back to article Who will be the next Doctor?

“No comment.” As the current season of Doctor Whoswings inexorably toward its grand finale, that is pretty much the universal tight-lipped response from the BBC and all its agents. Minimal advance details on the up and coming episode. No advance play tape. The latter, of course, have an unhappy history of being leaked and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Scott
    Coat

Replacement...

...I heard it was the Hoff?

2. Allan Rutland
    Coat

You know...

with how the beeb has been picking actors for this last series *cough* Tate *cough* they're bound to find some muppet. Am expecting Graham Norton, or maybe Julian Clarey to give Capt Jack some company :P

Although, there is that whole annoying woman Tate will die...and that did get me thinking (I do hope not) that the Doc will turn into her! and due to a paradox cause the other one to explode. Hope not though, as am hoping she'll have some form of accident involving industrial machinary and her head in the TARDIS door :P

3. The Mighty Spang
    Alien

3 episodes and cliffhangers?

might actually start to be what it once was rather than 45 mins of fluff where you can't explain anything interesting.

mind you i wont watch it until they get rid of tennant. i'd love to know who he has been blowing at the bbc to get so many jobs (and good ones at that) over the last few years.

There can only be one person to play the doctor who should - David Thewlis. playing it like "Johnny" from Mike Leigh's film "Naked". Now *that* I would watch.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Love, or something lame...

I'm betting on it still being Tennant... It'll either be:

a) he regenerates as himself - improbable, not impossible (he can take any form, why not the same one through coincidence?) - due to his determination and his love for Rose

b) he was only half-hit by the Dalek

Either way, on tenterhooks, and gutted I'm out of the country on Saturday. Gawd bless iPlayer

5. Jamie White
    Coat

Hmm.. Already spotted

Considering he has already been seen filming the Xmas special - I don't think Saturday marks his departure.

I am sure the regeneration will split the fanbase....

The doctor always has nice coats.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Robert Carlyle?

Come oan ye fecking Dalek, I'm goan kick in yer wee tin baws.

7. lee harvey osmond

Same as the old doctor

Remember that bit Russell T Davies invented for "The Christmas Invasion", where the Doctor lost a hand and grew a new one? And how Captain Jack was toting that about as a Doctor Detector through Torchwood season 1? That's been hanging about in the TARDIS lately.

See also the publicity photos for this two-parter featuring both David Tennant and Camille Coduri, who wasn't in the first part.

But more importantly: since Steven Moffat of "Coupling" fame is about to take over as show runner, I anticipate that Doctor Who will soon become substantially less gay and there will be five assistants -- although one of the girlie assistants will pretend to be bisexual.

8. Geoff Spick
    Paris Hilton

Weaving of the plots

Its funny that Dr Who is the only British program that can weave its plots in a similarly intricate fashion to US shows like Lost, Heroes and so on. It might still be cod sci-fi, but its still better than 95% of the soapy rubbish we churn out. Since Hustle finished Brit TV is a sadder, reality-toss filled, place.

Paris, because she likes her plot holed

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

William Shatner?

...and it's not even Friday.

Paris, 'cos she's been seen punting on that one in William Hill's.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real question should be...

Will Caan be appearing on Calls For Cthulhu any time soon? They would make a great team.

11. GremlinUK
    Thumb Up

Conscious

It's unusual for the Doctor to be unconscious when he regenerates (though I don't think it's the first time), so maybe he has more control that in prior occasions. Note also that his 'daughter' (seen earlier in this season) was seen to regenerate whilst remaining in her original form... it might yet happen. And as the article says, RTD is fond of blowing prior settled issues - this may well be another.

I do think Robert Carlyle would be an excellent Doctor, though. :)

12. Paul

Its going to be Tennant again....

Because it will make that twat RTD feel like he’s being clever...

Also, with all these universes and stuff, is anyone else reminded of the Marvel Multivers crisis stuff, where they screw stuff up and then say "well it happened in a different universe" and then get so confused they have to have something to re-set it?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'm well annoyed

That the BBC didn't consider me for Davros or The Doctor *grumble* Though the new Davros, Mr Bleach does bring back more than just echoes of Michael Wisher. He's scary, with insides that look like 3 day old fried chicken leftovers. Daleks aren't once you've seen them in a Spike Milligan sketch.

