back to article Batman sues Batman over Batman

The mayor of Batman, Turkey, is suing Warner Bros. and The Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan for using the Cape Crusader's name without the city's permission. Variety reports Huseyin Kalkan, mayor of the predominantly Kurdish town located in the Batman province of Turkey on the Batman River, is preparing to file a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

No wait...

I'm Batman...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

~blinks~

... Goes back and reads the story again. ~blinks~ Umm ok, I think they win the prize for the most obvious money/publicity grab disguised as a law suit ever.

Mine's the one with cape and utility belt in the pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Melbourne Claim

Maybe Melbourne has a claim? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Batman

4. TJ
    IT Angle

Free Advertising...

Someone should tell this guy free advertising is a good thing. I hope he can prove his city existed before the 1960's when "Batman" became a WB trademark. I'm not sure if the actual comic was before that or after that.

5. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Too little, too late...

As Hoover, Kleenex, and others found out, if you haven't defended your trademark in the past seventy years, it's too late to start now.

OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if Warners, in a gesture of international chumship doesn't offer them a community recreation center or something as a thank you for keeping their property in the news and potentially boosting DVD sales -- what with the holidays coming up, and all!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I was Monty's batman

They can go fly!

Mine's the one with the daytime TV "How to earn millions from IP" in the pocket.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

batman?

so batman is suing batman for using the name batman? but was batman the original name of batman or is batman just the english translation of batman and is it just a coincidence that batman sounds like batman? Also the people of batman claim there is only one batman...then how the fuck do they explain val kilmer? or keaton, bale or clooney? answer me that morons!

Where the founding fathers of batman a bat and a man? did they copulate? i think we should be told.

Oh, and WB here is some free legal advice (which im not remotely qualified to give!), tell those fucktards in batman wher they can shove their lawsuit over the name of batman. Also send them Val kilmers head in a box, that should pacify them.

8. James O'Brien
    Coat

@TJ

Umm yes it did exist before that...early 1939 IIRC

On a side note the real Clark Kent proved he couldnt stop bullets (that was kinda messy) and has since issued suit against DC for making him grow up without friends or a woman and making him believe he could do that. He is suing for medical pain and suffering as well as negligence. Looking for <dr evil voice> 1 BILLION DOLLARS </dr evil voice>

Oh I will enjoy following this one.

/mines the one with the cowl with long cap attached

9. s. pam Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Biff! Kapow! Bang! Zop!

Holy batshite Batman, they've found the hidden Batcave. Alfred, time to pickup sticks and move on.......

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

What, are you stupid?

Are you retarded or something? I'M the god-damn Batman!

11. G
    Stop

Melbourne, Australia

They didn't teach us much in school about our history but I'm fairly certain that a chap called John Batman found or founded Melbourne. At one stage the name Batmania was considered. Why it never got chosen I don't know.

Oh and there's a railway station called Batman too. I was very disappointed as a child to find out it was just a station. I'd imagined all kinds of subterranial things!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Holy mackeral batman!

best crack out the bat-visa in that case

13. Rob

Lets...

Let's play a game!

It's called "Look through the comments section and point out all the people who didn't read the full article before commenting!"

I'm looking at you, 1939...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@No Wait AC

I'm Batman and so is my wife.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Their's isn't the only Batman...

There is a Batman in Uzbekistan and a Båtman in Finland.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So...

Can I sue every single lawyer in the US for abusing my surname?

17. Mike

Hmmm

Well according the Wiki fountain of Truth, "Batman" is a shortened form of "Bati Raman", the name of a mountain range surrounding said province/town. In Kurdish it is known as Elih or Iluh, so Batman is clearly not the native name for the place.

I think if he wanted to sue, as stated in the article, it should have surfaced when "The Bat Man" became Batman in the corny 60s series, not now. This is a blatant act of desperate cashing in and trying to get free publicity for the area.

The people of Gotham, Nottinghamshire have much to learn.

Now jog on, Turkish straw-grabbers

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Turkish meaning

you can check the meaning of "batman" here: http://www.seslisozluk.com/?word=batman

I'm a turk, and as far as I know, Batman is founded at 1950's as a province, before that, it was a village (or smthg like that). How it was developed that fast is related to petroleum veins found.

