back to article Swindon embraces 4th generation

Motorola, the bit that makes money selling networks rather than the handset division that loses money making phones, has been testing 4th generation networks in Swindon, demonstrating calls over Long Term Evolution (LTE) connections. The Swindon-based lab demonstrated voice calls and data streaming using the LTE standard, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tim

Swindon?

Isn't that where Cable & Wireless are based. Spooky eh.

On a different note, howcome this story

http://www.silicon.com/publicsector/0,3800010403,39391135,00.htm

hasn't appeared yet... saving it for the Playmobil?

2. Rob
    Stop

swindon, really?

i actually live in swindon, and based on my knowledge of the place i am very dubious regarding the accuracy of this story, maybe it's actually taking place in one of the smaller villages or industrial parks just outside swindon?

-based on the fact that swindon's main features are the magic roundabout, and the steam museum, a veritable cultural and technological marvel </hint of sarcasm>

3. pctechxp

'ere we go again

Sounds like recycled 3G PR shit to me.

Remember how it was going to revolutionise the market but never did, then came 3.5G which people only bought into when they made data cheap as chips but again that old chestnut (you can have 3.6/7.6/14.4 Mbps only if noone else in the radius is using it.

Blah Blah Blah.

Time they changed their tune and stopped making ridiculous claims, least if I buy 3.4GHz CPU I know I'll get one that works around that speed, not under optimum conditions.

4. Steve
    Thumb Down

Power consumption

I hope they thought about handset power consumption this time... Prolly not eh?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Re: swindon, really?

Perhaps dubious Rob forgets the rather large Motorola plant alongside the A419 in north Swindon? Seems as good a place to test this as any.

6. Thandar

Rob : re Mororola

The Mororola is the huge silver building that stands over Abbey Meads, at the top of the hill by the A417, it's an amazing looking structure

7. Alex

location?

also currently residing within the Peoples Republic Of Swindon, may I allude that it is being trailed at the Science Museum (Wroughton) as this was the test bed for Intels WiMax trial?

8. AB
    Paris Hilton

@Alex

Alex wrote:

> may I allude that it is being trailed at the Science Museum

Writing from Pedant's Corner, I feel compelled to point out that you might assume, surmise or possibly even infer (implicitly from the article) that the trial is taking place at the Science Museum (Wroughton) but you may not allude.

Paris because she's been the subject of many allude comment...

9. Tawakalna

City of the Future...

You just don't associate such an appellation with... Swindon, do you?

10. Darren Bell
    Thumb Up

If it's good enough for Bond.....

then it's good enough for 4G :)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@AB @Tawakalna

@AB

"Paris because she's been the subject of many allude comment..."

genius! (that more than excuses the pedantry)

@Tawakalna

"City of the Future...

You just don't associate such an appellation with... Swindon, do you?"

No, not just because it's actually a town but also because it's a tawdry, dull one too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like