back to article Noel Edmonds defies BBC's jackbooted enforcers

Embearded TV presenter Noel Edmonds last week made a heroic stand against the BBC's "threatening" manner towards those who refuse to stump for the privilege of gawking at the idiot's lantern by cancelling his TV licence, the BBC reports. Edmonds, 59, declared he was protesting against "an aggressive culture in the UK", and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Ash

TV License

Who needs one?

I've got iPlayer, 4oD, and for everything else there's various websites. I can even rent the DVD boxed set of whatever show I want, watch it, and still be quids-up.

Down with TV Tax!

2. Mark
    IT Angle

obliging.

There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye.

3. Matt
    Dead Vulture

Ok then

There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

well...

5. tardytardisson
    IT Angle

the required title

"There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The TV licencing company...

... is the primary reason I never got around to getting a new television.

When confronted I ask them how to test whether I can receive a television signal without needing a licence. They offer me the chance to pay just a tiny bit of the licence to be allowed to test. I tell them to begone and trouble me no more. They trouble me more.

Really, I can't be bothered dealing with these jackasses just to see a handful of shows a few hours before they're free on iplayer.

As for Edmonds, presumably he was paying by DD and therefore paying six months in advance.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hang on

Didn't the beeb pay Noel about 1.8Million to "just go away" due to whatever crinkly bottom related pish he was peddling at the time totally bombing in the ratings?

Anyway, Edmonds killed Clive Anderson so I have no sympathy...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a joke!

If the BBC could keep Mr Smug-n-Smarmy Edmonds off all television and radio then I might consider the licence fee to be worth it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Lester

Just off to the pub then?

10. N1AK
    Flame

Ok

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Glad to see someone has Finally noticed...

I lived for years without a TV and therefore without a license. I watched movies from my substantial DVD Collection on my PC.

But I got letters... oh how I got them..

I'd like to say that they start out friendly, but they don't.

The first letter, although stating facts, makes you feel so terrified of the TVLA that the only way to prevent Jackbooted Stormtroopers kicking in the door when they "Send the boys around" is to get a license anyway... even without a TV. Maybe that's what they want.

It's not what they say, it's what they imply that scares people.

I read the letters and they say... You are a criminal.. We are sending the buys around.. if they find anything, you're nicked sonny!

Just because they have a bit of power, and they are in charge of collecting the TV Tax, they treat everyone like guilty criminal scum.

Piracy - because, let's be honest... it is.

12. AC
    IT Angle

IT angle

there's a clear IT angle here, one that tells us quite conclusively that the TV licenser's database doesn't work.

we can now all safely cancel our tv tax and not worry about any men in vans as they'll think we've all got one.

EDMONDS FOR PM !!!!!!!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Because you asked us to...

14. Bronek Kozicki

Well, we like completely don't know what to make of this one,

Simple; he owns or lives under more than one address.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Smarmy beardy shortarse hypocrite

That new show of his on Sky is toe-curling.

The problem with trying to tap into the general mood of disaffection with the government (by setting yourself up as a latter-day Robin Hood figure), is that everyone remembers you live in an enormous fucking mansion in Devon, travel everywhere by helicopter and occasionally fuck up your career by dropping hapless members of the public 150ft from a crane onto concrete.

Hardly Che Fucking Guevara, are you Noel?

I'd happily pay double the TV licence, tomorrow, just to make sure there's a channel without that irritating diminutard on it.

16. Brian Walshe

Noel Edmonds.

Noel Edmonds makes crap TV programs and has a stupid beard.

17. Seán

Fucking What!

Commentards, is that what it is now when fucking advertising for FOX is questioned. Greasy very very greasy.

18. Skip
    Thumb Up

How's this for a comment then...?

There is no IT angle to this story but who cares. It doesn't matter what is it doing here. I am looking fondly at The Register in my bookmarks, glad to have bookmarked it many years hence. Please re-affirm my subscription (oh hang on, there is no subscription, all this news and amusement is provided free of charge, oh well...). I am also perfectly satisfied with today's weather. The Register has clearly made the weather the way I like it. Thank you.

19. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

sod the IT angle...

I'd say this was covered by general public interest... and as a member of the public, i'm interested. Besides, even if the same story made the BBC news site, it wouldnt be nearly as entertaining....

deposits tuppence.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Yeah, beard power rules!

What a complete plonker! Does anyone really give a monkey's what he does these days? He's obviously board with torturing animals at his pretend zoo and foisting that penis on legs through our screens, Mr Blobby I mean, not Keith Chegwin!

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Done and done

There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye

22. W
    Pirate

"Note to commentards"

Garrrr*. I detect some resentment toward your readers, me hearties. Chill your boots El Regtards, or I'll splice your mainbrace.

* It's "International talk like a pirate day" today!

23. Adam

I haven't got a licence either.

Got sick of the rubbish on TV so got rid of it. Not for the first time. The licence fee is more like protection money, stop paying they come after you.

24. Lars Petersson
    Pirate

Heh heh, no license here either...

I'm totally with him on this.

I also don't have a TV license...

