back to article Devil dog laughs in the face of Taser

A Saarf London teen's Staffordshire Bull Terrier was earlier this week shot dead by police after an attempt to subdue the devil mutt with a Taser failed to stop it in its tracks. According to the Telegraph, officers confronted the 13-year-old lad's "dangerous" animal on the mean streets of Croydon on Monday night. A Scotland …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Armed Police!

When you absoultely, positively, got to kill, every mother barker in the room!

2. Jamie Kitson

Surely The Best Excuse For

...popped a cap in the bitch's anti-social arse.

or should that be pooped?

3. Chris Thomas
    Stop

At least it's just a dog

I hear in the US + other less civilised places, they do this to humans too

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Cause of death

They can't blame this one on "Excited Delirium"!!

5. Stu
    Flame

Police shoot the wrong target again!

They shot the wrong animal... they should have aimed for the yoof in the baseball cap!

6. Solomon Grundy

Police are Pussies

The dog injured them so badly they didn't even have to go to the hospital! How terrible. My cat has injured me so badly I didn't have to go to this hospital.

Then they tased and killed the dog - whilst destroying the evidence that the dog was dangerous. More likely they didn't like the kid so that killed his dog and arrested him.

That's what police do you know - they suck, then they kill your dog.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Armed to the Teeth

These chav scum walk the streets armed with their dogs (and knives/guns) intimidating everyone around. It's just a miracle that the plods actually did something about it.

I'm still surprised that the plods actually got involved and enven more surprised that they did something practical.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

They tased the wrong one

I grew up with Staffordshire bull terriers. They are incredibly soft soppy things that wouldn't harm a fly (other than by sheer stupidity or not knowing their own strength)

Assuming no-one was actively attacking the owner of the pooch, in which case their natural pack protectiveness kicks in, then this dog had been mistreated, or trained to attack people. In which case, it's the owner who should be being tased as well.

9. phil

blah

I've got a staff, he's not some vicious killer dog either, but if someone, 'police' or not started pointing things at him or more importantly me i can imagine he may get the hump slightly and kick off. Like said above its the whole pack instinct thing.

Unfortunately i have little time for the police and there actions as usually in my experience they would rather nick people for no seatbelt or something equally as daft than actually do the job there paid to do which is nick criminals.

10. Andy H
    Unhappy

@They tased the wrong one

Nearly all dogs are soppy if brought up right and nearly all kids are respectful valuable members of society if brought up right too, so as the kid was some chav scum the poor dog didn't stand a chance

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Staffs are hardcore

They're usually not dangerous though, unless you happen to be another dog.

Perhaps the Plod manhandled this lad?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The first of many

I hope.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wrong target

shoulda tazer'd and capp'd the owner instead

taking down the dog mearly cures the symptom, not the disease itself

14. Lloyd

Are you sure it was a pit bull?

It could have been Kate Moss visiting relatives, she's been awfully quiet of late.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Police missed a trick here

The could have shot the dog owner as well, it would have stopped it going throught the courts

16. Peter
    Black Helicopters

brilliant

Always cheers me up hearing such stories of where I live (yes, I'm afraid I'm a Croydonian)

Would've loved to have seen the look on the kids face when it happened

Now if only they'd shoot the pesky chav owners too...

Role on the el Reg reconstruction tomorrow

Copter? They have bigger guns...

17. Schultz
    Alert

Isn't it... ?

cruel and inhuman treatment to t(e)ase a dog before his execution? Fortunately it was only dog and not Swiss lettuce, so no reason to invoke Geneva here.

18. Steve Oliver
    Dead Vulture

What a fantastic story...

...for me to poop on!

/ I keed, I keed.

19. Charles Tsang
    Black Helicopters

Not the dog you are looking for...

Heh, I was expecting some mutant hybrid dog monster out of Spore Creature Creator!

But it was just a Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is an official breed and not on the banned dogs list.

