back to article Adobe breaks sound barrier with Flash Player 10

Sound is the new frontier for Flash as Adobe Systems released its first major update in three years today, packing in features missing from May's first beta. Flash Player 10 will deliver sound file features that go someway towards giving developers working on audio the same powers of content creation and customization as video …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

But still no x64 support

I know that it's only 2008 and 64 bit systems are all a bit new, however I would have thought that proper x64 support would be here by now. There is a cryptic message on their website "We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following Flash Player 10." Does that mean an updated version 10, or do we have to wait for 3 years for version 11.

Ho hum.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Microsoft!

No one cares.

Signed.

The Internet

3. biznuge
    Gates Horns

The proof of the pudding...

The absolutely great thing about the whole silverlight thing, is that all of their adverts still seem to be sprinkled liberally throughout the t'interweb, as swf files...

Tried the beta of silverlight, couldn't quite get it to work, without banjaxing my system, nuff said...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Silverlight?

Silver shite more like. Useless...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So besides skipping video we will now have skipping sound

It is getting silly. Yesterday, I was observing junior who was trying to play the flash games off BBC website on a 1GHz Geode. It was horrible, the animation was chunky, the effects skipping all over the place and so on. All of that on a machine that could have run old good Doom 1 (and 2) in full screen and have enough resources to fold a couple of units of folding at home in the background. Total yuck. In fact it handles flash video perfectly fine so it is the _LOCAL_ bytecode execution which is the problem. It is horribly slow. So what do they do instead of improving on that? Add more crap. C'mon there is enough crap in this crapulostic framework already, how about actually making it work properly for a change.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"directly access the sound buffer"

Not in Vista it won't.

So it's an XP product, DX-9 compatible.

Doesn't matter, I have FlashBlock on my Firefox, and I fail to see why I should install another instance of bloat from Adobe.

7. John

11 is for wimps

my Behringer 30W bass amp goes to 12!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

How about keeping users happy, too?

I want a pause, a stop and a mute button (or similar) that are _unconditionally_ working! For every Flash app, including audio-only apps without a GUI. And a way to easily limit CPU/GPU usage because I don't want to have a fan running at high speed on my notebook just because somebody didn't know how to code their ad correctly to not use 100% CPU continuously.

9. Colin
    Thumb Down

Windows and Mac

"He pointed to the fact that tools for Flash Player run on Windows and Mac"

unless the Mac is an iPhone...

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Not 9?

I went to Adobe's online store to look at purchasing some upgrades. I was greeted with a 100% Flash web page having a MacOS 9 look & feel. It was slow, mouse scrolling didn't work, and... nevermind. I don't feel like buying anymore.

11. Justin Pasher

Linux fixes

So after all this wait, have they finally fixed the longstanding bug under Firefox/Linux with the flash always appearing on top of other div layers?

12. Lou Gosselin

Progress?

By the time they are finished, they will have developed the equivalent of the Java applet.

Have we passed the 10 year anniversary yet?

13. OSBob
    Thumb Up

RE: Linux fixes

"So after all this wait, have they finally fixed the longstanding bug under Firefox/Linux with the flash always appearing on top of other div layers?"

Yep. Well, in the release candidate it was anyway, but only with Firefox 3 not Firefox 2. Not sure about other browsers.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only Audio I want...

Is no audio... (mute or not actually being so loud)

I am sick of browsing to a page then all of a sudden, the world explodes from my speakers, and the contents of my desk goes flying as I rush to turn the sound down/off. At work I actually leave my volume muted unless I need it.

Granted this doesn't happen much any more due to FlashBlock, but it makes it even more unexpected when I use IE for some reason or other.

Remember, Adobe needs something bloated and over the top that we don't need, to make sure they are competitive with Silverlight.

15. Telic
    Alien

@ Skipping Sound

In some cases Flash performance improves after its private cookies are deleted.

Have a look at the article "Flash Cookies: The Silent Privacy Killer"...

http://tinyurl.com/4ox8b6

!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Linux / Firefox

installed ver 10 and about:plugins says its the same old version 9

typical POS QA processes

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like