Fortunately, US did not try to "bring democracy" to Batman, yet. :P

19. Tim Rogers
    Coat

Is the mayor of New York getting in on this?

Just think: they could get DOUBLE royalties out of the late Frank Sinatra!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Related articles

Disappointed not to see a link to the Carpet Munchers story.

21. MacroRodent
    Thumb Down

Justice

Wasn't WB the production company that harassed a little girl for running a Harry Potter fan site? They richly deserve all IP related legal trouble they get, although I'm afraid this won't fly very far in any sane court. Trademark law allows similar names for totally different things, like a small town and a movie superhero.

22. Whitter
    Boffin

Silly season eh?

Perhaps we brits should sue the town of Batman for missappropriating a military title?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/batman

23. richard tanswell
    Coat

Time for change

If the courts uphold the decision and force WB to change the name, I think that we may end up with a whole new batch of films....

Battyman Begins - this film depicts Battyman's early years and how he grew to like Dick......Grayson

Battyman and Robin (title pending claim from red breasted bird) - Battyman's flick with his sidekick. Also know as when Bruce met Dick

Battyman - The Dark Night - Battyman descends on Soho discovery some very strange, dark alleyways.....His main arch-rival in this film is "The Poker"....played by Brokeback Mountain star Heath Ledger!

Mine's the one with the the Batbelt round the waist!

24. Richard
    Joke

What's their problem?

Batman fights crime. They have unsolved murders and girls committing suicide.

Now, if the town was called "Joker" I might understand their point.

(The icon is missing an R here ;)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Coming up...

Austin sues Austin over Austin?

26. Havin_it
    Go

They need to join forces with

...the Lesbians (citizens of Lesbos, that is) and launch a collective legal offensive against the 20th Century and all its various crimes against language. Perhaps some original Angry Pirates will also 'come aboard'; the acts committed in *their* name in recent years are even more horrific...

And then you can immortalise the epic struggle in Playmobil. Go!

27. Brian
    Coat

I love the Leader!!

I hope Leader in SK, Canada doesn't get wind of this, otherwise the writers of The Simpsons are screwed

28. Loki
    Happy

Turkish pipes

Holy Turkish pipe batman! Thats some good shit theyve been smoking!

Think this is easy to get thrown out though. The Turkish alphabet is slightly different from the latin one used in the west and also has different sounds.

Therefore according to wikipedia (may i be damned for eternity for citing wikipedia!) Batman would sound like: Butmun. Also not having the exact same alphabet you can argue that it is not the same word, otherwise if there was a town in Russia called Батман the same case could be argued.

What next? Sheffield in the UK suing Sheffield in the USA for having the same name?

BTW: IANAL, IANA Turk, IAN Batman

29. Joe K
    Thumb Down

Oh to be a lawyer

....the one truly recession resistant profession.

30. Markie Dussard
    Stop

As quick as a flash ...

So, after nearly 70 years of the comic, 40 years after at least one TV series (I'm not sure if there weren't earlier efforts), after at least 7 cinematic releases (not counting the Saturday morning serials) the town of Batman suddenly feels badly used? Just checked and I'm afraid my heart is not bleeding for them.

I'd tell them to stick their fucking lawsuit where the sun doesn't shine - except I'd probably need a license from a small village in Austria to do that. And Terry Pratchett.

31. Giles Jones Gold badge

What?

Since when was the name of a city or town a legally registered worldwide trademark?

It's got to be a publicity stunt to get tourism.

32. Michael Chester

Surely....

Just build the next theme park there, how much better free publicity could there be?

33. drunk.smile
    Stop

@Melbourne Claim

I do hope that people make up this shite on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(mass)

'A batman... It is equivalent to 1000 pood'

The pood article then contains the glorious quote:

'An old Russian proverb reads, "You never know a man until you have eaten a pood of salt with him." '

I'm going back to my SQL it's safer.

