back to article Polish Spitfire shoots down BNP

The British National Party has pulled off a bit of a blinder by fronting an anti-immigration campaign with a poster featuring a Spitfire belonging to 303 Squadron of the RAF - the "most effective Polish squadron during the Second World War", as the Telegraph puts it. The BNP poster showing Polish Spitfire A spokesperson at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

rice you say?

i'll do it for two bowls of rice, whats the job?

2. Mike
    Alien

That is so funny.

The BNP really are knobheads...

Aliens because due to wars invasions etc there is no such thing as non-aliens in the UK and i like it like that..

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I hate to say it but, the BNP does have a point.

Possibly they take it too far, but current immigration levels are far too high, and labour seem to be doing nothing, while the conservatives are probably not to be trusted either (as every single party seems to be trying to avoid alienating even a single voter) and of course, no point even listening to the lib dems as they have about as much chance of winning an election as there is a chance of me winning the lottery.

The threat from terrorism has not gone away either, and labour's incompetent handling is definitely not helping (they could at least deport the people with known and provable terrorist links who are living freely in the UK...)

4. Ste Mansfield
    Happy

Ha Ha

Pretty straightforward I think. The BNP should visit the job centre and see how many lazy b**tards stay on the dole rather than get a job. Migrants are only taking jobs that are available coz they don't want to do it. "Three bowls of rice a day" - I'm sure minimum wage is higher than that these days. Ignorance, pure ignorance. In a government where we are not allowed to smoke where we want to, we let these racists run for office. Stupid.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Well done

What a fantastically subtle campaign from the BNP: No need to overtly campaign for support amongst those disaffected by the influx of Polish workers when the mainstream media can be easily gulled into making the connection for them, and then giving it huge publicity.

There are thousands of Spitfire pictures lurking around the Internet - it's no coincidence they chose this one.

/What happened to the dead vulture icon?

6. Yorkshirepudding
    Flame

HA HA FAIL!

how dare these swines use what some would consider a symbol of freedom agaisnt the battle of tyranny!

ill bet R J Mitchel is spinning in his grave like a merlin on full chat. basterds!

7. lupine

oh what a bunch of

halfwits

8. Alien8n
    Paris Hilton

BNP's new stance?

"We needed the Poles in the second world war when times were tough and we need them now!"

How can they not see the irony of it all?

Paris, as she'd make a good Pole (dancer)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Got to ask..

Did the Polish pilots get paid less than the English pilots and are the BNP opposed to that too?

10. Pete

I for one

Don't believe they had the slightest clue it was a Polish squadron, the Spitfire is so iconicly "English" they just grabbed an image and went with it.

11. Dave Gregory
    Happy

Well said guys

Once more the BNP superbly demonstrate that they are in no way racist, or prone to gross sweeping generalisations, whilst simultaneously employing well reasoned highly intelligent arguments.

I know who I'm voting for!

12. Simon Langley

Another BNP classic

This is typical of the lack of thought that goes into everything the BNP does.

Perhaps it was supposed to illustrate how the Poles were enemies of the fascists and therefore likely to be enemies of the BNP as well. Oh no, how terrible.

However this is still topped by my favourite fascist shoots self in foot moment which was when David Irving, famous holocaust denier, inadvertantly addressed the judge in his libel trial (he was the plaintiff) as "Mein führer".

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

World Word II ...

wasn't the whole of World Word II a fight against right-wing nut jobs? A Messerschmitt 109 would be a more fitting symbol for the BNP.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ "I hate to say it but, the BNP does have a point"

Point or not, I will not stand by and watch a racist organisation become a viable political entity, and there are millions more like me.

15. Steve
    Thumb Up

Idiots

The membership of the BNP are idiots, that is why they cant get jobs, not because someone motivated enough to move country looking for work took it from them.

This cockup shows just how stupid the BNP are and how stupid they think their supporters are!

16. James Robertson
    Thumb Up

LOL! ROFL!

Ha! - and might I also add HA!!

They are even incompetent at being fascist thugs!!

17. Chris Williams
    Thumb Down

What would Churchill have made of it?

At the end of the War, Winston Churchill (himself only half British, as we all know) acknowledged that a debt was owed to the people of Poland for their part not only in the Battle of Britain but in signals intelligence, infantry and almost all other aspects of the war.