# the Pit Bull Terrier

# the Japanese tosa

# the Dogo Argentino

# the Fila Brasileiro

But the clarification here http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/dogs.htm is quite specific in that it's type of dog not breed/species. And you are also liable for a dangerous dog that harms anyone.

From the web site reading, does that mean if I attack a dog owner or the dog and it bites me, I can then complain of a dangerous dog and have it destroyed?

Hmmm seems open to abuse doesn't it?

Not that the police would do anything like cover ups or harassment...

20. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Non lethal weapons

don't do the trick so the police instantly respond with lethal firepower.

Note to criminals - if tasered, drop to the ground of your own free will or get shot with a real gun.

21. Tim
    Coat

was it called well'ard?

you cant stop a dog like that, they are hard as nails. But seems they didnt try the oldest trick in the book....

A string of sausages. Would have distracted the dog (if my cartoon memory serves me correctly)

Mine's the one with the baby matress on the arms.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dog's aren't dangerous

Idiotic police who torture dogs are dangerous.

Seriously - don't threaten a dog, or a member of it's pack, and it won't bite you.

Don't try and shock it, it's going to take that as a threat!

I hope the pillocks get done for cruelty to the poor pup

23. Sam

Thet should have shot the chav

As someone said to me once; "If the world needed an enema, Croydon is where God would shove it".

24. Ian Brown
    Coat

Playmobil

Where's the playmobil re-enactment?

25. E_Nigma
    Stop

Cops Are Becoming Taser and Trigger-Happy

The thing is that we don't have enough information. Why did the cops stop the boy and try to detain his dog in the first place? Had anyone been attacked, I guess it would have been reported, so that shouldn't be it. Also, had any of them really been bitten, that one would have needed medical treatment, which means that that didn't happen either. So what did the poor creature do? Piss on someone's boot?!

26. Norbury

re: Dogs aren't dangerous

you talk from your arse, AC. Plenty of dogs have bitten people who weren't posing any threat to them or their 'pack'. Not necessarily just dangerous and/or badly trained dogs either. Unless you count walking past the end of a drive on the public pavement as threatening? (Just one real life example)

27. Liam Johnson

Rabid dogs

I must also admit to wondering how bad this dog could be if they didn’t even need to pop down the A&E to have a few scratches cleaned up.

28. Andrew Bolton

Take it further...

To those people who say it should have been the yoof who got shot - the parents of a 13 year old who allow him out at night with a "dangerous" dog so he can no doubt _train_ the dog to attack people are the one that should have been tased then shot, IMNSHO.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lest anyone forget

NYC have street cleaners for handling this sort of situation.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Less civilized places...?

Like if you're a Brazilian electrician in some conspicuously unnamed great world capitol?

31. Jamie Kephalas
    Happy

cest la vie

Life's a bitch, then they kill yours!

@ Ian Brown

L O L

32. threaded
    Flame

Tasers non-lethal?

Tasers non-lethal? Give me a break!

Poor doggy, it was only doing what it was trained to do.

33. Daniel B.
    Dead Vulture

Dogs can be dangerous!

I've got some bad experience ... I remember some jackass leaving his dog right outside his home about 5 years ago at night. One time I was walking back from my girlfriend's house and nearly got attacked by the damn dog, only because I was walking on the same sidewalk this dog was. I then proceeded to get a 5Kg rock and pass thru again. Had the dog attacked me, I'm sure he'd be dead.

Wonder why did the plods bothered anyway? They could've just called in the street sweepers! ;)

@Charles Tsang - "From the web site reading, does that mean if I attack a dog owner or the dog and it bites me, I can then complain of a dangerous dog and have it destroyed?"

Did you see the first Beethoven movie? That's basically what the "bad guy" does.

Dead vulture 'coz he was attacked by the chav's dog.

