back to article LG confirms 2009 launch for 3G wristphone

Watches that let you make voice and video calls sound like something from a James Bond movie. Or an LG catalogue. The Korean electronics giant has a wristwatch phone in the works and yesterday confirmed it is launching the high-tech timepiece at some unspecified time this year. LG_Watch_04 LG's GD910 phone/video watch Woo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Dore
    Thumb Up

I want one...

Now where's my damned flying car?

2. Riscyrich
    Thumb Up

Need it.....

..... want it !

Mine, mine, mine !

3. Wize

I'd want one but...

at the moment I have a watch with a mineral glass screen (or whatever you call the scratch resistant screens) as watches dont last long before I give them a nasty big scratch on the screen.

Theres something for the geek watch manufacturers, how about something more rugged? I had to buy this one in America as Casio still don't sell it over here.

4. jonathan

So..

Is this considered hands free for driving?

5. OrsonX
    IT Angle

finger in ear?

OK, so you speak into it strapped to your wrist, but how do you hear what the person at the other end says???

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Heart

Dear LG.

No doubt you are now conducting market research to find the correct price point and signing up resellers.

Don't bother. You'll sell every one of these you can make, even if they're priced to be hand assembled by Tibetan nuns from rocking horse shit placed in an unobtanium casing and only sold through one online outlet in Baghdad.

Hmm, drool has the same effect on keyboards as coffee. Who knew?

7. Nursing A Semi
    Happy

Clasp?

Is it just me that thinks the clasp looks like it will be really uncomfortable?

Good job the talk time is so low, means you get to remove the nasty metal pointy things every two hours and give your wrist a rest.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

Think I'll stick with the Rolex for a while longer yet...

9. Yorkshirepudding
    Coat

indeed

nothing says 'mug me' more than a spangley video watch...

mines the one with the starfleet flip communicator in

10. David Hicks
    Happy

Sounds great

But a quick websearch reveals a variety of ugly and not-so-ugly phone watches that are already on sale from smaller brands in the far east.

I wish we got all the asian junk-tech over here. It's cheap and unreliable, but great fun...

11. DevonHammer
    Thumb Down

An inch thick?

At less than an inch thick and 84g why not just velcro a Nokia to your wrist?

12. Chris

Hmm...I see this being banned from planes

Does this mean you will have to turn off your watch on an airplane then?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to dump that Rolex?

WTF? dump my Explorer for a piece of plastic shit like that? not a chance.

14. Hate2Register

2 HOURS talktime!!!

Wow with 2 whole hours talktime, I'll be able to get halfway to town, or have one conversation with my gf, before having to go home to recharge. What will they think of next? USB powered phones? Oh God.

15. Nursing A Semi
    Alien

@OrsonX

I think it will be a speaker phone, now you will be able to hear someone shouting "where are you" and well as the reply "I am on the train"!

16. Andy Watt
    Thumb Down

RF absorbency testing?

Hmmm. Take 2.X Ghz, stand far enough away from a base station that your watch has to shout a little (not too much, mind, or you'll bring the cell down) and you've got a microwave next to your skin.

Antenna design? It'd better be bloody miraculous to get anything useful.

This is a pisspoor idea and I'm sure that, although blingy in the extreme, it will be at the bottom of the wardrobe once you realise how useless it actually is.

17. Do Not Fold Spindle Mutilate
    Paris Hilton

Video wrist phone: Nose pics

The person receiving the video call from a wrist video phone will see right up your nostrils. What a great picture. Remember to pick your nose before calling.

Paris gets a Brazilian cut for her nose hairs.

18. Jim
    Thumb Up

James Bond?

Dick Tracey had them before James Bond. It's a start, just think in another year or two they will be thinner, and smaller. Just the opposite of me...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

I'm not sure people need a camera phone on their wrist....

After all, think of all the places your hands go during a day!

A call during a bathroom break could traumatize someone on the other end....

20. Gerhard Fasol
    Thumb Up

DoCoMo had a wristphone "Wristomo" in 2003

DoCoMo used to sell a wristphone called "Wristomo" back in 2003. However, it was a PHS phone, not 3G. As far as I remember DoCoMo also had a 3G wristphone at the Nagano Olympics but never offered it for general sale.

We have pictures of Wristomo on our blog entry from a trade show in Tokyo back in 2003:

http://eurotechnology.com/blog/2003/07/wireless-japan-2003-exhibition-tokyo.html

There never was another Wristomo phone, so I guess there wasn't much more than a niche demand. The problem I guess is that you really have to take the wristphone off your wrist to phone or send messages, or do mobile internet stuff like booking airline tickets, defeating the purpose to some extent. If the demand would have been huge and continuing - we would still have lots of Wristomos in Japan now.

Gerhard

http://www.eurotechnology.com

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Dump My Rolex????

No chance I dump my 20 year old GMT Master, Its the only watch to have survived the brutal demands of being a sound recordist, ( Not dumping my 'sub' or my vintage oyster or my..........Oh Sorry)

Mines the one with the Daytona in the pock........Oh it's your coat, sorry!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like