If there is a new Doctor I so hope it isn't James Nesbitt. I may have to get my Validium bow and arrows out and hunt down RTD if Nesbitt turns out to be the new Time Lord.

As for the episode itself, the tight direction of Graeme Harper does well to disguise thinly used and too many characters and RTD pinching ideas from a Big Finish Audio story and Space:1999. Way too many Daleks too. Yes, we know you can animate them so they can fly like they did in the comics. Now bring back old school Cybermen that kick ar5e and put their hands on their hips a lot.

If you're going to have girls with guns, where the hell is the best ass-kicking girl with a gun? I'm talking about Ace.

On the plus side seeing Michael Brandon again reminded me of Dempsey and Makepeace (I'd like to make more than just peace with Glynis Barber... *lewd smile*) and it's always nice to see Sarah Jane again.

Mine's the coat saying "Bring back Ace!"

14. Iain

Tennant again

That hand has been significantly lurking around the Tardis all season; it's bound to be the excuse for how he regenerates as himself again.

15. ChessGeek

Precedent?

Given that the doctor's "daughter" came back to life (regenerated? or not?) as "herself", precedent has been created for the Doctor to revive without the usual change of face and personality.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

John Simm!

It's John Simm I tells ya!

The Doctor keeps on saying he's the only Time Lord alive, so it stands to reason that The Master is actually Doctor Who in a different universe or some gubbins like that.

17. Neil Bradley

The Doctor...

...gets split in two. The hand in the jar 'absorbs' the energy during The Doctor's regeneration phase to create a new version of himself.

18. Jamie
    Linux

Hope he does not change

Hated the last Doctor as the Doctor is not suppose to be some sort of Chav trying his best to fit in with society. He is old man with a predeliction to young girls (gotta love the guy) who sticks out like a sore thumb. The last time they had a Doctor this good with such good story lines Tom Baker was doing it.

Maybe I will have to get a life as I cannot wait for the weekend not for tme off work or to go out partying but so that I can see the next Doctor Who.

19. Matthew Smith

What'll happen..

The doctor's daughter will show up, and prevent the regeneration somehow (She managed to just bring herself back to life, rather than regenerate herself). The dalek's plan falls into place with the 27 planets, and Satan pops out. He doesn't take kindly to the daleks, and fighting breaks out. The companions flee Earth, and land on nearby Clum. Peter Kay appears as the Abzorbaloff, and absorbs Satan. Mickey also appears with his trans-dimensional warp thing, and throws himself after Satan, thus proving himself the most faithful companion. Hence the three-fold man business. But no one weeps for Mickey.

20. Shakje

Actually...

I think Tennant has been quite good, although the majority of scripts have been reasonably weak. My most enjoyed one was the one which had many MANY allusions to the plot of Doom (the original game) with the end boss being a huge demon (once again, the Doom kind). Other than that there's been a few good ones, but

21. Ross Fleming

RE: Conscious

"It's unusual for the Doctor to be unconscious when he regenerate (though I don't think it's the first time), so maybe he has more control that in prior occasions."

Doubtful - Eccleston was wide awake when he regenerated into Tennant. Gave a big soppy speech to Rose as I recall.

22. Sulehir

Quick thought.

In the Library episodes, the woman (can't remember her name) said she recognised the Docter (ni his current form) and had spent a lot of time with him, since that hasnt happened yet...

23. David Cornes

Oh look, all the DW geeks come out the woodwork!

Well I *like* Tate. Surprisingly a rather good actress, and more importantly NONE of this annoying luvvy shite between her and The Doctor. Did anyone else groan very loudly when they heard Rose would be coming back to make gooey eyes again?!

Tennant of course is stunning, if sometimes looking like he's grasping for substance in what has been an extremely variable quality season.

As for the Daleks, well for a race supposedly wiped out in "the last great Time War" they have a remarkable ability to not stay that way and keep reappearing. As said before, doesn't Russell like to show how clever he can be by lazily contradicting himself. Invent a *new* enemy for the series climax?? Oooo no matron!

And as for the regeneration: interesting, but quite obviously a red-herring just to beef up the cliff hanger...

24. Feef Lovecraft
    Happy

I know for sure

Tennant is The Doctor in the xmas movie, I saw him filming bits of it with my own eyes.