34. Fab De Marco
    Joke

Madness??? THIS.... IS..... SPARTA!!!!!! No wait.. It's Gotham City

Absolute madness! And not the Baggy Trousers kind! If they want to claim royalties don't they have to prove that the film was made successful thanks to the city existing before the film. Or that they are in any way responsible for the revenue generated by the hit films and comic Books and merchandise, Cartoons. If they are serious about it then they will be laying claim to a chunk of everything made out of the batman name since 1939... which is a lot!

Can a city be a copyright anyway? If so Why doesn't New York ask for some cash everytime it is mentioned in a Film, TV series or the News????!!?!?!?

In fact el reg... don't you now owe them some cash for mentioning them.

It will all come to nothing

35. Allan Rutland
    Coat

Why is it...

I can see Lagos being renamed Spiderman soon and sueing Marvel :P

36. Dr. E. Amweaver
    Coat

I'm Batman and so is my wife.

Mine's the black leather one with the hood and the anatomically correct nipples.

37. Neoc
    Stop

Fine them for stupidity.

Idiots. Trademark infringements do not occur over disparate industries. Now, if Warner Brothers and DC had a super-hero who operated in the *town* of Batman, the Turks might have a point.

But all that aside, the fact that they did nothing for 70-odd years means they've already lost the fight.

Legal blunder-moves like that should be discouraged by severely fining the idiots who perpetrate them.

38. John Savard

The Date Could Be Right

A batman is a unit of weight that was used *long* before Bob Kane in Turkey, so there is no reason why there could not have been a city with that name long ago as well.

39. Andy Gibson
    Coat

Batman is home to more than Batman!

Have a look on the map: http://www.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=37.895853,41.127663&spn=0.108641,0.22316&z=13

Want to play spot the potential law suits, I'll start with Gap.

40. Dangermouse

@batman? (AC)

Methinks you should not be commenting after drinking. It scares people.

That is all.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Batmans

> then how the fuck do they explain val kilmer? or keaton, bale or clooney?

You forgot West.

Mine's the one with the Monkees logo on it.

42. Allan Dyer
    Coat

Product categories...

Aren't trademarks specific to product categories? The city would only have a claim if Warner Bros. was taking advantage of confusion caused by the similarity?

"Oh no! It's the Joker! Quick, call Batman"

"Umm, Batman, a valet to a senior military officer?"

"No, no, not A Batman, THE Batman!"

"What, the city in Turkey? Anyone in particular? The mayor, a travel agent?"

"It's too late, the Joker has already deployed his fiendish weapon for causing comic confusion!"

Mine's the one with the rejected script in the pocket...

43. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

And thus the world...

...has gone bat-shit loco.

Paris, waiting for her lawsuit from France.

44. martinX

News Up Date

In other news, the mayor of Batman is thought by locals to be an idiot. Opens mouth and removes all doubt.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ AC 22:32 GMT

FFS, it should be: "I'm *THE* Batman..."

GOT IT?

46. Chris G

I think

It's time for me to change my name to Microsoft Windows and get a lawyer.

47. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Settle out of court.

This could all be settled amicably over a fine dinner at a good restaurant.

That's dinner as in: "Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Batman!", of course.

48. Martin
    Paris Hilton

Not that I'm cynical or anything, but...

It's obvious that the town is going to lose, unless WB etc. decide to make a gesture.

HOWEVER - I wonder what would happen if someone named a new town after an 'existing'

super-hero? ...... Mega law suit from the IP owners without mercy methinks.

Paris, because I'd like to see her other side too.

49. Andy Worth

And in other news......

.....the town of Moron, Cuba sues the mayor of Batman for being a moron and thus breaking their trademark on the word.

I wasn't aware that you could trademark a town/city name, otherwise Melbourne, AUS is in trouble given that Melbourne, UK has been around for at least 500 years longer.

I think Iam hit the nail on the head. Although telling people that you have a high murder rate and a high rate of female suicides is probably not the best way to draw in tourists. Until I read that I was almost considering going there, just to dress up in a cape and wind up the locals.

50. Robin
    Coat

El Reg Suffers Similar Situation?

What's it worth to stop me having a word with the Mayor of Register town in Georgia, USA?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.