-source; which means that IBM or anybody such as Canonical can fork it.

15. Pierre
    Linux

Debian goodness?

"Ubuntu 9.04 has arrived, offering Debian goodness for netbooks, desktops, and servers"

I think my netbook, laptop*, desktops and servers will be fine with their current full-fledged "Debian goodness" for now, but thanks for advertising the dumbed-down version. Anything but MS, as the saying goes.

* nah, no "s" for netbook or laptop, I'm kinda short in the *[book][top] department.

16. Pierre
    Thumb Up

PS: inB4 Debian sux

I have a modest but still respectable collection of more-or-less-out-of-date machines running all kind of OSes, including but not limited to net-, free- and dragonfly- BSD, bluebottle, GNU's HURD Alpha's Tru64 UNIX, a helluvalot different Linux flavors, and (shame) various variants of Windows. As far as I am concerned, Debian just works. But the others are still fun to mess around with!

17. Sitaram Chamarty
    Happy

@Lager and Crisps

"Microsofties are patrolling all the tech sites..."?

You have an extra "pa" in that there verb :)

18. Toastan Buttar
    Pirate

For those about to download:

If you're planning on downloading 9.04 on Thursday, please try not to swamp Canonical's servers. There will be torrents available from many sources. Could I suggest The Pirate Bay as your first port of call ?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

In the name of god people...

...with regards to the first post, read the last line and engage brain before posting.

Fanbois (from all camps) are all the same. Reactionary morons. I knew I'd get a few.

Oh and "there"!="their"

20. Jay Brooks
    Linux

Best Ever for me!

This release is the best for the machines I use. My HP Laptop (dv9500 amd64 based with nvidia chipset and graphics) runs without me having to give work arounds to the kernel. Wifi works without having to do anything. This even worked prefect with my intel P4 system with Intel Graphics. Previous versions of ubuntu would not boot because of a incompatibility with the intel video driver. This release booted and worked without a problem.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Hmmm

From the Canonical website: "Ready for you (sic) business – it just works"

Apparently something doesn't.

22. Simon Langley
    Linux

Good but still some way to go with hardware support

Much as I love Ubuntu, Jaunty does not fully support the hardware on my Acer Aspire One, which is disappointing.

It works on everything else I use (and have ever used) though.

Unlike Microsoft, Canonical has not pissed off almost all of the users of their previous OS. Vista was the worst OS I have used since Windows 95 (which at least had the benefit of being reasonably quick, if hideously unreliable). "Business capable" - pah! I am an IT Consultant working mostly with big corporates and not a single one has "upgraded" to Vista and almost none of them is seriously considering Windows 7 after the dog's breakfast that was Vista. Better luck next time Microsoft.

23. Kwac
    Gates Horns

Suburban Inmate

As I haven't used Windows since Windows 98, would you advise me how much shorter a period of time I would have to spend setting up a Vista box. Where would I find drivers, how do I set up RAID on Vista.

As you spent a whole 11 hours, and Windows is so much better in every way, can I plan on spending say, an hour?

BTW, I will have a full office system, and all that sort of thing installed during that time, won't I? I've heard that I'll also need something called 'malware'. How do i get hold of that?

24. Adrian Midgley

buying support: key point though

surely a key point here is that if you want support, you _don't_ have to pay Canonical!

You can pay anyone who is willing to take your money and do the job.

Canonical is probably a very good choice to pay, and understands Ubuntu deeply, but you have a choice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like