I suspect Donna will use the residual energy of the time bug on her back to make a timey-wimey ball of stuff and go "What if you hadn't destroyed your own planet?"

ZOT! Gallifrey returns!

POW! Timelords arrive!

BOF! Cliffhanger ending as everyone the Doctor knows or cares about fades from this now redundant time line.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@No one weeps for Mickey

Given how the press all celebrated Martha as the first black companion I don't think many people even remember Mickey exists.

26. David Webb
    Alien

Time Synch

Well, the Doctor will regenerate into someone else, but they are slightly out of synch with time, so the "new" doctor will set about fixing everything by some seriously incredible plot involving bees.

When the doctor fixes everything, the time shift will revert everything back to how it was before Davros started messing with time, so the Doctor will degenerate back into Tennant.

However, what is most likely to happen is his assistant is actually still dreaming it, she hasnt got rid of that bug in her back, she wakes up in a shower and finds out the past series never actually happened! What? It happend with Dallas!

27. Ian Dennison
    Joke

What odds for,....

Daniel Craig?

Stephen Hawking?

Bungle from Rainbow? (someone above mentioned muppets)

Robbie Williams? (OK, that's pushing it a little)

Or really alternatively,....

Rowan Atkinson?

Robin Williams?

Jimmy Nail?

Colour me scared!

28. Matt

' Hi, I'm Barry Scott !! '

Barry scott from the Cilit Bang advert would make a great Doctor Who....

He would get rid of those pesky Daleks - the sulfamic, and phosphoric acid will be their downfall....

29. Dunstan Vavasour
    Alien

RTD ...

... has a predilection for Dallas style plot resets. I expect to see Tom Baker coming out of the shower (though regeneration does get you past the Ms Ellie flip/flop).

As this is RTD's swansong, expect the clunky plot hooks to be picked up. We've already used "Emergency Temporal Shift" to get Daleks after they all disappeared into the rift from where Rose bought it. I assume we'll discover who picked up the Master's ring after his cremation.

30. Jay Cooper

My money is on....................

Tennant. But it would be nice to be surprised. I'd much rather see an English man in the role. Some one like Keanu Reeves or Kevin Costner. You know, people that really represent England......................

31. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Hey!

Who turned out the lights?

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Conscious

"Doubtful - Eccleston was wide awake when he regenerated into Tennant. Gave a big soppy speech to Rose as I recall."

The Master also regenerated while conscious taking the time to gloat that he had the Tardis when he did. Remains to be seen what happens, but there has been enough speculation about Tennant being busy and possibly leaving in the media of late to indicate we might have a new guy, but knowing RTD we can always get the guy back again.

Wait and see...

33. Sam

Article..who's "Doctor Whoswings"?

Anyway..Donna turns out to have the Master's ring (you can get cream for it),Hugh Grant turns up, Billie Piper gets offed, they win, Freema Handgrenade uses that key thingy Michael Brandon gave to her, time reverts, Tennant comes back via the hand, everyones saved, we all go down the pub.

Probably.

Apart from that, I know nothing.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Same again please...

Tennant - Gotta be. The program for the proms at the royal albert hall has ...

'To be recorded for BBC One and Live on BBC Radio 3. Available as audio on demand for the following week.

A family concert featuring music from the BBC's Doctor Who series, and including a specially filmed scene, written by Russell T Davies and starring David Tennant'...

mines the one with the sonic screwdriver.....

35. Rob Sked
    Thumb Up

Apprently . . . .

. . . . There will be two Tennents in the next episode. Blue suit & Brown suit.

Donna ends up dying, nearly, and Tennent takes her back to her granddad and then buggers off in the rain.

36. Andrew Moore

You've got to remember

RTD is very fond of the Reset Button. Remember last years cliff-hanger were everything just returned to normal?I'm expecting more of the same this year (with the same shite dialog)

37. Andrew Bush

Eddie Izzard

I still like Eddie Izzard. But then without RTD, there'll be no need for further gender ambiguity...

38. hey_may
    Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton should be the next Dr.

39. Andy Bignell

Couple things I noticed...

Can't believe I've signed up just for this, how sad... but...