34. Liam

hmmm

i guess they msut have thought the dog was brazillian :)

the thing is you see these retards time and time again. my little <insert chavvy dog name> (i used to know a coke dealer who had a little white one called Charlie! sigh) is fine. he's lovely.

sorry, but bollocks. these types of dog were bread for fighting. hence the fact you cannot get their jaws unlocked. there is simply no place in society for this type of fighting dog.

@ "I grew up with Staffordshire bull terriers. They are incredibly soft soppy things that wouldn't harm a fly (other than by sheer stupidity or not knowing their own strength)" - ive had this argument with my mrs - whose parents have a massive german shep (stands about 4ft high and over 6ft on back legs!). they MIGHT be normally nice and soft, its the fact that if provoked they can and will kill/maim. its not even the dogs fault. a good example is when i first when round the mrs' parents' house and was basically told not to make any alarming sudden movements or play fight with the mrs... as this dog will rip me a new arse hole! he is just protecting her, i know that.

for me the fact that this animal can do serious damage means it shouldnt be in the hands of none-trained people - like police dog handlers etc. there are plenty of smaller dogs which make much better pets and dont have locking jaws. as far as im concerned any dog of this type that hurts anyone, the owener should be directly responsible. e.g if a dog rips my arm up - do the owner with a section 47/abh/gbh.

btw - im a big dog person - love em, but some dogs arent meant for pets.

next thing we will hear is that the dog had been smoking 'killer' skunk! or even worse, it was a polish staffy! :)

@ "Seriously - don't threaten a dog, or a member of it's pack, and it won't bite you." bollocks mate! sorry but thats such bollocks its not even worth going into! some dogs are just as bad as some people...

35. Scott

How dangerous?

Was it so dangerous that it hung around visciuosly waiting for the SWAT team to appear??

36. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

You weren't there...

... so you're not in a position to say whether the dog was a danger to the police or others. Yes, police often exceed their authority and use unnecessary violence. Yes, they often overreact to a simple problem, shooting when taking a moment to let the owner calm the animal down would do the job.

However, they may also have been confronted by an animal that had been abused or goaded into being viciously aggressive. There are many people who train their animals to attack on command, or to attack strangers. It's a form of machismo and a way to intimidate others with less risk of being arrested for it - you can just claim the dog was startled and got a bit defensive.

Considering that the police felt it necessary to tase the dog, and that tasing didn't stun or stop the dog, shooting it sounds entirely justified.

As for the lack of injuries to the officers - well, are you saying they should have waited until the dog had maimed one of them, before taking action? Not likely.

It would be lovely if all vicious animals could be subdued and taken somewhere for protection and perhaps rehabilitation, but we can't even do that with our own species.

I don't really care if there's no IT angle. Still, I often wonder how some of these articles get published...

37. Sketch-UK
    Stop

Who let the dogs out

Surely armed police was a bit OTT.

Couldn't they have used one of those long poles with a hoop. In the US these have been used on alligators, so I'm sure a staffy wouldn't be too much trouble.

At the very most a tranquilliser dart. These have been used on everything from grizzly bears to elephants, so I think it would work on a mutt.

38. smell fresher

Instead of tazers

Instead of tazers why don't police carry nets? Nets with a drawstring so you can make the offender into a bundle and drag them off to wherever you want to drag them.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I just don't understand the issue...

Here in the USA, I can legally put down a dog that is "menacing". I do not need to taser it first, nor do I need to call a cop. The courts have ruled numerous times that cops are not here to protect us, they are here to mop up after the fact.

I guess I am just too used to being a citizen instead of being a subject.

Granted, in the following lawsuit I would need to defend the use of deadly force and validate the dog was indeed a menace. So while I might consider Paris Hilton's pink pocket poodle a menace, the court may take a rather dim view on my perceptions.

40. This post has been deleted by its author

41. fixit_f
    Thumb Down

Poor Staffies

What a shame. I feel really sorry for Staffies I know you can't generalise but in my experience they're normally absolutely wonderful natured dogs. Unfortunately the fucking chavs have spotted that they're muscular and look a little like pit bulls and so they're getting them, mistreating them, not training them and generally giving the poor things a bad reputation.

