back to article Miley Cyrus hacker in MySpace spam ringtone scam

A teenager already suspected of breaking into the Gmail account of actress Miley Cyrus and swiping candid pictures also hacked into MySpace profiles of other celebrities. Suspected hacker Josh Holly, 19, also allegedly broke into the online accounts of music stars including Rihanna, Chris Brown, Linkin Park and Fall Out Boy, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

And nothing of value happened

Rihanna? Linkin Park? Fall Out Boy?

I don't even know who Chris Brown is...

Next time compromise the account of someone famous and/or interesting. Like say, Sarah Palin.

2. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: And nothing of value happened

What, really? Rihanna and Chris Brown are probably two of the most recognisable people of the last month for anyone who glances at newspapers at all. They are massively successful US R'n'B singers, and a couple, or they were until the latter allegedly beat the living shit out of the former a couple of weeks ago. A scumbag gossip site published what are apparently police evidence pics.

While I'm here... Linkin Park are perhaps the sole survivors of the 'nu-metal' fad of the early 2000s, led by the woeful and unlamented Limp Bizkit. Their fusion of boyband set-up with light pop-metal music has proved surprisingly enduring. They're generally not unlistenable.

Fall Out Boy are an endearing/irritating emo band with more than one really excellent tune. Their pretty-boy bassist is married to Ashlee Simpson.

Ashlee Simpson is a US pop star and the sister of Jessica Simpson.

Jessica Simpson is a US pop star who has been cruelly lampooned for her weight gain in recent weeks.

Weight gain is what happens when pop stars stop killing themselves in the gym 8 hours a day, have a burger and kick back.

Burgers are meat in a bun with lettuce and sometimes cheese.

Always happy to help.

3. John Macintyre
    Joke

@Sarah Bee

lettuce? Cheese? Happy?

I don't even know what a bun is

Next time use some real and/or interesting food reference. Like say, Pot Noodle.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Sarah Bee

That post almost makes up for your letting the Israel trolls through. One more like that and we'll call it even - well played.

5. Tom

Sorry Sarah, AC's post is a righteous snark

None of the people hacked on My Space are likely to have any substantial impact on world events. But since you are in such a touchy mood today, I'll save my snark, which would have been aimed at the miscreants who hacked the accounts instead of a poster on the site, for another time.

6. Dave The Cardboard Box

Social engineering???

Come on Reg, when did you turn into Newspeak hacks? The guy was conned. Even geeks get conned.

7. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Sorry Sarah, AC's post is a righteous snark

Touchy? Who's touchy? Huh? I was *amused* at the fact that someone didn't know who Rihanna was at the present time. I'm not sure what the point about 'world events' is. Doesn't mean it's entirely insignificant, does it? It means something to some people. Just not that one.

Look, see, now I am touchy. See what you've done? Feh on you, Tom. Feh, I say.

8. Stuart Reid
    Flame

Limp Bizkit?

Since when is Limp Bizkit in Linkin Park?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

@sarah

Actually, I do know who Rihanna is, just not Chris Brown, and I know the other bands, I just do not view them as either good or important... I read the news recently, I just don't find stories about celebrities that interesting. Tom is correct about it not influencing world events, especially when it is Myspace related.

10. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Limp Bizkit?

The sub-genre of nu-metal was led by Limp Bizkit. Grammar blip?

11. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @sarah

So, you don't think they're good or important or interesting or significant. All of that is fair enough, but it does make me wonder why you read the story, and were roused to comment on it. But then I generally don't get the 'I don't get why this is a story' school of commenting anyway.

Ho hum. Nearly hometime.

12. Mike Flugennock
    Paris Hilton

@ the Moderatrix, re: nothing of value happening

Not to provoke any flamage or anything from you, but... I'd also not heard of Chris Brown or Rihanna, at least not until the former beat up the latter, and then only because I was accidentally near my wife's TV set while it was turned on and tuned into a "news" program spewing nonstop drivel about Chris Brown Beating Up Rihanna, and the latest bulletins on the Berserk Chimp and the Octuplets Mom. I'm afraid I'm not one of those standard-issue Americans who's totally up on that celebrity bullshit because they spend every possible waking hour in front of the TV. I only know about Linkin Park and Fallout Boy because they're rubbed in my face on those rare occasions that I dare enter a record shop in the slight hope of replacing my ancient vinyl copies of "Hendrix In The West" and "Slade Alive".

I quit watching TV and listening to the radio with any regularity nearly thirty years ago because even then, US TV and radio were totally going to shit, and so am totally not up to speed on any mass-media celebrity culture at all.

So, while this kid's continued hacking of MySpam...uh, MySpace is an important bit of news as far as IT/legal issues go, the fact that he's hacked the accounts of cookie-cutter dime-a-dozen celebrities elicits a reaction of "eh, big deal" from me.

I mean, it's not like they're Pink Floyd, or anything.

Paris, because I'm also sick to goddamn' death of seeing _her_ every time I turn on my goddamn' TV.

13. David Eddleman

Free Trainreq

And lynch the dumbass admin who fell for this.

14. Chris iverson

@Sarah

Well played Sarah. You have brightened my day ever so slightly

15. Maty

I'm impressed

In ancient Athens those found guilty of a crime could propose their own punishment and the prosecution their own (presumably harsher) option, and the jury voted on their preference.

Socrates on being found guilty proposed that he be given free meals for life, so it seems that our teen hacker is following in his footsteps. Perhaps the lad reads Xenophon in his spare time?

16. Bounty

no no no

The interesting bit is that he chose those accounts to hack, as he thought they had the best chance of making spam money from them. So it's either because of popularity, or perceived gullibility etc. This guy was trying to make money, not a point.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mike Flugennock

We get it. You're much smarter than other Americans, and it's very important that we understand that you're also too smart to enjoy pretty much any form of entertainment - or, for that matter, too damned cool to enjoy pretty much anything whatsoever.

You are very, very smart, and very, very cool. And smart. Not dumb, like the other Americans who watch TV. But smart.

And not like the other Americans. Very different. Totally different, in fact. It's amazing you even qualify as an American you're so smart! Back in YOUR day, pop music wasn't pop music, and was real music, not pop music, and it was good, not bad. You listen to GOOD bands, and not on any of that newfangled shiny plastic crap, either. Not like these kids with their compact discs and electronic doohikawhats.

No, sirree. And that whiny whippersnapper at the record store thinks this new noisy trash is music. You can't even understand the lyrics!

Yes. You're not like the other Americans. Not at all. Not dumb - smart.

18. Steve Swann
    Joke

Rianna? RnB?

Oh yeah, Rianna. She's the one that gets rich by simply mispronouncing "umbrella" as "umberella" isn't she? Idiot girl!

...and RnB? Isn't that Rhythm and Blues? damned sure that the generic garbage labelled as RnB is neither Rhythmic nor Bluesy....

...now...back in MY day..... *snore*.....

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eh?

@Dave: I find it hard to blame anybody who finds watching television an inefficient way to learn the news. And how does "totally not up to speed on any mass-media celebrity culture at all" turn into "too smart to enjoy pretty much any form of entertainment"? Maybe the man has found the last coffee house in the US where up-and-coming folkies sing through a haze of cigarette smoke. Better him than me if so, but I hope that Rihanna Montana isn't the be-all and end-all of entertainment.

@Sara: Is nu-metal what you make pi tins out of?

@generally: Perhaps the boy could be employed in explaining to the celebrities that they can afford to pay for an email account, that they don't really have to use gmail.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like