Of course, I haven't had a TV for 6 or 7 years, but that's largely irrelevant ^_^

Skull & Crossbones because it's talk like a pirate day. Yarrrr

25. Colin Morris
    Paris Hilton

Re: Note to commentards

<quote>Here you go, cut and paste this: "There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye."</quote>

Don't let the commentBastards get you down, Lester.

There's no IT angle, theres no hotel heiress angle... oh yeah, it's Friday.

... and besides... it's in the 'Entertainment' section of the website for fcuks sake!

<rantFlame>I can never understand the morons who complain about their being no IT angle. to a story! If anyone doesn't like it then don't read the bloody article!</rantFlame>

Hotel heiress because.. [see above]

26. c price
    IT Angle

Well someone's got to...

"There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye."

Seriously, can I be the first to welcome our bearded, jumper wearing overlords....

27. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Rubbish.

28. Richard
    Stop

I'l bet I know what's happened

The bearded eejit paid by Direct Debit, which is 6 months in advance and 6 in arrears. His licence is probably valid for the next 6 months... *sigh*

Of course he's got another option - not watch any sodding TV. I use the 2 weeks or so per year that I'm visting the folks to check whether I'm missing out on anything and all I tend to see is the likes of Edmonds spouting banalities and calling it entertainment. Can't wait to see reports of a Jeremy Kyle "I'm not paying for a licence just to watch people like me" special.

29. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

You missed ...

I for one welcome our jackbooted overlords.

BBC do not know who has a license because they use Vista/Linux/Mac.

Mine's the one with pigeon stains because I spend so much time watching through the TV shop windows.

Paris because you do not need a TV license there.

30. Bob Hoskins
    Thumb Down

See below

Lester, you're a twat.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Yar!

Where be the coverage of 'talk like a pirate' day?

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Splice the main brace!

Oh and where be the IT angle? Yar!

32. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Commentard here, how do you read, over

As requested: "There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye."

PS: About the weather - warm and sunny, but not too hot, please.

33. Ashley Young
    IT Angle

Cut?

"Here you go, cut and paste this:"

Last time I checked reg pages were read only; therefore copy & paste is the only viable option.

34. steve
    Happy

What the hell

There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Commentards

You're feeling a bit stroppy today aren't you Lester? Are you on the rag?

M.

36. Jonathan Walsh
    Stop

publicity

Of course Noel's protestations had nothing to do with his round of publicity seeking for his new show on Sky?

37. Dan Silver badge
    Stop

Data protection?

And should TV Licensing really be confirming or denying any information held about their 'customers' to all and sundry?

38. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I for one...

welcome our jack booted, license sniffing overlords

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No IT angle?

'A TV Licensing spokeman said: "TV Licensing has checked its records and can confirm we have a valid current licence on record for his address."'

Did someone say "Data Protection Act"? They shouldn't be telling us whether he has a licence or not!

40. andy gibson
    Happy

I saw this rant

It was on BBC Breakfast on BBC1 last Saturday morning. It was amusing watching the presenters squirm and for half a second thought I was watching that Brass Eye special where it was reported he'd gone crazy!

41. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

IT angle?

42. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

IT angle?

43. Thomas
    IT Angle

Where's the IT angle???

'Nuff said.

44. CrackedButter
    IT Angle

Do I win a prize?

There is no IT angle to this story. What is it doing here? I am removing The Register from my bookmarks. Please cancel my subscription. I am also dissatisfied with today's weather. Please make the weather the way I like it. Goodbye."

45. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@for commentards

Been a tough week? Have a beer, metaphorically, on me.

"IT?" because sometimes the absence of something only serves to emphasise its presence.

46. JakeyC
    Pirate

Data Protection and sex offenders

Firstly, since when was it acceptable to disclose details of whether an address is licensed or not? Surely a breah of DPA, no? Can I just phone up and ask whether my neighbour has a licence?

Secondly, I have to agree with the embearded one's principles here. Their entire approach appears to put the burden of proof on you to prove that you don't have a TV. The law, however puts it on them to prove that you DO.

Imagine if the DVLA sent out letters with bold red text stating that because you weren't on their list of licensed drivers, they suspect you of driving without a licence and you'll need to show them that you weren't out driving illegally.

Or how about "We can't find you on the register of Sex Offenders, therefore we believe you may be out molesting small children and need you to confirm that you weren't"...

My address has been "authorised for immediate investigation" and has been due for a "visit from one of our Enforcement Officers" for over five years now. I'm still waiting for the chap to pop round as promised.

Some VERY telling answers (and even more telling witheld ones) here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/foi/docs/responses_tvlicence.shtml

47. Anigel
    Flame

As instructed....

48. Name

So much for confidentiality

A TV Licensing spokeman said: "TV Licensing has checked its records and can confirm we have a valid current licence on record for his address."

That's none of our business, and the BBC's money-with-menaces department has no right to make this information public. Data protection, anybody?

49. Tim Spence
    Coat

I wonder how many "first" posts will be identical to this

50. amanfromMars Silver badge

Soft Pseudo Radicalism ..... for the ITLite Web Browser/MunchKin*

Don't tell me that Mr Edmonds has finally found some balls to play with? Although with two contradictory stories printed who's to say that both are not accomplished in lying .... the Great Political Disease.

* MunchKin .... One who is easily Gobbled up and Ignored.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.