back to article Cardiff 'copter coppers give chase to UFO

The pilot of a police helicopter was forced to take evasive action to avoid a collision with a UFO as the aircraft was returning to the Ministry of Defence base of St Athan, near Cardiff. The three airmen described the unidentified flying object as "saucer-shaped", and proceeded to pursue, getting as far as the North Devon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Hmmmm

First, the term "UFO" means unidentified flying object, which means a flying object that cannot be identified and not exclusively alien spacecraft.

The fact that the UFO was heading straight for the helicopter would lead me to believe it was some secret weapon built by the USA, seeing as it had locked onto the nearest friendly target.

The enthusiasm with which the Welsh flying constabulary persued the UFO leads me to conclude that these aliens probably looked a lot like sheep...

...or dark skinned plumbers.

2. Nigel
    Joke

Torchwood?

Ah, it's near Cardiff, so it must be the Rift....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

When are you people goigng to get serious?

The editors and readers of sites like The Register and Slashdot have some stuff in common; neither of them take UFOs seriously, despite all the evidence of people who are as reliable and intelligent as they are, they still think UFOs are a big joke, and the people who report them delusional. The fact of the matter is, this joke is on YOU.

Read the police statements: “The chopper had to swerve sharply to avoid being hit. The guys said if they’d stayed where they were, they’d be dead – it would’ve been a direct hit."

"There are a wide variety of aircraft which come in a range of different shapes and sizes and in all probability this sighting has just confirmed that one of these was in the area at the relevant time."

This is utter nonsense.

If a plane ANY PLANE created a near miss situation like this, and the aircraft was UNIDENTIFIED this is a serious breach of rules. This aircraft if it was piloted by men, would have its controllers brought to book, no doubt about it. This aircraft nearly hit a helicopter, and then sped away. That is not in any way humorous; that is a very serious matter.

The explanation given for this is astonishing, given the current hysteria about flying and protecting 'our' airspace.

The editors of El Reg really should know better. They should have (and we know they do) a firm grasp on reality and logic. We also know they have a firm grasp on the history of technology and scientific progress. Ridiculing things you do not understand is simply stupid, and you are not stupid.

UFOs are not a joke. They are the most serious world wide phenomenon currently affecting us. The least you can do is do the subject justice, with the same serious approach that you use to evaluate any other subject.

4. Sooty

not that far fetched

"They are convinced it was a UFO. It sounds far-fetched, but they know what they saw."

It was flying, and they didn't know what it was. Pretty much the dictionary definition of an *Unidentified* Flying Object.

just because its a UFO doesn't mean it's an alien spaceship, a carrier bag blowing in the wind is a UFO until you identify it as a carrier bag.

5. Uwe Dippel
    Black Helicopters

Friday night?

So they were hovering (what else in a helicopter) on a Friday night over an airfield, about 170 m above ground, and then suddenly, out of the blue, some UFO approaches them from below, that is from the airfield.

Not only do they have to swerve to avoid being hit, they also pursue said Unknown Object, crossed the Bristol channel in pursuit until running out of fuel. How could they dare to pursue some Flying Object, despite an obvious lack of fuel? How can a helicopter reach a speed any close to some flying saucer?

It was a Friday night, and it has started with a boozing session in the airfield club; and some chap had brought along some strange smoking and puffing stuff. And then they felt like dancing in the air a bit, and some other chap flew a kite or some RC-helicopter, plane or whatnot. Oh wait, maybe they produce the RC-UFOs for kids now?

I envy them for the dose. Not for the hangover.

6. Allan Dyer
    Black Helicopters

What does the "U" stand for?

"They are convinced it was a UFO. It sounds far-fetched, but they know what they saw."

No, they don't know what they saw, that's why it's unidentified. Doh!

What colour was the Police 'copter...

7. James Condron

Face it

They were pissed... like when you get pulled over serving whilst driving drunk

"It was a URA, an Unidentified Running Animal... Cat shaped, tried to follow it and thats when I hit the living room window."

8. Jan Buys
    Paris Hilton

no...

... reference to Doctor Who or Torchwood?

Paris, since even she would have done that.

9. John Widger
    Boffin

The day?

It's Saturday not Friday.

10. Elmer Phud
    Alien

Cardiff?

Who's been watching too much telly?

Any fule kno that Royal Ascot is where you get the real alien species.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Eh?

Surely with a gene pool like the Welsh one surely the entire concept of alien becomes very murky, perhaps that's why Torchwood are really based there?

12. Neil Daniels
    Black Helicopters

RIght then...

...get Torchwood on it.

13. Gareth Irwin
    Coat

They know what they saw

If so it wouldn't be a UFO innit.

14. David Gosnell

Inevitable pedantic comment

"They are convinced it was a UFO"

If they couldn't identify it and it was airborne, they're spot on!

