back to article Isle of Man e-bike trial loses racers

Will the Isle of Man TTxGP zero-emission motorcycle race, due to be run on 12 June, have more than two electric bikes on the starting line? Here's one that won't be there. Designed by long-time champion of feet-forward motorcycles, Royce Creasey, this 'leccy racer was created to take full advantage of the TTxGP's decision to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Looks shooped to me ...

That's not a "CGI mock-up", he clearly just cut and pasted his helmet onto a still from Tron 2.0!

2. Matt W
    Boffin

Where's the hydrogen crew

Have Intelligent Energy gone titsup ?

Hmmmmm - 'Unable to load this page'

3. Andy Silver badge

EV0-RR

Impressive looking indeed, but why is there a crankcase cover poking out of the fairing side?

-A.

4. Andrew Newstead

EVO pedigree

I saw this in the august pages of Motor Cycle News last week and they were quite bullish about it. One of the interesting aspects of the bike is that the frame is designed by Lotus and is based on the design they were offering for Super Bike in the nineties. This could be quite credible. The builders were certainly thowing the gauntlet down by stating they were out to win, not demonstrate!

I hope they compete, this is looking quite interesting!

Andrew Newstead

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

re. EV0-RR

It's not a crankcase cover, it's the battery compartment!

6. Richard Cartledge
    Thumb Down

What gobshite

Since when did generating electricity become zero emissions?

7. Dave
    Pirate

EVO-RR

The rear sprocket on the Evo is HUGE. Is the motor going to be turning at 40K rpm or does the bike max out at 25 MPH?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Local Heroes

An Isle of Man team is in on with a top rider.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/tt/Clean-mean-Manx-machine-for.5101670.jp

9. Scott Evil
    Thumb Down

leccy gp bikes

Do they produce the spine tingling goose bump raising uber exhaust notes like their fossil fuel driven cousins do?

It would make for poor spectatoing to see but not hear the bikes blast past you

zzzzzz

10. Tim

Oh well..

Although the idea was entirely laudable, holding a race for electric vehicles may be better on a course which is neither 37 miles long nor known as the mountain, at this stage of their evolution. My local cycle club holds its races on public roads (nice flat ones) and that would be a far more suitable place to get the technology out there & known amongst people. It would also encourage teams from local schools and individuals to have a go themselves, whereas a famously testing course in a fairly inaccessible location is probably the finest deterrent going.

So, how do I get Bernie E to sponsor the UK Electric Bike Road GP series?

Tim#3

11. fifi
    Thumb Up

Someone who will be there.

my mate Keith will be there

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/tt/Clean-mean-Manx-machine-for.5101670.jp

12. Steve Evans

@Andrew Newstead

I saw the same article, and the same thought occurs now... That was a frame designed for a conventional bike (and nobody took it then!), whereas a 'leccy bike has loads of those pesky heavy batteries. The picture shown looks incredibly nose forward weight wise, and I don't think I'd fancy trying to stop the thing in a hurry, especially on those bumpy Manx roads!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“That's motor racing.”

Errr.. no, that's drawing a picture on a computer. They're different activities.

14. Alistair
    Thumb Up

EVO-10000xAA

Seems odd to think that an electric battery powered race bike would look anything like a '90s superbike.

I much prefer the feet-forward bike!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Leccy Bikes...

Royce Creasey's design looks like something straight out of Speed Racer cartoons... (shivers in disgust)

On the other hand, the other bike looks promising. As someone noted, the ginormous sprocket on the back suggests this beast won´t have a too complex gearbox, improving both weight and efficiency. The lack of volume in the "tail" also suggests they have enough space for the batteries also.

Someone mentioned that leccy bikes won´t be pleasantly noisy, but if you enjoy slot racers' noises, you might like it, I guess!

16. jake Silver badge

The question remains ...

Do any of these things have the range to complete a full circuit at race speeds?

17. GremlinUK
    Thumb Up

Re. Oh well...

The original point of motor racing (2-wheel and 4-) was to challenge the inventors and manufacturers of the day to better their machines. What better challenge for electric motorbikes than a course that pushes the fossil fuel variety and their riders to the limit already. The 37 mile Mountain Circuit is perfect. Who cares if the first few bikes don't make it round. The same was the case when the TT began back in 1907. Better luck next year. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.