It was his wish that Poles people should be extended special treatment and offered UK citizenship, and be officially recognised for their contribution, but the powers that be (or the powers that were) gave them the same treatment as they latterly gave the Gurkhas, and so Poland has hardly been truly represented in memorials or honours lists, and the citizenship offer was never made.

It is thanks to the Poles that Britain got its hands on an Enigma machine right at the outbreak of war, a feat that was to tip the intelligence war in its favour and, as the article states, Polish pilots were renowned for their bravery and skill -- of all nations to pick on, surely one that made such a massive contribution to "keeping Britain British" (as opposed to an outpost of the Reich) shouldn't even be on the list?

A few years ago my neighbour was berating Eastern Europeans in general, for exactly the reason given by Simon Derby, yet his case in point was his own kitchen extension, which was being built by Poles because "they're less than half the cost of British labourers." Whilst considering himself to be a principled man, he totally failed to see any irony in his ability to spout bullshit principles that he himself could not be arsed to pursue.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

re: "I hate to say it but, the BNP does have a point"

"The threat from terrorism has not gone away either"

You sound like one of those New Labour loonies.

19. Andrew Newstead

Poland and Britain

At the risk of starting something...

Whatever your views about economic migration, Britain and Poland have a special connection that needs saying. Not only did Polish pilots fly for the RAF during WWII but Polish scientists provided the first analysis of the German Enigma code machine and passed this on to the Bletchley Park code breakers to give them a head start on the code breaking. A memorial to the Polish code breakers is at Bletchley, a small thing certainly but important to those of who know.

After the war Poland was badly treated by the carve-up of Europe by the Allied Powers and ended up part of the Soviet block, Many Poles feel this a betrayal on our part and I can't say I blame them.

Many Poles settled in this country after the war and I am pleased to say I know some of them,

I am proud of our links to the Polish people and the fact that we stood together against facism then and now.

Not at all anonymously!

Andrew Newstead

20. Chris
    Flame

Morons

Do you have to fail a special test to get into the BNP or do they just "let anyone in" ??

21. Fluffykins Silver badge

They like St George and his flag a lot as well

You know, the guy who was probably Turkish and who, likely, never set foot in England.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

The moral of the story?

The Poles were fighting for a free Poland, not us. Get it? What they got was the Jewish Bolshevik NKVD murdering their best in the Katyn Forest. The moral of the story is, " Allow your country to be taken over by alien races, at your peril."

23. Paul Johnston

@Anonymous Coward

>The threat from terrorism has not gone away either

Yes I am really scared of the possibility of Polish or Vietnamese terrorists

Incidentally I knew there were no Polish forces at the Victory Parade but never realised some were invited but turned it down!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pic source

And is the image stolen (or borrowed) from here?

http://www.skinbase.org/files/archive/shots/456/Division_303_Spitfire_1280x800.jpg

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hahaha!

Morons.

26. kaiserb_uk

Intentional?

Intentional or not (and I really suspect not) it makes them look very stupid and if anything should engender positive feelings towards the Polish who helped us defend our shores in the dark days of the BoB!

And here's the original image they nicked for their poster (makes a nice wallpaper):

http://www.skinbase.org/rate.php?skins=45665

27. Ross Fleming
    Coat

Shooting down the Poles

'The last major example of the Polish coming over here and taking our jobs was, as the Telegraph notes, during the aforementioned Battle of Britain when their pilots accounted for 203 Luftwaffe aircraft - roughly "12 per cent of total German losses".'

It would be very easy to read this as "Polish pilots were flying 203 Luftwaffe aircraft, but were rubbish and accounted for 12% of the total German losses" - unless that was their plan and they were all undercover agents.

28. Estariel
    Stop

@AC 13:18 "Point or Not"

AC: Point or not, I will not stand by and watch a racist organisation become a viable political entity, and there are millions more like me

....I deplore everything the BNP stands for. But you, A. Coward, are just as bad as them. You want to remove the democratic rights of a chunk of people, just because you dont like their views.

We should welcome all opinions to the democratic process, so that they can be weighed and found wanting.....

29. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Deciphering

Lots of interesting info about the BNP and its general incompetence here

http://lancasteruaf.blogspot.com/

and have a laugh at when it lost its membership list

http://lancasteruaf.blogspot.com/2008/11/breaking-news-entire-bnp-membership.html

(check out the comments)

30. Alan White

nonymouse

"The Poles were fighting for a free Poland, not us. Get it? What they got was the Jewish Bolshevik NKVD murdering their best in the Katyn Forest. The moral of the story is, " Allow your country to be taken over by alien races, at your peril.""

