back to article eBay makes nice with MercExchange

After six years of legal bickering, which included a trip to the highest court in the land, eBay and MercExchange have finally settled their long running patent dispute. Yesterday, the world's most popular online auction house announced that it will purchase the three MercExchange patents at the heart of this epic battle - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"the case went before The Supremes."

So, what does Diana Ross know about ebay then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Re: Diana Ross

I suspect she knows as much about ebay as the rest of the SJC...

3. Matt Horrocks
    Thumb Down

Bloody stupid patents

I know, let's invent a way to buy things by clicking a button! How the hell can something like this be patented, just the same as someone patenting the idea of a shop where you pick items up and take them to the till and pay...

Bloody morons.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and while they are making nice...

It appears that they may also be artificually inflating their auction counts to look better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mePI-UWDGOE

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jspa?threadID=2000527568&start=0

Anom, cause they may be hunting people reporting this...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

application snafu?

To AC, the videos suggest that ebay are inflating their ratings with unbiddable listings, a large percentage of which start with "sdc_" followed by numbers. A thread on the ebay forum has a support rep stating that sdc entries are shopping.com entries which are showing on ebay by mistake. Nobody is accepting that and are all going on about "DNS is different" and the like.

To me this looks like a simple application cockup. Ebay own shopping.com and it appears that the same back-end is being used to store the entries for products on ebay and shopping.com. It looks like each sdc_xxxxxx 'user' entry is a product set for shopping.com.

If there was a mistake with the way this data was handled, it could indeed cause these 'users' to appear in normal ebay auction searches. It has nothing to do with DNS - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I'm not sure I fully believe ebay aren't up to something, especially as the snafu has conveniently filled in some of the gap from the boycott, but this does look to me like a back-end cockup rather than outright perversion as many are claiming.

Of course many people have already made up their minds and will seek out anything which supports their beliefs. So this was just my 2 pence bid.

6. Graham Lockley

Patent Application

My patent involves the placing of physical goods into a basket made from wire (or similar substance) which is then taken to an unpacking point whereupon the value of the goods is tallied and payment is made.

Look out Tesco, Asda etc. coz my lawyer wants a word.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

same AC as above

Many poeple have attempted to get ebays stance on this, the thing is that the auctions go up, and if you look at the user ids, not all have been sdc_ .

In some cases, where the usernames were not "sdc_" they showed up as random names but then "sdc_ " in the "my ebay" areas (but not all did).

Also, if they were some kind of cockup in the systems, why would ebay just delete the forum postings (over 10 removed threads so far) rather then just saying what it was.

Not to mention, even if you are running the same backend, for mutliple style sites, who would be stupid enough to allow the database systems from one, to be able to interact with another?

I run multiple sites myself, all using the same backend, and at no point can one "read" the others database.

At least not without someone doing a bofh on the system.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like