back to article AMD spins dual-core Phenom Cartwheel

AMD has unveiled two new dual-core Athlons intended for low-cost home PCs. On Monday, the beleaguered chip manufacturer rolled out what it's calling the 2.5GHz Athlon X2 7550 and the 2.7GHz Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition. Previously, dual-core Athlons used AMD's aging K8 microprocessor design, but these chips benefit from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave
    Stop

The great chip shop dichotomy

I hear that these are in fact 4 core chips with 2 defunct cores turned off.

So effectively a Phenom X4^h3^h2

Is this down to yield being poor? or is this AMD trying to get rid of old 65nm parts before they introduce 4 core 45nm chips?

Either way, I think this shows how the chip manufactures are now serving the general PC user as a secondary concern.

It's pretty easy to see by looking at the metrics that the general public would get more benefit from a purpose designed higher speed 2 core chip (e.g. the now somewhat dated Core 2 Duo).

Meanwhile, the chip giants seem intent on forcing reduced cache multi core server parts at us whilst sidestepping questions about who really needs 8 concurrently executing threads.

Up until now, the majority of people buying new chips that are faster than their previous system. Soon though, Core 2 Duo users running at >3Ghz are going to be looking for a new I7 system and finding that they will have to pay upwards of 1k$ for the CPU just to get processor parity for single or dual threaded operation.

Will you pay for that?

2. Spencer Davies
    IT Angle

Interesting

My family is pretty much split down the line when it comes to what powers it with the processor..mine is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Black Edition whilst my parents is a Celeron Dual Core (Core 2 chip, but with lower cache and the Celeron name"

I will be upgrading to a phenom at some stage next year, So i will be very interested to see how this pans out.

AMD need something to get back into the market.

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Smart move?

Face it, everyone is happilly saving themselves into a recession, not many people are spalshing out on killer home systems, so having a budget part that still offers excellent perfromance for 95% of home users is a good thing, and if it uses up otherwise defunct chips then it saves money for AMD as well. If I was AMD, my worry would be that this may take sales from the newer CPUs as cash-strapped punters look for a bargain option

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like