back to article MS apps division architect to be fired into space, again

The man who built - not entirely deliberately - Microsoft's applications division is to be fired into space for a second time, at the cost of another slight ding in his huge money pile. Charles Simonyi, father of Excel and Word (sort of), will train with crack Russian billionaire minders in preparation for a mission in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

The joy of???

"Charles Simonyi, Bill Gates, Kim Il Sung, and Martha Stewart all into the one page."

Wow - if there was ever a party with those people all in one place - it would be a halloween party. I mean can you think of a scarier bunch?

(Yahoo! has! to! be! part! of! this!)

2. jake Silver badge

Uh, Lettice, you do know that ...

... Robert X Cringely is a fabrication of Ethernet inventor Bob "one trick pony" Metcalfe's rag Infoworld, right?

I only ask because you speak^wtype of Bob X as a real person ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Having used Word for a couple of decades...

... and occasionally been subjected to the hideous codefuck that is "Hungarian notation", is there any chance of leaving him up there permanently?

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Simonyi's legacy

"...the Multiplan spreadsheet, which was not so much the precursor of Excel as the reason Microsoft had to build it, and [...] the world's first wordprocessor with a spreadsheet user-interface. It took five years to repair the damage."

Well that's "innovation" for you and it is clearly what made MS the company it is today.

5. RainForestGuppy
    Boffin

Lord British in Space??

Richard Garriott? What that Richard Garriott?

6. Funky Dennis
    Stop

@Evil Graham

Actually, Apps Hungarian notation is excellent:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Wrong.html

It's MS's Systems Hungarian notation that's shite.

7. John Lettice (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Uh, Lettice, you do know that ...

I'm a fabrication myself. So of course I knew that shit...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like