back to article Virgin probes Facebook safety, chav claims

Virgin Atlantic is investigating allegations that its staff posted rude comments on Facebook about the airline's passengers and its safety standards. The comments, which as far as we can see have been pulled, were about flights out of Gatwick and referred to passengers as "chavs". Virgin flies five Boeing 747s from Gatwick. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rule 1 of the internet

If you post under your name, your Boss will see it.

Hi Rob! :)

2. Huw Jenkins
    Thumb Down

Safety Standards?

"Virgin Atlantic does not tolerate any criticism of its passengers or industry-leading safety standards and is taking this matter very seriously."

So you can't critisise Virgins safety standards eh? Thats a forward thinking policy...

3. Mike Crawshaw
    Coat

This was not the article I was looking for...

"Virgin probes Facebook safety, chav claims"

I was expecting an article about a burberry-wearing customer of Virgin Media claiming he had insider information about VM preparing a report on how FakeBook is a nest of snakes.

I think I was about as wrong as it's possible to be without working for the Gov.

4. Eponymous Cowherd
    Joke

Chavved up 747

Perhaps, if Virgin view their customers as 'chavs', they should refit their fleet to make them feel at home.

Burberry pattern upholstery.

Onboard McDonalds franchise.

Plenty of cheap larger and lambrini on tap.

Stewards kitted out in Burberry and Kappa with plenty of cheap gold plated bling.

Half finished paint job over a number of badly fitted body kits.

Lots of little blue lights (inside and out).

Nicked stereo in every seat-back.

Make sure the plane isn't insured and doesn't have a current airworthiness certificate.

Pilot should be completely unqualified. Preferably just let one of the passenger TWOC the plane.

5. Dale Morgan

I'm never flying on a virgin plane!

Theres something very wrong if Virgin are ignoring concerns by its staff about safety, instead of investigating the problems, they give the staff diciplinary action for voicing the concerns to the public.

Anyone got the number for the Health and Safety executive?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

You may not critisise

IMHO Virgin's own statement is the frightening thing here. Would you want fly with an airline that admits it will not tolerate any criticism of its safety practices?

No, Me neither.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Virgin Chavs

I have flown with Virgin on several occasions and IME, it's the chavs that make the plane the state that it is. I'm usually one of the last off - I'll still beat my bags to the baggage carosel anyway- and I regularly see the magazines, food wrappers and food amongst the detritus scattered over the floor and seats in the cabin. That's one of the reasons I go left or upstairs when I get on now.

8. Danny

@Eponymous Cowherd

You owe me one new keyboard due to your comment causing a coffee related mishap!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But they are

the chav airline. Everyone knows it - even my mum. Probably why I fly with BA - chav's can't afford theose ticket prices !!!

10. Matt Ruggles
    Thumb Down

Punters the chavs?

I think the airline staff are the chavs...

They all speak like cockneys (at least here) eee arrigh did ya pack that bag yaself innnit ?

Then theres the ones with WAAAAY too much makeup on and all the rest.

If you ask me, Virgin staff are the chavs.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Um..

I wasn't aware that criticising your employer was actually a disciplinary offense. Anonymous because I have a number of tweets I need to erase.

12. Eponymous Cowherd

@Danny

Unfortunately (for you) my use of the 'Joke Alert' icon indemnifies me against any such claim.

13. Tim
    Black Helicopters

Virgin Atlantic clearly have the highest regards for their passenger...

That's why they work so hard to clean the filth out of their planes after every trip!

Its actually a standard corporate policy not to admit to mistakes, I've had first hand experience from Halifax and 3 mobile!

14. david

And that's just the chaps...

"Then theres the ones with WAAAAY too much makeup on and all the rest."

15. Rob

re: Rule 1 of the internet

Hi there 1st AC!

you make a good point there, you've really narrowed it down massively!

as to that ozzie guy, what sort of muppet adds his boss & HR department to his facebook friend's list? -and then updates it with an "i'm skiving" message?! tool.

16. Pete James

Another crappy jokey......

I used to deep-clean a Virgin Atlantic stewardess.........she was a very dirty girl though! Woof!

Anyway, I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that Virgin ain't the carin' sharin' fun-lovin' firm it tries to project out to the population. Never liked that Branson fellow, far too beardy for my liking. Reminds me of one of those Danish fellows, all flares and the whiff of the lavendar about them, and their roles in those special interest films you could get from the video shop. Before the Internet made it all too accessible and a lot less fun to get yer hands on.

Sorry, what was the question again?

17. Craig

I was on a Virgin 747 from Gatwick this week

I was severely disappointed, both ways (different planes). They both were really showing their age, the entertainment sucks, and yes, they do already have chavvy patterned seats. On the way back, the seats didn't even have those side-rests most have these days (made it harder to get to sleep on the long flight from Las Vegas)

We flew BA to New York and the flight/airplane was so much better. There doesn't seem to be much difference in price, so I doubt I'd ever intentionally fly Virgin again.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Dang

Reading too fast got my hopes up again. A slight misinterpretation of the title, reinforced by "Staff shag off customers, planes", had me expecting something juicier.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Headline?

Your headline is practically meaningless.

The only rational interpretation under the normal rules of English is that "some chav is claiming that Virgin is probing the safety of Facebook".

How about "Staff slam Virgin chavs on Facebook"?

20. Piers
    Happy

@Staff slam Virgin chavs on Facebook

fantastic - an even more not-what-you-think-it-means headline!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Pete James

I've never seen a better description of Branson.

22. Steve
    Flame

Bad attitude!

They need to ask themselves why this would happen.

I would hope the info removed be made public to show they have nothing to hide.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like