back to article MI5 to get unmanned 'manned unmanned' robo spyplanes?

In a confusing tech-pendulum backswing, it has now emerged that so-called "manned unmanned" spy aircraft are now able to operate without a crew. Yes, that's right: the unmanned manned unmanned robotic surveillance plane has arrived. The new developments emerged yesterday at the Counter Terror Expo in London, where the world's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So

a pilot flies from UK to Iraq with a bunch of passengers. Lands in Iraq, leaves the cockpit and switches on the 'remote control' switch. The passengers are all still in the rear whilst the plane then takes off . Right ?

The unmanned option was to reduce casulties which aren't popular back home. How will killing a bunch of analysts be more PC than killing 1 pilot ?

Paris - even she seems intelliegent compared to this idea.

2. Joe Harrison

Are they daft or what!

So let me get this straight they have these unmanned expendable planes which are well capable of taking the necessary pictures. But they don't have the satellite bandwidth to transmit back the imagery so the human analyst obligingly climbs into the back seat. Of a plane flown by a bot. Where do they get people this crazy?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

aeroplane..

isn't that a babyfood delivery mechanism?

4. Martin Lyne

To mix and match

They could put the analysts in the back, but still fly it by remote.

Choose analysts you don't like.

Choose a pilot who likes stunts.

You save on upstream sat stuff anyway. And it's funny.

I don't actually have anything of substance to contribute, sorry.

5. Eddy Ito
    Black Helicopters

The wheels on the bus???

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to built an aerobotnet? They could make a bunch of small relay aerobots, like a satellite only not quite so high and expensive, such that one was always "visible" to the spy aerobot. Heck, they could switch relays like mobile phone towers as the spybot crossed ranges or you could chain them together to get greater range out of them or put an analyst on every other relay to handle multiple 'bots or fly them around in a giant loop for a nice big circle jerk. The relays could be tiny black helicopters like the one in the icon, how cute would that be? Come on spy guy, you know you want it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Radical

Well I am glad to see my thousands in taxes isn't getting wasted.

Only last night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking, shit, we need a manned unmanned surveilance system to tell us what all those goddamn crazy raghead nutjobs out there are up to.

Actually i didnt. I woke up and had a chocolate digestive and a cup of tea. However thank god my country employs idiots to do that kindof thinking for me.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@So...

Analysts are 10 a penny.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Come the uprising...

...it will be the fleshie having to fly the plane while the machine enjoys a few rounds of solitaire!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like