back to article Boffins demo OLED-on-a-roll production process

General Electric scientists have worked out how to manufacture OLED displays on a roll, a process that they hope will one day allow panels to be punched out cheaply and cut to size like cloth. So far, GE's researchers have simply demonstrated such an approach is possible. But they believe that, with further development, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Phil
    Thumb Up

Make it absorbant and...

21st centruy loo roll has finally arrived!

2. Hywel Thomas
    Thumb Up

Display sheet as a replaceable part ?

I reckon that if the display part is easy and cheap enough to produce, it could become a replaceable part. Switch off telly, unclip bezel, take out old sheet, stick new one in, clip bezel back on. 5 minute job. Like changing a bulb in a projector.

If 'they' can make it cheap enough, it doesn't matter if the OLED degrades over a couple of years. It gives the TV manufacturers a steady revenue stream too. Lifetime cost might go up for the consumer, but the picture (if the OLED TV I've seen are typical), will be worth it.

I guess there could be a danger of an inkjet cart situation. Cheap TVs, expensive replacement OLED sheets.

3. Stephen
    Thumb Up

Get a move on

All I want to know is how long it is going to be before I can wallpaper my sitting room with this stuff

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Phil - Right on!

Then you can truly say the sun shines out of your arse!

5. Martin Lyne

Hmm

Annoying animated banner adverts EVERYWHERE in future?

Oh well, at least we can pinch them and reprogram them..

6. Danny
    Thumb Up

Hopefully

It will make that awesome Optimus Maximus keyboard more affordable. Def getting one of those once they are sensible price!

7. Anonymous John

Softscreens

They feature in the last three Arthur C Clarke novels and once unrolled, connect wirelessly to any nearby computer equipment.

I can't wait.

One is even scrunched up and put in someones pocket. I hope they're snot resistant.

The coat with the OLED screen on the back, please.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Martin Lyne

Futurologists (spit) seem to be obsessed with the idea: have a gander at Minority Report and see if you can spot Tom Cruise amidst the shimmering walls of personally targetted advertising covering every available surface. The scary thing is, they're making it happen: already you can't move on the London Underground without being assaulted by some form of motion graphics.

9. Steve Roper
    Gates Horns

Re: Display sheet as replaceable part

Much as that would be fantastic, there's no way that's going to happen. What will happen is that the TVs will be (fairly) cheap, say 50-100 quid, they'll last a couple of years, and then you'll have to buy a whole new TV and send the old one to landfill. Even though a replacement screen would cost a few pence, you won't be able to buy them for less than the cost of a new TV, because the plug-in method will be some kind of proprietary connector for each manufacturer that costs shitloads to buy, can't be sourced from anywhere else, and breaks into a million bits if you try to remove the old one to reuse it. So even if you buy a roll of these OLED screens, you won't be able to replace your or anyone else's TV screen with them because the on-roll ones won't have that expensive magic connector. That's how these companies make their obscene profits - it's called "planned obsolescence".

It's like the $39.95 (AUD) inkjets you can get from OfficeWorks in my city - it SEEMS cheaper to throw out the printer and buy a whole new one when the cartridges run dry, than to shell out the $60 odd for a single new cartridge ($120 to replace both) - even though the cartridges must cost MUCH less to make than the damn printer! Except that the manufacturer sneakily gets around it by selling the printers with only half-full cartridges. Stay away from them; those cheap printers are money traps... and these OLED TVs will be just the same!

Evil Bill because he is the master of planned obsolescence!

10. Richard Kay
    Stop

Incandescents modern ?

"Four years ago, GE demo'd a 60 x 60cm OLED panel capable of producing as much light as a modern incandescent bulb."

Do many people still use Victorian incandescent bulbs ? I changed all mine over to fluorescents years ago. Given how old and indefensible these energy wasters are and the fact they should now be banned, I'm a bit surprised incandescents are called "modern" in this article.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like