At the Shadow Proclamation the woman talking to Donna said there was something on her back (Donna's) - this only happens in Donna's alternate universe...

In the Confidential thingy Micky was sat round the table during rehearsal so I think he will make an appearance...

This leads me to believe that this is all happening in alternate universe(s) and that this is an alternate Dotor that's regenerating...

And I'll be gutted if they replace Tennant now, I think he's ace as The Doc - I certainly won't be watching James Nesbitt if it turns out to be him!

40. Chris Griffiths
    Coat

I actually...

...quite surpised myself by liking Donna. I was expecting her to be either just like she was in the previous Xmas special (i.e. infuriatingly shouty and annoying), or that we'd get a series of "Do I look bovvered?". But she actually turned out to be one of the best companions by a) NOT being all gooey about the Doc, and b) challenging him all the time to re-think his position on things.

As for the Doc's regeneration, there's going to be some wonderful Deus Ex Machina that RTD has thought up. My money is either on the hand, or Rose opening the heart of the TARDIS - she opened it once, and it's linked to psychically or somthing (insert usual complicated reason here) - and most of the Doc's regernation energy is sucked in, leaving just enough to heal him but not change his appearance.

However, the "Time Beatle" theory is out. The frizzy-haired one definitely said "There WAS something on your back", not "There IS something on your back".

Mine's the one inside the blue police box with "Bad Wolf" written on the door...

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Doctor a woman

I've heard the new Doctor is going to a woman; not sure which one as we have a few billion to choose from.

42. MrT

Economics mean...

... it'll be Richard Hammond.

That way they don't have to change the merchandising too much, apart from trading the TARDIS in for a Morgan Roadster. Could always call it Bessie I suppose...

43. Matt

Are you ?

Are you my Mummy ?

44. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Last time he regenerated...

...he used the excess regeneration energy to regrow his hand - perhaps the severed hand will absorb the regeneration energy to grow a new Doctor, paving the way for 2 Doctors in the episode, and allowing Tennant to continue playing the role.

Also, Donna appears to have recently aqquired a ring which the camera seems to like focussing upon - perhaps said ring will absorb regeneration energy and use it to regenerate the Master in his John Simms incarnation.

Maybe Donna has a fob-watch of her own, and is one of the female Time Lords in disguise:

Evidence, Donna Noble is a temp, a point which she makes quite frequently.

Donna = Italian for 'Lady'

Noble = Nobility, read as 'Lord/Lady'

temp = Latin for 'time'

Donna Noble, temp = Lady Time Lord?

45. Niall Campbell
    Pirate

How about....

Danny Dyer, He'd get it 'sorted' in no time....What you lookin at Dalek, 'stitch that you F**k*r'

Cyberman, 'Ow'd you like my Golden DM up yer jacksy?'

No prob for Dr Who, king of the terraces!!!

46. jai
    Alien

Robert Carlyse

I want to see the next Dr Who as Begby from Trainspotting

the Dr's far too much of a pacifist for the world we live in today - i wanna see the Doctor striding into a pub on a distant planet, calling the Darleks a bunch of ***ts, headbutting the Face of Bo and then glassing a Sontaran with his pint and kicking a Cyberman in the happy sacks

47. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Wheres the playmobile?

a subject is required

48. Mr Fury
    Alien

RTD does great cliffhangers...

...But lousy resolutions.

It'll all be solved with some deus ex machina, probably involving glowing lights, whilst the Doctor stands around gawking.

It'd be nice to be proved wrong, but not betting on it.

And is anyone else disappointed we didn't get to see Martha meet Agatha Christie? 'So Agatha, what the new book called?' 'Ten Little Ni.... Oh look a big wasp'

49. Carl
    Thumb Up

Tennant for another term...

@Jamie

"He is old man with a predeliction to young girls (gotta love the guy)"

Yeah, he's like the James Bond of the sci-fi world - and that bastard keeps changing too...

I think that the coincidence of 4 of the Doctor's campanions being all together in the same place (including one of them 'visiting' from a parallel universe) will be all that's needed to stop the Doctor from changing into Robert Carlyle - and the longer they can hold that off the better, really...

50. davenewman
    Paris Hilton

Jessica Alba for Doctor

She could be a really physical Doctor Who, fighting like she did in Dark Angel.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like