back to article Frattini blows off Brussels to join Berlusconi.gov

Silivio Berlusconi's re-election as Italian Prime Minister may be good news for the citizens of that beautiful if occasionally disorganised land, but it will also rob the European Union of one of its most impressive intellects. Berlusconi, fresh from demonstrating that having a hair transplant and calling your female opponents …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter D'Hoye
    Flame

It also shows...

...that democracy doesn't work. Nobody with a sane mind would vote for somebody mentioned so many times in corruption affairs.

Same goes for the US btw, although Bush has little to do with corruption, more like plain stupidity.

Maybe take an IQ test before allowing to vote?

2. Bob Holness
    Coat

Abominations unto Frattini

If he gets stuck thinking up new things to ban then perhaps he can turn to Mr Pratchett for a handy starter for 10....

http://www.discworldstampfans.co.uk/stamps/Other/abomination.htm

3. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

I'm a very worried italian.

Half of us Italians have been brainwashed by tv and soccer.

("Panem et Circenses", bread and entertainment, like the Roman emperors did to keep the masses quiet... we have a history of these methods.)

It's the only reason a catastrophe like this could have happened.

We'll do the same as Americans did when Bush was elected: a website with each of us with a sign stating "I didn't vote for him".

I am *so* *very* *worried* about the future of my country.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

At Peter D'Hoye

Being all politicians in Italy corrupted equal it really makes no difference which side you vote. BTW: Italy is nothing compared to what I see happening in Bruxelles at EU level.

Paris because she is not corrupted, just plain easy.

An Italian abroad.

5. Graham Dawson Silver badge

@AC

Don't worry. The government you elect actually has very little power these days. The real government is in Brussels.

Of course, you don't get to vote for *them*...

6. Spleen

Back again at 72

The man is like a Rolling Stone. Mugabe, Fukuda, McCain, Berlusconi... the gerontocracy is back in town, woooaaahhh.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

LOL!

A couple of facts:

1) Frattini has been rumored (and even named by Berlusconi) to be the next foreign minister. But Prodi is still up there, reigning over Italy. So, we may chat about Frattini's role in the next governament WHEN there is going to be a new governament (in about a month, if all goes well).

2) @AC: To go around and talk about "brain washing" is just plainly offensive. At least have a little self esteem: you are Italian, for Godsake, show it and be proud! We, who voted for Berlusconi, have decided that the comunist party didn't do any good for Italy and so we did cast our vote. Go sue us for using our democratic rights!

3) @Peter: You have to know how the justice system works in Italy to appreciate the issue. Just to give you an example: the prosecutor left 2 kids die out of hunger and cold because he didn't listen to the father and even charged the father for murder and slam him in jail, all without any proof. We do need a serious assessment of our juditial system.

4) @Graham: I totally agree with you!

Why Paris? 'cause as least she is a nice looking woman! ;)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Brain washing

I'm not talking about political views here.

I agree the former government didn't do any good to the country. I'm just astonished by how people still vote for this man (_man_, not party, nor political ideas). By now, I would welcome anyone who does some good, both left or right.

I just cannot understand why people still vote for a politician who is a bad example of a politician, a plain rude man, a man who controls media and industries, a politician the majority of other democratic countries would have thrown out of the parliament.

Obviously it's _my_ point of view (and that of the other half of Italy, guess what). So no harm for the democratic rights.

But you can sue me for expressing my opinion, if you like ;)

Just a quick note... there never was the communist party in charge.

It was the moderated left-wing. Just to be precise.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Re: Brain Washing

Excuse me. Mr. D'Alema was a leader of the PCI, Partito Comunista Italiano, Italian Comunist Party, and he used to go around throwing flame bombs. Mr. Veltroni was part of PCI since he was 16. The still in charge governament is an expression of the comunist party with the left wing of the old "Democrazia Cristiana" added to it, plus members of varius comunist leaders who still have the hammer and sickle in their logo.

Mr. Berlusconi, evidently, is not all that good at controlling media, since every single newspaper and TV, save 2 or 3 minor papers, do talk against him. Corriere della Sera? Best selling paper in Italy: against Berlusconi. La Repubblica? Second best seller: against him. Il Messaggero (owned by the biggest builder in Italy): against Berlusconi. La Stampa, owned by the Agnelli (FIAT group) family: against Berlusconi. Then there are the 3 governament TV channels always against him. The incredible thing is that even the channels he owns are there to criticize him. Please spare me and rest of the world of this "media tycoon owns the whole italian media industry". It simply is not true.

Now, let me make it clear: Berlusconi got 47% of casted votes. His closest competitor got 37%. The remaining 16% voted for the other 25 parties. So, shall I say that 63% of the italians didn't want a Post-Comunist like Veltroni to rule? Fine by me.

Paris. 'cause she is better looking then any politician.

10. Mark Flingstone

Stop

making assholes of yourselves discussing which choice would have been the best for the country.

Neither side has a clue of what is needed in the long run to get out of trouble - education and a recipe of the 1980's: perestroika.

We got lots of money thrown at the 3 "I"; english, computer science, private sector into schools. Net results: english: none-stop dubbing foreign movies and you'll see; computer science: ok, now kids know how to start windows, a right skill when they turn 20; private sector: MIA.

Re: perestroika, just guess what will happen if every contract were awarded to the best competitor instead of the worst, but bribe-paying one.

Just another bunch of italians venting their anger in the wrong place...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Mark

But I am not angry, mind you! I am just tired to see a lot of disinformation being thrown around just 'cause someone doesn't like the other side. One thing is to be critical about someone, another is to lie about them.

In the end the point is quite lame. There was an election and a bunch of people decided to cast their vote for their prefered party. The rest is history.

This topic is closed for new posts.