42. Ceilidhman
    Dead Vulture

50,000 volts

That must have been a Hotdog then.

Mine's the one with ketchup and mustard

43. Kevin Gurney

*** The Sun ***

Hate to quote from the worst source in the world, but their article on this story alledges that the 999 boys tazered the dog after it was encouraged by it's owner to attack them.

Is that true? I wasn't there so can't comment but it would make the situation more believable for me.

44. ratfox

Waiting for Webster...

To blame it on Steve Jobs...

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep, it's Dog-Kill Week in your super soaraway Reg!

or, if not actually killing, just humiliating a bit

46. Dave

Re: I just don't understand the issue...

I don't care what the law says, if a dog attacks me then I'm must saving the court's time if I kill it, because they then don't have to rule on whether it should be put down.

As for Staffies, my sister has two and they are both scared of me despite me never having done anything to them apart from come into their presence with a bigger dog (who did flatten one of them when challenged).

As for pocket poodles, yes they are a menace, although the standard poodles are nice dogs because they don't have anything to prove.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad Experience

Me and my Labrador were once attacked by some knobhead's pitbull type dog after he'd goaded the thing. I kicked the bastard thing off me and went home, I got my baseball bat that I ALWAYS keep for hitting burglars and went past it again. The knobhead owner goaded it again to go for me so when it did I just twatted it on its back. I think I broke its spine and I then proceeded to break the knobheads arm when he tried to intervene.

He didnt complain to the plods but I definitely dont recommend it as a course of action. Id have possibly quite rightly been done for at least assault on the knobhead.

The dog didnt stand a chance with the owner it had but they were a serious danger to the community so needed to be split up. The owner had trained it to be a dangerous animal.

I dont doubt the knobhead has got another poor creature trained up now but I now no longer live there any more so its not my problem.

48. Adam

@Dog's aren't dangerous

You're entirely correct. It's always the person attacked who is to blame. I was once walking down the road in shorts and flip-flops (in other words, dressed up in a HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE OUTFIT), when I decided I would use The Force to attract a large, adult male Alsation from the other side of the road. I then proceeded to force my forearm into his mouth, and closed his jaws around it so the teeth went into the flesh. Yup, all my fault.

Ass.

I don't bear a grudge against the dog, as far as I'm concerned the dog was brought up badly (make obedience school a legal requirement and bring back the dog licence), and was angry because of its owner.

The owner's stupidity put me in a difficult ethical quandry: 1) report the dog, and have its death on my conscience or 2) not report the dog, and risk it killing a human child.

49. Andy Bright

@Chris Thomas

Their police might kill people out of hand for such crimes as being a minority immigrant, but at least they call out professional dog handlers in situations like this.

No US cop would shoot a dog unless they were actually being attacked, and if you have time to call in armed police, you aren't being attacked by a dog - at least not very aggressively.

So they call in dog handlers, who simply collar the dog using one of those poles with a wire hoop attached, cage it, kennel it and then ask the public to sponsor it. It's evaluated by someone who knows what he's talking about, and only if that person deems the dog beyond being trained out of its aggressiveness will it be put down.

And no, dogs aren't kept in small cages without ever being exercised, at least not legally. And if the tear-jerking commercials get enough of the public to provide sponsorship for the animals, they're looked after properly for the rest of their natural lives. If the money runs out, the dog is offered to private shelters. If they're all full, it's then given about 2 months (on average) before being put down.

50. Brian
    Thumb Down

@ Liam

I wondered who would be the first to trot out the usual BS about locking jaws. Staffordshire Bull Terriers are strong, but their jaws are not anatomically different than those of other dogs. Same goes for for the other breeds this is falsely attributed to: American Pit Bulls, and Bull Terriers.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.