15. Chris Miller
    Coat

Police are baaffled

The surprise is surely not that "they're out there" but that they selected Caerdydd for their appearance. Could this be the first sighting of an intelligent sheep-based lifeform?

I, for one, welcome our new ovine overlords!

Mine's the sheepskin coat, ta.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Uuu Laaa!

On the front of the Cardiff Post yesterday we had a picture of an Independence day craft over the top of the Millenium Stadium!

Funny though that copter has tens of thousands of pounds worth of imaging kit and yet they didn't take a photo, how disappointing.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it was plods helicopter...

... then surely they'll have video, or at least a pic, of the offending aircraft?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

semantics

If it was a flying object of unidentified origin, then it's a UFO by definition. I presume they meant they thunk it were Ayleeunz...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

OK

When are you Brits going to arm those police helicopters with the proper hellfire missiles. Think about about all of the advantages - you could bring down the odd UFOs - not to mention stopping those scofflaws breaking traffic laws. Of course the main reason would be to get rid of those terrorists (and people that disagree with Bush and Whips&Chainie) that fill the UK.

Got to have the heli!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Welcome

I, for one, welcome our new galactic overlords and look forward to serving the Lizard race faithfully.

(It's an old 'un but a good 'un.)

21. This post has been deleted by its author

22. David Pollard

This looks like a mate of mine

If I've told him once I've told him a hundred times, "Recreational or not, don't bait the coppers. They've got a difficult enough job as it is."

23. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Aliens? In Cardiff?

Torchwood...

24. Paul

Why on earth do you always need a title???

You know, the description provided sounds a lot more like someone's homemade rocket gone awry, especially as it came from below.

25. Stan

bollox

This sounds more like the real reason cannabis has been re-classified, the cops are getting too far out of their bin on commandeered super skunk. Could be Amanfrommars's satellite link is playing up either :)

cheers

26. Dave Bell

Cardiff?

It's the 21st century, guys, and you gotta be ready.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Truth

I look forward to see the footage courtesy of Lester Haines, if he is allowed after his criminally corrupt canine camera conduct. The Truth[tm] is out there, and comes in an assortment of colours.

28. George
    Alien

So I can list what is about to come up:

1) Aurora being tested in the UK

2) Black helicopters

3) Blackswift

4) False Flag operation

However there is a valid option in BAE's Taranis UAV strike plane thingy, it was tested in this country before being declassified for news sources but that was way away from air lanes and indeed people.

I think its the overlords running from the police, they hate stop and search because of the phaser culture on their own planet.

29. Stuart Halliday

Yet no one was tracking it?

So was it on RADAR or not?

If it was, why didn't they track it and why don't we know where it went?

I bet it was a unmanned military drone they've been playing with this month.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Shrooms??

Sounds like those Cardiff lads been out in the fields lately doing some picking, now they are seeing the cool stuff~!

Shame it's not real ! :P

31. Richard

Flying saucer ...

I'll only believe it was a flying saucer if it was closely followed by the CUP !

[Apologies to Ben "Thin Blue Line" Elton 8-]

/The foil lined trench coat please.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Does no-one else find it odd...

...that the police chose to chase a UFO in the proximity of an MoD base?

Surely the most logical explanation is that it was a secret military test flight?

Anonymous for the black helicopters.

33. Fuion
    Unhappy

@cardiff_copter_coppers_chase_ufo

"The helicopter was stationary, hovering at 500ft and waiting for clearance to land on June 7, when the crew spotted the UFO hurtling towards them from below."

That was my parts delivery, the sentra doors. Thanks a load for freaking out the delivery men...

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are these officers now.....

on sick leave ?.

35. Seán

@AC

UFO's ARE a joke and if you take them seriously so are you.

36. Daniel Bennett
    Coat

Torchwood

Probs just filimng the new series :P

37. evilbobthebob
    Alert

Serious?

"They are the most serious world wide phenomenon currently affecting us"

Right, so they *nearly* crashed into one police copter. In Cardiff. And that makes them a serious world wide phenomenon. Right. If you're being sarcastic and I'm missing it, please correct me, but surely global warming/climate change/terrorism/earthquakes/volcanoes etc are more serious? I've never actually heard of anyone dying/having their car taxed/having their liberties removed over UFOs...

38. brainwrong

Swerve

'Read the police statements: “The chopper had to swerve sharply to avoid being hit. The guys said if they’d stayed where they were, they’d be dead – it would’ve been a direct hit."'

Maybe they should have stayed where they were and got hit, at least then there may have been some evidence of the craft in the wreckage.

Saw a UFO myself recently. Turned out to be some sort of chinese lantern balloon thing released from a nearby inn after a wedding.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

THIS is what they saw, lol

Maybe this is what they saw ??