This is a pisstake, right?

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Morons

if you've half a mind to join the BNP. Don't worry, that's all you need

32. Dave

@Anonymous Coward 13:18

So, I take it that you will be opposing both Labour and Tory at the next election?

Not to mention the various local nationalist parties in all of the provinces?

I'm afraid I don't believe either side regarding this poster, or pretty much any political issue at the moment, but generally speaking banning things doesn't help, BNP included.

33. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Re Poland and Britain

By Andrew Newstead Posted Wednesday 4th March 2009 13:30 GMT.

Well said, Andrew, and some would tell you they are the Brains of Europe.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Fluffykins

Actually, they prefer the Union Jack. It's the British National Party, not the English National Party.

In case it matters, he is also the guy who was probably fictional in the first place too.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SIgh.

The BNP just don't get it.

If a Polish person is beating you to a job that reflects more on you than the Polish people. You have the advantage of living in this culture and with this language so instantly have a head start over any immigrant. If you then fail to get the job then lol @ you because you are a failure being unable to do better in an interview than someone you have an inherent advantage over.

What's more, the Polish seem a bloody hard working bunch so to attack them is laughable when you look at the trash we get in England by way of English cowboy plumbers and so on. Because they are so hard working they actually boost our economy more than a lot of native British/English workers.

If the BNP had a campaign to kick lazy people out the country then great, unfortunately that'd no doubt backfire and end up with half of them being kicked out themselves. Focussing on people because of their country of origin even though they have a better work ethic than many native workers is laughable though.

Of course, the Polish are just a small subset of immigrants, we often hear about the Pakistanis amongst which there is a rather sizeable group with strong anti-British sentiment but even here we should be focussing on dealing with them not based on race, but simply because that particular troublesome subset of Pakistanis are a bunch of idiotic dicks. The rest that work hard and treat others with respect should be more than welcome to stay.

36. fran
    Thumb Up

Epic FAIL

what a bunch of knuckleheads

37. Mountford D

Ever been to Poland?

Having Polish relatives in-law, I can vouch for the fact that Poland is certainly on par, if not ahead of Britain in terms of living standards. Since escaping the clutches of the Soviet Union, Poland has leaped-frog beyond recognition and has an economy and society based on the British model but that isn't saddled by debt, and a population that is kind, helpful, generous and honest. English is widely spoken.

Northern Poland looks like a cross between Britain and Swtzerland, still full of forests and lakes where daily life is safe and friendly. The thriving streets are as familiar as any British city/town except that they are clean and free of hoodies and drunks. And best of all, the trains run on time and do not resemble cattle-trucks.

I for one would welcome my Polish overlords (you could say I already have one) and would move over there without hesitation. The downside? The weather. -20 and lower in the winter is really quite unpleasant, which is, I reckon why the Poles are queueing up to come to Britain!

38. frymaster

@AC 12:56

"current immigration levels are far too high"

which has sod all to do with most of the Polish in this country. Migrant workers =/= immigrants. And where I live, recession or no, most of the local chavs turn their noses up at the jobs the Polish end up getting. All other things being equal, a local applicant has a better chance than a Polish applicant, simply because you don't have to hone up their language skills. Yet many jobs are taken by Polish. What does that tell you? That no quality local applicants exist.

The Polish come over here when they're young, pay taxes, rent houses, spend money in our shops and bars, and bugger off home when they get older, meaning they don't cost the NHS much, if any, money. Seems like a good deal to me

39. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I wish people would learn....

The BNP is LEFT wing not Right wing, so it would make them Communists not Fascist.

Ok when you put them side by side there are basically the same, Forced Labour Camps, Tight Gun Controls, Nab you in the night Police States and a general Genocied of your minority populations. And this is because these are Authoritarian states rather than Libertarian states which we laughably think we live in.

*\. Left Arm in the Left Arm and Right Arm in the Right Arm, otherwise I'd be wearing it backwards.

40. Alien8n
    Thumb Down

One of the issues

Is actually the fact that the Poles WILL move to another country for work. Here they won't even move to another town, never mind another country. However, the government doesn't make it easy to move. Try getting on a council house list in another region, you can't as you're already considered to be housed, despite the job you're applying for being 100 miles away from where you currently live.

