back to article Wikimedia taps mystery sugardaddy for advisory board

The Wikimedia Foundation has named its conspicuously controversial sugardaddy to its board of advisors. This morning, the non-for-profit behind Wikipedia announced the appointment of Roger McNamee, the man who runs Elevation Partners, a San Francisco-based venture capital firm whose partners include U2 frontman Bono. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rich
    Coat

Plenty of pros around

In a typical 5* Mexican hotel..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'm probably not the first to notice but...

...Bono is an anagram of "O nob".

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Munny

I noticed during Wikipedia's recent begging round that the donation total seemed to stall at about $3.6m for ages, and then POOF in the space of a week or so the total doubled. The press seem to attribute this to a personal appeal from Jimmy Wales; but if I had $3m lying about I would not give it to a man called Jimmy (Carter excepted) no matter how personal his appeal. I wonder which individual or foundation donated the $3m?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Fundraising for a .... Fundraising team.

Some of the rather strange budget allocations seem to be making more sense now..

From http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/4/41/FY_2008_09_Annual_Plan.PDF p13

'Establishment of new fundraising team $510,000'

So nearly 10% of the money raised is being spent to raise money... This is over 1/2 as much the entire actual technology budget for last year (07-08). The only thing wikipedia really needs is the technology, its awash with volunteers for the other stuff, but unfortunately the 'professionals' seem to want in on the act.

This topic is closed for new posts.