back to article Traumatised Tibetan monks offered singing bowl therapy

US healers from The Boston Center for Refugee Health and Human Rights (BCRHHR) have been looking at ways to treat traumatised Tibetan monks who've fled "violent religious persecution". The BCRHHR notes that many of these victims arrived in the US suffering from "symptoms of traumatic stress, interfering with their meditative …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. oxo
    Dead Vulture

No need

Is there any need to take the piss out of this?

2. Daniel Garcia
    Coat

"life-wind imbalance"?

Asilone Windcheaters will do the trick. (Flatulex for our USA patients)

3. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "life-wind imbalance"?

Do you know, it never occurred to me that someone might make that quip. Amazing!

4. Liam Johnson

Wind?

The surly some singing bowel therapy would be more suitable?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What does it matter what it's called?

>"Srog-rLung is characterised by "uncontrollable crying, worrying, excessive mental, physical or verbal activity and an unhappy mind"."

They've clearly identified the same condition and come up with a workable set of diagnostic criteria. If you don't recognize that someone's cultural background and beliefs provide an important part of their psychological framework with which you have to engage during therapy, you'd make a lousy doctor.

6. Seán

Gitmo is too good for them

These delusional terrorists should be tortured in Gitmo until they recant their insane babble. China freed Tibet from a senseless cult of ineffectual wheel worshipping primitives and these mindless thugs want to undo the benefits of civilisation and revert to a life of wasted ineffectual sloth. Religion is brain death, buddhism particularly so. If Steven Segal is a holy man in your cult you are on the wrong path.

7. ian
    Black Helicopters

@Seán

If China "freed" Tibet, then we've "freed" Iraq. Odd how the Tibetans and the Iraqis are such ungreatful gits.

And here come the gunships to liberate you!

8. Colin Barfoot

ying-yang

There's something in what Seán says. I'm not sure civilization has brought benefits as such: the lives we lead today are just different from those of yesteryear, but there's something revoltingly bourgeois about trying to escape modern society.

Since I've never met any Tibetans or Iraqis I couldn't really say how grateful any of them were for the change. In my experience it's usually a minority that holds extreme views and everybody else wants to get on with their sleep.

The Journal of Mental Health, Religion & Culture seems a mixed bag: sociology, theology and psychiatry. I can just imagine GP's inducing comas across the country by spouting twaddle from Durkheim and Levi-Strauss.

Or even better Baudrillard (a sort of French Victor Meldrew):

I don't believe it! You call those piles! That is the trouble with modern society nobody is inventing piles with style. They are always wanting the same piles.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Liberation

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/liberate-shit.jpg

This topic is closed for new posts.