41. Jacqui

20UKP per DAY

Polish builders earn 20UKP per day in this country. At least those who did work for a bunch

of landlords in High Wycombe were getting this rate.

My hubs recently took on a fixed fee garden renovation job and ended up getting 65UKP for 4

days work. I have told him he is not doing that again - by the time he pays for food, diesel etc he risked making a loss.

So, there is work out there for the brits but only if they are prepared to work for less than 20/day.

Likewise the hotel in the thames valley area are hiring cleaners - at a fixed rate per room.

You end up again getting less than 10UKP for an 8 to 10 hour shift - with 3UKP coming off

for travel expenses.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@anon 13:18

You could consider labour a 'racist organisation' for discriminating against their own people and giving special privileges to any extremist who comes into the UK with the intention of turning it into a muslim nation while discriminating against people for no other reason than their being white and middle class, instead of happening to be an immigrant.

Racism works both ways, the UK isn't Iran.

43. Paul

@Steve - jobs

Steve:"The membership of the BNP are idiots, that is why they cant get jobs"

You should worry about the ones that did manage to get jobs, in the police, in government, in any position they can grab all that data our authoritarian government is determined to grab from us. They aren't all bumbling fools.

One of the most compelling arguments against the Orwellian world labour are building is who might get access. A timely reminder that its not just the nightmare of thugs like the BNP achieving power sometime in the future to worry about, its also their existing infestation of positions with the power to abuse.

44. Richard
    Coat

If the BNP want to show the Poles what it's like

Why don't they all go over to Poland?

It would be interesting to see if their Polish equivalents are harder working on the authoritarian front.

45. Don Sinclair

BNP & Poles

as an ardent monitor of the BNP activities I can also disclose that, on more than one occassion I have witnessed (all be it covertly, disguised as a bull dog) senior BNP members attending Polish oriented entertainment in the form of POLE DANCING.

Aparrently, during a recent visit to his favourite 'watering hole' the aptly named Vladimir & Firkin a senior BNP official noted a tatoo on the inner thigh of his favourite dancer - Natasha Koplenskinoff. The tatoo read 'slippery ven vet', which as any fluent Polish speaker will tell you roughly translates into; God bless the motherland, Warsaw general hospital and the Polish deli on Oldham out-door market.

When challenged the official stated 'its not that we are against Polish people persay it's just that, well....you know - hey look at that really interesting thing over there!'

46. Elmer Phud
    Happy

DNA test (ffs)

O.K. just to settle the arguments.

Every person in the U.K. is to be DNA tested. If there is a group of people with pure English DNA then the rest of us can bugger off to where we came from.

Which would mean that most of Blighty would be empty and Africa and all-those -places-ending-in 'stan' will be packed full. There will still be pockets of argumentative Cornish and the like but nothing else.

47. Phil the Geek

Anorak time

The Spitfire in the photo is still flying and is operated by the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight. It flew in the front line operations in the war and destroyed a German bomber. Later in its life it was involved in a famous incident when it accidentally took off with a ground crew member sitting on the tail - she hung on and was unharmed.

I'm very pleased that the plane has been preserved in Polish colours.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/spitfireab910.cfm

/Anorak

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: the Muslim nation comments

Are you lot for real?

Anyone who thinks Britain is even slightly in danger of turning into a Muslim* nation really needs to get out more.

Also, regarding the comment:

"Point or not, I will not stand by and watch a racist organisation become a viable political entity, and there are millions more like me."

I don't see how this can be reasonably interpreted as an intention to ban the BNP or remove their democratic rights. The best way to combat the BNP is to raise awareness of exactly what they stand for so they have less chance to fool the gullible and then vote against them whenever they stand at elections.

*What would be the problem if Britain was turned into a Muslim nation anyway?

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

perhaps

Its a coincidence but the those Telegraph quotes "most effective Polish squadron during the Second World War" and "because no other Polish units were invited" are the exact phrases that can be found on the wikipedia entry for No. 303 Polish Fighter Squadron.

there! an IT angle! Huzzah and Tally-ho

50. Sam

Talking of idiots...

Look at all the poor spelling in the posts slagging the BNP.

The mugs have also swallowed the BBC/ dead tree press line that they are "right wing".

They are in fact national socialists.

Sheeple.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.