back to article Facebook Troll sends mob against Cluley

Security personality Graham Cluley has become the target of a hate campaign after a "troll" criticising the British army posted a picture of the anti-virus expert in his Facebook profile. Graham Cassell started a Facebook group condoning recent attacks on British Army cadets wearing uniform in public. This stance predictably …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. phil

News at 11

People are stupid, now the weather ...

2. David Austin

I'm I the only one worried...

...About the fact Facebook didn't want to know about it, until slapped with a copyright notice?

The moral of the story: Photoshop Bestiality is all right, as long as you use public domain stock photos.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh dear...

... this is part of a trolling attempt, which was started on the Get Huntley Off Facebook group. The idea was to provoke stupid people who join groups to write "ILL CUT TH PEDOS HEDZ OFF IF I HAD THE CHANCE" and suchlike, usually as a reaction to tripe tabloid stories, into realising that Ian Huntley isn't actually on Facebook.

Poor Cluley seems to be caught in the middle due to said thickies and their limitless happy fun tabloid rage.

You have to laugh, otherwise you'd cry. I wish Graham had used a picture of Steve Jobs instead.

4. Edward Pearson
    Flame

This is BAD.

If I'm a cadet and I want to wear my uniform, I fucking will. How DARE you try and tell me what to wear! This is not a direction we want the country to go in!

If I want to wear a spacesuit, painted with abusive slogans, a purple hat with green spots and PVC trousers on my way to work in the morning, I fucking will, that is why we say: This is a free country.

Every day we take more notes from the US, and our country gets less and less free.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@Edward Pearson

Dress up as a police man if you want, and see how free the country is.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook user = Twat

Exactly the reason why people shouldn't waste their precious time with this purile shite.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just Cluley, this is an everyday experience

But these idiots strike at anyone and 'Joe Jobbing' is just one of the weapons in their arsenal. If someone says something unpopular in a web forum or usenet they are likely to find themselves cyberstalked, stalked in real life, their family will receive threatening emails and phone calls, and employers or customers can also fidn themselves be targetted.

The ISPs, "social networking sites", news and webhosts involved largely don't care and will take no action unless the police are involved or the threats involve copyright breaches. A common stance taken is "we don't get involved in disputes between customers", which ignores the fact that this harassment isn't a dispute it's systematic abuse. Unfortunately the police are completely clueless about this, and don't even know where to begin with a complaint of this nature.

8. The Other Steve

Stupid is as stupid does

(whatever the hell that means).

I mean seriously, let me count the ways :

This "Cassel" bloke has a name, and presumably a facebook profile, so rather than spamming that, people take the time to hunt down a matching mugshot, associated with a very unlikely source of such commentary, and start on him instead, huh ?

And which genius comes up with a piece of logic like "Bloke condones violence! Violence bad! I know, send death threat to blokes wife! Good!". Clearly some retard having a day off from protesting for equal rights for guinea pigs and finding himself at a loose end, what with not having any grannies to exhume just now.

And as for tussling with squaddies, just how damned stupid can you get ? "Look, there's a trained killer! Get him! Oh noes! My teefsh!"

Still, perhaps there will be an upside, perhaps the riotous mob will learn the error of their ways and feel some shame, might stop them acting like such twats in the future. Unlikely, but we can always hope. And hey, for the first time ever I'm feeling some sympathy for Graham Cluley, that's new.

9. Jerome

DMCA FTW!!!1

Abusive emails, death threats, defamation - all fine. Copyright infringement? OMG, better sort this out STAT! Why does this not surprise me?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Edward Pearson

Eh? Did you not get the point of the story? Or was that some kind of sarcastic comment that went straight over my head?

Paris because I feel blonde

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No longer available

The profile is gone. If you search for Graham Cassell, there's no profile anymore.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I hate stories that reconfirm

every negative opinion I hold about a certain group of people. It's not sporting, where is the fun of it if they just walk around behaving like ignorant amoeba.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Gigabyte you're not fooling anyone ....

.... stop this at once, you're a very naughty girl!

;-x

14. Stuart Cherrington
    Happy

@ Edward Pearson

How do you get PVC trousers over the spacesuit? I've been trying all day and still can't manage it

15. Craig Moore
    Alert

IT Just goes to show

There is a large majority of these people who probably don't even feel much for the subject. A chance to annoy and disturb someone arrises and they rarely care and just jump in

16. Chris C

EOL

It's stories like this that reaffirm my belief that we must prevent the human species from reaching other planets. We, as a whole, should *NOT* survive. The best thing to happen to the universe will be the destruction of the human species. And looking at recent history, it won't take that long, either.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Maybe...

This will stop Cluley from strong-arming his way into EVERY IT Security magazine on earth for a couple of days? Mind you, I didn't see him at InfoSec this week, is he still in Cambodia, or did the trolls get him?

18. Graham Cluley

Re: Where was Cluley at Infosec?

I was there! Booth F130. You should have dropped by and claimed your free t-shirt and blue slushie.

By the way, I'm grateful for John at The Register for writing up this story - it appears to have stirred Facebook into action zapping some of the other offending material about me and my family up there.

This topic is closed for new posts.