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4183989.ece

Coincidence it appeared in todays Times.

40. Antoine Dubuc
    Unhappy

They're real alright.

On december 12 1981 I was 5 years old and behind Mt Saint Anne, in Quebec, where my grand father had his cottage, we saw one at 19h45 hovering about 500 meters behind the cottage, at around 100 feets, for nearly 5 minutes. The neighbours saw it too. It just appeared there, then it just flashed through the clouds and was gone. My grandfather told me it was santa claus and not to tell anyone. It ultimately cause a divorce between my grandmother and my grandfather as she tought he was nuts, and that he had con me into this.. etc. They are real alright. And they suck.

41. jim
    Stop

Sack 'em

Sack the load of 'em.

They are all obviously on drugs or were inhaling Helicopter turbine fumes. Still sack them though.

42. David Cornes
    Paris Hilton

Well m'lud...

Excellent! The next scrote up in court with damning eye-witness evidence from these plods just needs to get his defence to bring this up, and he's scot free! :-D

Paris, 'cos she's got a good defence team too.

43. Lol Whibley
    Alien

seriously..

"UFOs are not a joke. They are the most serious world wide phenomenon currently affecting us."

Do elaborate some more.

44. Steve Roper
    Black Helicopters

@ AC "When are you people goigng to get serious?"

The problem is what I like to call the "master conspiracy theory". That is, "them in power" encourage the spread of tinfoil-hat nutjobs and their whacky conspiracy theories, with the idea that everyone will become so sick of hearing them that anyone who even suggests a government may use agents-provocateurs to stage a terrorist attack is also dismissed as a tinfoil-hat nutjob. In such a social climate of cynicism and incredulity, it becomes impossible to expose even a real conspiracy, and "them in power" are then free to implement whatever atrocities their twisted minds can dream up.

Was this UFO a secret government project or was it an alien spaceship - or, as someone above has suggested, was it even somebody's backyard rocket? Even if it is a spaceship or a project - for Mr and Ms Everyday, what difference does it make? Is it going to reduce taxes? Is it going to eliminate the plethora of ridiculous laws being passed to constrain our lives? No. So it doesn't matter. It's just one more news bite, here today, forgotten tomorrow, on to the next momentarily interesting thing to scoff at. Unfortunately, if this thing is a ship or a black helicopter, we aren't going to find out about it anyway, so "getting serious" isnt going to change anything. Sadly enough.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mid Summer in the early 70's

I remember very clearly an incident when I was in my early teens when I and two friends at the time saw a UFO that to be honest wasn't a UFO but a 'flying saucer with three distinct lights at the front. At the time these things were in the news and at the age I was at the time I didn't really understand the true significance.

I remember going home and telling my mother "make a note of this time and day, I have just seen a fling saucer". The time was 9.25pm on a mid summers night and the sky was clear and it was sunny. Unfortunately I don't remember the day or year only the time, but I do recall that the headlines in the Liverpool echo the next evening was that thousands of others had seen it also. After a week some official reported that we all must of saw Mars. Yeah... I thought, it was like somebody telling me that the police helicopter I saw only last night was the moon! A week or so afterwards some amateur astronomer wrote into the paper saying that while he does not believe in UFO's he said the government spokesman was talking rubbish as Mars was the other side of the planet (or something like that) at the time.

I have researched on the net for reports of this incident without success. But I have always been a believer since then. Nothing from this world moves like that 'ship' did on that summery evening.

The speed at which this beast suddenly flew off at right angles compared to the way it was initially cruising was like something out of startrek.

46. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Special IntelAIgents Service 42 Go....

Probably LLAN* Twittering Majors ..... on Special Ops Advanced Reconnaissance and Communications..... Blighty Bletchley Boffin types at Work, Rest and Play, and more than a Tad XXXXotic and Precious

*Linked Live Area Networks

47. Dalen
    Black Helicopters

Mystery solved

It was an experimental bismuth nanotube-based killer robot armed with puke rays, and piloted by genetically modified sheep.

48. Luther Blissett

Eyeballed by a fly

Or some such. Ever happened to you? I'm tempted to say that if I’d stayed where I was, I’d be dead. Instead I will report that in the milliseconds before impact it was growing at a prodigious rate, and the last thing I remember is that it was bigger than a tree, bigger than an office block, and was a horrible black thing filling most of the horizon. And I was only smoking Gauloises at the time.

49. Tim Blair
    Paris Hilton

mheeeeeeeh

can't beat them welsh mountain shrooms...

Most likely an "unfornicated fluffy object" sheep love can do strange thing to welshie..

paris hilton because she's to dumb to say no

50. Richard

Memory failure ??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7457653.stm

If otherworld aliens existed there would be some, any, physical evidence ... not just things people thought they saw.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.