back to article Google offers tools to find victims of child abuse

The US-based National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) is adopting custom-made Google technology to combat the sexual abuse of children. Analysts from NCMEC's Child Victim Identification Program (CVIP) have reviewed more than 13m child abuse images and videos as part of their mission to identify and rescue …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete
    Alert

'Reviewed'

"Analysts from NCMEC's Child Victim Identification Program (CVIP) have reviewed more than 13m child abuse images and videos."

Paedos!

More seriously, all that data is a bit concerning, especially considering the number of stories about [child] data going missing recently.

2. TrishaD

What's the worse job......?

I cannot think of a more appalling job than having to sift through this sort of stuff.

Nor a more worthwhile one....

I'm somewhat cynical of Google's data mining tendencies out in the 'real world' but they should only be applauded for their support to these agencies .....

3. Cherry Black
    Thumb Up

I agree with TrishaD

I'm personally considering a career in digital forensics, but the thought of what one might encounter in a normal day's work is somewhat off putting.

Thumbs up to those who help get those bastards dealt with. (No comment as to the state of the legal system in this country though)

4. Robert Oakes
    Flame

hello is also a problem

maybe Google should implement this into their hello program. i cannot count the times sickos have asked me if i have any illegal pics!!!!!!

People who work in this field have my full respect, i could not do their job as i would most likely break down in tears or want to go out and form a vigilante mob

5. ImaGnuber
    Thumb Up

@Cherry Black

Don't want to be too off-putting because it is valuable work but try to get some idea of what you will be dealing with. I worked for a police agency (not forensics) and they kindly offered a photo album to view after I was hired with a gracious option to decline the job with no hard feelings if I couldn't deal with it. I was warned that I would see worse - though I had no idea how much worse it could get. I no longer work for them. Civilians have no idea what the police often have to deal with - which is sometimes beyond imagining - which is why I now have tremendous respect for the police and absolutely none for the whiners.

And I mean NONE.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ TrishaD

:I cannot think of a more appalling job than having to sift through this sort of stuff."

Try being an ICU nurse and seeing a mother setting next to her dying 16 year old son.

7. Charles Manning
    Dead Vulture

Digital forensics easier than the real world type

Seeing a picture is a lot easier on the digestion than being up close to human remains etc.

While I've never done the latter, I have had the task of disposing of a sheep that had been dead for about a week. Try to pull it closer to the hole to bury it and bits drop off... maggots. all over.. and the stench is something terrible. As least I could use a pole to push it around. If that was a dumped human body the basic problem would be the same, but you'd also be expected to treat it respectfully and carefully while looking for evidence.

No thanks! I think I'll stick with bytes.

8. Andraž Levstik

And here I was thinking google did something usable

I thought they were going to link this with their wast orwelian database and have it automaticaly try to find/identify possible victims/perps... but all they did was add a "omg I can do searching ma!" to it all...

They still need to do most of the gruntwork themselves... Automate what you can:

Try to deblob the images, find images of them on various sites, try to id everyone and everything...

Still they do deserve something for the effort... Especially if they were kind enough to do it pro-bono(which I doubt but ok...)

9. TrishaD

@AC

Yes, alright, APART from being an ICU nurse......

Its a figure of speech, you know?

Anyone in either occupation is liable to suffer high degrees of stress and distress and I wouldnt do either of them for twice what I'm paid now.....

Ok?

10. Turgut Kalfaoglu
    Thumb Down

The Big Google Brother

Ok, I'm now convinced. Even for this undeniably "good" task, google is now the official big brother of the internet - thus, the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.